Can't post using smartphone

Nick83

Since the new board change, I can't type any messages when using my smartphone. I tap the message box to begin typing, but my keyboard does not come up on my phone. There is no way to do anything.

Since the new board change, I can't type any messages when using my smartphone. I tap the message box to begin typing, but my keyboard does not come up on my phone. There is no way to do anything.

what kind of phone works slick as shit for me

Ok. So I guess no one is listening, which is disappointing.

Someone else must be having the same problem. I have a relatively modern phone, a Samsung Galaxy S2, and have never had this problem anywhere before. So to those that run this board, it would probably be worth it to do a little bit of investigation and fix it. Thank you.

I'm listening, was waiting for you to answer with what kind of phone you're using - not much point two people asking you and I can't do any troubleshooting unless I know what you're using..

Are you using the board with the mobile skin (blue and white), or is the full site (black grey yellow) appearing?

Thank you. I am using the full site with the black theme.

I normally use the desktop option on my mobile browser. I didn't try the mobile option for this site yet.

I would prefer to view the full site when I'm on my smartphone, so if that is possible, that would be great.

Thank you. I am using the full site with the black theme.

I normally use the desktop option on my mobile browser. I didn't try the mobile option for this site yet.

I would prefer to view the full site when I'm on my smartphone, so if that is possible, that would be great.

Well the desktop option has features not compatible with a mobile browser, so there's your issue. That's the whole point of having the mobile skin that loads on default.

If you use the full skin on a mobile browser, then you'll experience bugs that we can't fix, so I do suggest using the mobile skin instead. If you're insistent on using the full skin, then try downloading Google Chrome to your mobile and using that instead of the default browser on the S II.

Cheers.

Ok. That's interesting, because I have never had a problem posting on any forum or any problem relating to the use of the desktop option. This is the first and only time. If I were you guys, I would really try to make the "desktop on mobile" option work, because a lot of people hate the mobile mode, and refuse to use it on their phones.

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know of any problems with Chrome on iPhone? I prefer it over Safari, but it crashes every time I try to log in.

It's really buggy. I've found it works great on my Galaxy Nexus, but it's complete rubbish on my iPad and crashes pretty frequently (not just on here either). I think the IOS version is still in the beta stages so they're still ironing out the kinks.

P5, the post box really needs a full, proper browser to work correctly - mobiles simply can't render the code properly. It's not something I can modify with the skin or anything like that, it's something that the smartphones themselves need to work on. They can't process the scripts to resize the box properly, and the formatting/emoticons buttons don't display and mess things up.

I realise a lot of people prefer browsing on the full skin on a mobile, but the reality is that it's not something we can support. If there are problems browsing the board on a mobile with the mobile skin, then I can work on them; but the whole idea of a mobile skin is that it's compatible with mobile phones. If you use the full board skin, then there are going to be bugs - and I can't address those bugs without removing functionality for the people that browse with a computer.

Where I'd like to focus my efforts (but have zero knowledge on) is developing an app (I see a lot of boards now describe themselves as "android/iphone native"). I imagine this could give us significant improvements over the existing mobile interface, but as I have no experience in this area, it's probably going to take me a little while. ;)

Anyone know of any problems with Chrome on iPhone? I prefer it over Safari, but it crashes every time I try to log in.

It's really buggy. I've found it works great on my Galaxy Nexus, but it's complete rubbish on my iPad and crashes pretty frequently (not just on here either). I think the IOS version is still in the beta stages so they're still ironing out the kinks.

Thanks!

P5, the post box really needs a full, proper browser to work correctly - mobiles simply can't render the code properly. It's not something I can modify with the skin or anything like that, it's something that the smartphones themselves need to work on. They can't process the scripts to resize the box properly, and the formatting/emoticons buttons don't display and mess things up.

I realise a lot of people prefer browsing on the full skin on a mobile, but the reality is that it's not something we can support. If there are problems browsing the board on a mobile with the mobile skin, then I can work on them; but the whole idea of a mobile skin is that it's compatible with mobile phones. If you use the full board skin, then there are going to be bugs - and I can't address those bugs without removing functionality for the people that browse with a computer.

Where I'd like to focus my efforts (but have zero knowledge on) is developing an app (I see a lot of boards now describe themselves as "android/iphone native"). I imagine this could give us significant improvements over the existing mobile interface, but as I have no experience in this area, it's probably going to take me a little while. ;)

This would be. AWESOME :shock:

This would be. AWESOME :shock:

Agreed.