Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New music opinion

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: New music opinion (95 member(s) have cast votes)

would you rather have

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts
  • 12-April 05

An 8 song EP for Christmas. They did it with Lies, do it again! Checkmate, General, Soulmonster, Thyme, etc.

Take a few months off to vacation. Then meet back in the studio and write and record an album as a band.

Everybody wins.

I feel there are many industry factors you aren't taking into consideration. Everybody doesn't win in that situation. For hardcore GNR fans eager for new material, yes we win if the band releases an EP of previously unreleased studio recordings for Christmas this year. However, the band doesn't necessarily win in that scenario. The label doesn't necessarily win in that scenario.

The anticipation and media & retail cooperation for the next full length would be greatly compromised by the release of an EP. The best strategy for a legacy artist in GNR's position would be to make sure that the next new song the public hears is the lead single for the next full length album. It would also be in the best interest of a legacy artist in GNR's position to allow plenty of time between releases to maximize the chances of the media treating the arrival of a new release as extremely newsworthy.

You are a fan. You want to hear new music from one of your favorite bands. Very understandable. However, when you say that "everybody wins" if an EP is rushed to market, you are ignoring the potential harm to the commercial viability of the next proper album.

GNRSkidRow1

GNRSkidRow1

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,734 posts
  • 12-January 05
Yeah, it's a lot more complex than most people think.

sig-2.png
5-12-06/5-17-06/11-10-06/11-17-11/11-26-11/2-12-12/2-15-12/2-27-12/6-6-13/6-8-13/5-13-14

ChristmasFnatic

ChristmasFnatic

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • 31-August 12
DJ/BBF album. I want to test the new group, plus its unfair not to hear something they produce.

bacardimayne and I are the first official gay couple in MyGNRforum!!!

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• Supporters
  • 8,496 posts
  • 13-February 06
Call me greedy, but I want a lot of both. :shrugs:
:shrugs:

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• Supporters
  • 9,244 posts
  • 12-July 12
I don't care! Give me anything! Any-fucking-thing!!! Just make it NEW! That's all the criteria that's exists IMO.
~~~~ :awesomeface: :awesomeface: {{{{{{{{{{{{{ :awesomeface: }}}}}}}}}}}}}} :awesomeface: :awesomeface: ~~~~

GnRDuff1

GnRDuff1

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts
  • 18-June 03

An 8 song EP for Christmas. They did it with Lies, do it again! Checkmate, General, Soulmonster, Thyme, etc.

Take a few months off to vacation. Then meet back in the studio and write and record an album as a band.

Everybody wins.

I feel there are many industry factors you aren't taking into consideration. Everybody doesn't win in that situation. For hardcore GNR fans eager for new material, yes we win if the band releases an EP of previously unreleased studio recordings for Christmas this year. However, the band doesn't necessarily win in that scenario. The label doesn't necessarily win in that scenario.

The anticipation and media & retail cooperation for the next full length would be greatly compromised by the release of an EP. The best strategy for a legacy artist in GNR's position would be to make sure that the next new song the public hears is the lead single for the next full length album. It would also be in the best interest of a legacy artist in GNR's position to allow plenty of time between releases to maximize the chances of the media treating the arrival of a new release as extremely newsworthy.

You are a fan. You want to hear new music from one of your favorite bands. Very understandable. However, when you say that "everybody wins" if an EP is rushed to market, you are ignoring the potential harm to the commercial viability of the next proper album.

Agreed. But the selfish fan in me still likes Groghan's idea!
Philly 2002: No show
East Rutherford 2006: Split GA, on rail, back pit
Camden 2011: 2nd row in pit. Best show

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,942 posts
  • 12-December 08
I'd like to see GNR put out 3 CDs within 2 years and do a small handful of tours in between. They have that much music to put out, but better to dole it out the way he originally wanted ChiDem to go and not Illusions-style.

A fanclub EP randomly signed by the band would be pretty cool. They could put that out themselves and could go towards future sessions and help spur interest in the official site. Axl has to pay for that shit, might as well throw them a bone.

I do think the next new GNR song we hear will be for a soundtrack.

izzygirl

izzygirl

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,785 posts
  • 28-February 10
Brand new fresh out of the oven. This band already has to deal with the ghosts of the past 24 hours a day, so fresh stuff would be much better for everybody.

21km35y.jpg

No son ojos porque los ves. Son ojos porque te miran.

AxlRose14

AxlRose14

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • 28-February 09
Both. I'd love to hear what these guys can do, but after all of the hype, I'd love to hear the Chinese leftovers.

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Members
  • 4,388 posts
  • 12-April 05
they're not chinese left overs. most of them are songs written after the chinese songs. most of chinese was done before bucket & fortus ever joined. the band worked on multiple records over a ten year period. chinese was not the "best of the bunch." chinese was chinese and the album after that was the album after that. why should it be scrapped just because bucket and robin are gone? it's axl's band and axl is the primary creative force. everyone else is there to help bring axl's art to the world.

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,409 posts
  • 19-December 04
First page there was talk of steaks, now there's all this talk of Chinese leftovers. I'm getting hungry.

5206.jpg

Toronto 2006 - Hamilton 2010 & 2011 - Buffalo 2013

Guns n' Swedes

Guns n' Swedes

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • 12-February 10
I'm not all that excited about old stuff compared to new stuff. It will just be more stuff written by members who are no longer in the band.

I just wonder what Axl does all day when he's not touring. He had loads of time in between last tour up until the Vegas Shows.

PITBOSS

PITBOSS

DEMI-GOD

• Supporters
  • 1,130 posts
  • 05-January 12

First page there was talk of steaks, now there's all this talk of Chinese leftovers. I'm getting hungry.

that's right we are hungry we've got a appetite. feed us.

ChineseDemocracy2004

ChineseDemocracy2004

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,625 posts
  • 17-August 04
I would love it if the band released an EP of brand new material.

Chinese turns five next year, maybe the band can release some studio outtakes to commemorate the anniversary.

Awkward since 1990.

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Members
  • 4,388 posts
  • 12-April 05
Axl is and has always been the primary songwriter in Guns N' Roses. GNR is Axl Rose and whoever is playing with him. Why should he scrap songs he worked on for years simply because the touring lineup consists of a couple newer guys who weren't around for all of the studio sessions?

And as a fan, why wouldn't your primary interest be hearing the best songs possible?

And for guys like Dizzy, Tommy, Pitman and Richard, why should years of their hard work be thrown away simply because the lineup has evolved over time?

And for a guy like Buckethead, if Axl feels the two of them created some magic together, why should that be thrown away simply because Bucket isn't interested in touring?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users