Why does Led Zeppelin get compared to Black Sabbath?

Randy Lahey

Some hilarious posts here Zepp pissed all over Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Queen ( don`t make me laugh please ) and Kiss ( Big fucking LOL ) Purple, Sabbath and Lizzy were great bands but not better then Zepp not even close each zepp member was ten times better musician then their counterparts from any of these bands Queen never was my bottle of beer Kiss is a disgrace of real Rock music sound that Zepp made was years ahead then any of these bands but as wise people said each to his own

stormbringer was awesome :max:

Only ballads were good riff on self tittled rocked everything else sucked

Edited by Son of a Guns

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just opinion. In my opinion Plant is the most annoying singer in rock. His screechy vocals grate on the ears. Mercury is an infinitely greater singer (and frontman). May is a far more original guitarist than Page who merely recycles Chicago Blues riffs (especially on the first two Zep albums). May's guitar tone is the most distinctive tone in rock. You hear it and you know who it is straight away. Zeppelin's lyrics are also awful.

='moreblack' timestamp='1351914846' post='3255097']

Deep Purple are better than both bands.

Purple had good moments, but they put out more bad than good. Partly due to the constant lineup changes, not finding their identity right off the bat, meandering around in areas they shouldn't have tried, and members just plain not getting along. In Rock, Machine Head and Made In Japan are great, but everything else is very hit and miss. There's still some great moments in the other albums, but a lot of crap too.

I saw the MK II band and they were amazing and IMHO were in the same league as Sabbath and Zep but it was short lived. But I think you are short changing the later lineups...Burn, Come Taste the Band and Perfect Strangers are excellent efforts IMHO.........

It is just opinion. In my opinion Plant is the most annoying singer in rock. His screechy vocals grate on the ears. Mercury is an infinitely greater singer (and frontman). May is a far more original guitarist than Page who merely recycles Chicago Blues riffs (especially on the first two Zep albums). May's guitar tone is the most distinctive tone in rock. You hear it and you know who it is straight away. Zeppelin's lyrics are also awful.

Obviously it`s just an opinion still does n`t change fact Led Zeppelin > > > > > all of those bands combined May can`t hold Page`s broken strings

Obviously it`s just an opinion still does n`t change fact Led Zeppelin > > > > > all of those bands combined May can`t hold Page`s broken strings

Zep is in my top 5 favorite bands but when it comes to guitar playing talent Jimmy can't hold a candle to his former Yardbird mates Beck and Clapton...and you could argue Ritchie Blackmore for that matter who is vastly underrated...........now if you talking all around musician, composing, production and playing, then you have an argument IMHO...

Edited by classicrawker

Zep is in my top 5 favorite bands but when it comes to guitar playing talent Jimmy can't hold a candle to his former Yardbird mates Beck and Clapton...and you could argue Ritchie Blackmore for that matter who is vastly underrated...........now if you talking all around musician, composing, production and playing, then you have an argument IMHO...

Don`t understand what Jeff Beck has got anything to do with this discussion Beck may be a better player but Page is much better composer and songwriter Pagey destroys Clapton even at his most fucked up phase as for Blackmore, yes he`s a better guitarist then Page but as a band Led Zeppelin was bettter then Deep Purple

Edited by Son of a Guns

Page's playing bores me. Recycled Robert Johnson licks, regurgitated Muddy Waters with heavier distortion. Blackmore's classical influence and Iommi's jazz pedigree and doom-and-gloom made them infinitely more original axemen. Still prefer May to all though. Name one Page song with guitar playing as good as Brighton Rock.

Page's playing bores me. Recycled Robert Johnson licks, regurgitated Muddy Waters with heavier distortion.

None of that describes Bron Y Aur or Tangerine. It's too small minded to try and sum up someone like Page with a few cliche phrases, this isn't some bar band Angus Young wannabe we're talking about. I mean, "recycled (insert random blues player's name here) licks" describes Iommi as much as Clapton, SRV, Gilmour, Beck, or any number of rock players of great repute. No one, from Brian May to Steve Vai is immune to playing blues licks.
Name one Page song with guitar playing as good as Brighton Rock.

Everything sounds better with delay. Brian was very good at what he did, but then so was Page, something like the live version of

(dat hybrid picking is phenomenal) shows the guy flying throughout the song, without ever letting up and filling the job of quite a few overdubs in the studio. And despite the anti blues bias, you have to appreciate what the dude's fingers are doing in this take of
. Edited by moreblack

Don`t understand what Jeff Beck has got anything to do with this discussion Beck may be a better player but Page is much better composer and songwriter Pagey destroys Clapton even at his most fucked up phase as for Blackmore, yes he`s a better guitarist then Page but as a band Led Zeppelin was bettter then Deep Purple

Your the one who starting comparing other bands and musicians to Zep and Page mate not me...You are making Page out to be some guitar diety and I was just pointing out the other two guitar players from the Yardbirds were better technically then Jimmy...you're kidding about Page destroying Clapton right? I guess you never heard Clapton when he was at the top of his game live with Cream or Derek and the Dominoes? And I guess you have not heard too many Led Zeppelin live boots from the 1977 U.S. tour where Jimmy was a trainwreck a lot of the time or this video from the 1983 ARMS concert where Jimmy is struggling...

Listen I love Led Zep and Page, and I have more boots from them then any band except the Stones, but I can still be objective and admit he was not the greatest of all time technically and his playing really started going down hill after 1973 due to his habits.............

Edited by classicrawker

But then you're comparing him at his worst. Clapton sucked balls when he was wasted too. So did Hendrix.

I am just responding to Sons claim the Page blows Clapton away even at his worst which obviously is not true...........

Pagey destroys Clapton even at his most fucked up phase

Edited by classicrawker

Tangerine is a horrendous song. Awful, alt.tuning, folky elvin crap. It virtually epitomises why I loath Zep. And what with all these shit songs on Led Zep 4 (4 sticks, Misty Mountain Hop). That is apparently one of their better records. You are not telling me that they are good songs?

It's really close. I'd say Zeppelin edges out Sabbath based on talent alone, but Sabbath innovated a genre, while Zeppelin were known for- at best -being heavily influenced, and at worst, outright plagiarism.

Deep Purple isn't even in the same league as Sabbath and Zeppelin.

Edited by bacardimayne

Your the one who starting comparing other bands and musicians to Zep and Page mate not me...You are making Page out to be some guitar diety and I was just pointing out the other two guitar players from the Yardbirds were better technically then Jimmy...you're kidding about Page destroying Clapton right? I guess you never heard Clapton when he was at the top of his game live with Cream or Derek and the Dominoes? And I guess you have not heard too many Led Zeppelin live boots from the 1977 U.S. tour where Jimmy was a trainwreck a lot of the time or this video from the 1983 ARMS concert where Jimmy is struggling...

Listen I love Led Zep and Page, and I have more boots from them then any band except the Stones, but I can still be objective and admit he was not the greatest of all time technically and his playing really started going down hill after 1973 due to his habits.............

Lots of inacurracies here I never said that Pagey was some kind of guitar deity, technical wizard or call whatever you want Ritchie Blackmore will play rings around Jimmy any day and anytime I just pointed out that he slays Beck and Clapton as a songwriter producer and overall as a musician I`m not taking anything away from Clapton as a player he`s great but I don`t like his tone I`ll take Pagey over him without any hesitation my claim that Jimmy destroys Clapton even at his most fucked up phase may be bit exeggarated but it all comes down to personal preference and like I said I prefer Page yuo`re right I have n`t seen live either of them but I`ve heard enough bootlegs and studio material to base my opinion yes Pagey went downhill after 1973 due to his habits he was wacked on drugs but up untill 73 he was untouchable as a live guitarist

It's really close. I'd say Zeppelin edges out Sabbath based on talent alone, but Sabbath innovated a genre, while Zeppelin were known for- at best -being heavily influenced, and at worst, outright plagiarism.

Deep Purple isn't even in the same league as Sabbath and Zeppelin.

They innovated absolutely nothing they tuned down guitars and made heavier sound that`s it it was based solely on Blues notion that Zepp is known for plagiarism is such an old and cliched argument being influenced by someone and outright stealing ideas for songs are completely different things had MK II Deep Purpple made few more records in 70`s then they would be up there

Edited by Son of a Guns