Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What made you a GNR fan?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

gnfnrs1972

gnfnrs1972

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • 11-October 03
Was it Axl's voice or the music?
Ive always been an asshole but now I have enough money to be myself.

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • 12-April 05

Was it Axl's voice or the music?

Heard Sweet Child O' Mine on the radio in 1988 when I was 5 years old. I enjoyed the song. It was not a question of the "voice" or "the music." Either you enjoy a song or you don't. If I didn't like the song, I wouldn't have given any thought as to why.

liers

liers

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • 04-December 11
Heard SCOM on the radio many many years ago and ended up seeing some videos and realizing that this band is very interesting, to say the least.

Becket

Becket

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 4,491 posts
  • 05-September 07
Just before Appetite came out when I was 17 I read about them in a rock magazine about new bands coming out, I went out and got the album right away and loved it.

Posted Image

gunsguy

gunsguy

FRONTMAN

• Media and Brand Ambassador
  • 19,428 posts
  • 28-December 02

Just before Appetite came out when I was 17 I read about them in a rock magazine about new bands coming out, I went out and got the album right away and loved it.

Then he played it for me, I was BLOWN away and been a fan ever since. Thanks BECKET!!!

axlrare.jpg

Becket

Becket

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • 4,491 posts
  • 05-September 07

Then he played it for me, I was BLOWN away and been a fan ever since. Thanks BECKET!!!

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

OJones90

OJones90

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • 05-February 12
Well i always liked sweet child, jungle, paradise city, november rain, but i didnt start getting really into them until i saw live footage of them. I was always seeing these top artists on tv in music videos such as michael jackson, guns n roses, etc. And i started wondering what these unbelievably famous icons are actually like live, so i looked for videos. When i watched guns n roses i was just blown away. So, so much epic footage, i was hooked, and discovering an absolutely massive collection of songs at the same time. I liked everything about them. Slash was unreal. But axl was/is my fascination really. Just really interested in how he performs, his unique voice, attitude, etc.

And theres no other band where i have such a huge collection of songs, with so much variety, and i never get bored of them like some bands.

Edited by OJones90, 08 November 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

Georgy Zhukov

Georgy Zhukov

Marshal of the Soviet Union

• SILVER
  • 16,321 posts
  • 13-August 11
It was the band as a whole. Loved Axl's voice, Izzy and Slash's guitars, Slash's solos, Duff's bassline. I thought they wrote great lyrics and it took me a long time to accept the new band members. I never bothered listening to Chinese Democracy until a couple years ago and as much as I wanted it to suck I thought it was a great album. Overproduced, but they got away with it. I think it helps that I didn't wait as long as most fans. I was interested around 2006 when it seemed like it was going to be released.

Anyway, I love the band old and new.

gunsguy

gunsguy

FRONTMAN

• Media and Brand Ambassador
  • 19,428 posts
  • 28-December 02
The real answer to this question lies in Appetite For Destruction.

There is not a soul on this planet at least at the time, even now, that likes rock music and does not like Appetite, people that don't even dig the genre have THAT record in their collection.

Why? It was something created in the right place at the right time and just when the world needed it. Cannot be duplicated, No other record gets me off like that.

Just play the record and you'll know why :)

axlrare.jpg

WhazUp

WhazUp

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,727 posts
  • 29-February 08
What made me a GNR fan was listening to AFD and being blown away by how great it was. What first got me to get that album was hearing Paradise City on the radio and being obsessed with wanting to hear it over and over again.

Edited by WhazUp, 08 November 2012 - 11:06 PM.

Purely Magnetic

Purely Magnetic

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • 21-November 11
My older cousins were really into Guns in the late 80s, when Appetite came out. I was 8 at the time. To seem cool to them I bought Appetite on cassette with my birthday money, my parents didn't protest, which I still find weird, I mean I was 8! Anyway, fast forward to 1992 when I was watching MTV on a Saturday afternoon while parents were out and I caught the NR video in the middle. I sat there with my wide eyes glued to the screen wondering who the heck is this guy (Axl) and couldn't believe at the end of the video when they put the credits at the bottom corner that it was Guns N' Roses, I already had their tape from years before! Parents come home and asked immediately to go to the store to buy the song, came home with both UYI 1 and 2. I became immediately obsessed and began to wrangle lots of my girlfriends into being fans as well. Then got the Making of the Videos and the Tokyo concert on VHS. Imagine a bunch of tween girls swooning of Axl as we watched the videos, especially the 2 video concert in Tokyo. Then got the Making of the Videos and the Tokyo concert on VHS. I had those things memorized, move for move. Up went the posters on the wall, completely wallpapered. Making sure I went to the grocery store with my mom every week to check out the latest Hit Parader looking for every mention of their name! I have been a die hard supporter and fan of all formations of Guns N' Roses and original and new members but my loyalty lies most with Axl. There is just something about that voice that just does it for me, can't be explained. I feel blessed that I am truly moved by his voice and music, there are people out there who never feel this about an artist, that makes me sad.

Still to this day, people from high school remember me as the Guns N' Roses girl, all this when grunge was all the rage at the time. Last year at a small reunion with some old high school friends and acquaintances I ran into one of those grunge loving, flannel shirt, simple shoes wearing boys that laughed at me for me being an Axl fan girl. He came up to me out of no where and said he wanted to tell me that a few years after high school (graduated in 1998) he and his friends started getting into GNR, and they made the comment that you know that Trisha, my real name, really was wise beyond her years with all that GNR stuff and he just thought I should know. , He said at that time they didn't realize all the classic songs they had and just considered them another hair band, now they are one his favorite bands. Made my day! Vindication!

Groghan

Groghan

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 11,667 posts
  • 15-July 03
I was listening to Prince and Michael Jackson and Bon Jovi and David Lee Doth and Metallica and Motley Crue and Def Leppard.........was cruising around and the driver popped Appetite into the cassette player and my music world changed forever. Axl's voice was unlike anybody else.
Still my favorite rock singer of all time.

GnR Chris

GnR Chris

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • 05-December 10
I got into 'em late, unfortunately. It was the summer of 1992. I was 10 years old. Up until then I was just listening to whatever the shit my sister was listening to at the time, which was a local station called B96. They played R&B and dance type stuff. I wasn't a fan of that per se. I just wasn't too big on music in general.

Anyway, I spent the summer in Greece in 1992 and I would hang out down in this local square where some long-haired metalheads would chill across the way with their boomboxes. They were rocking the fuck out to Metallica, Gn'R and Def Leppard, at least those are the three I remember most. My sister made friends with the group that summer and when she came home, she immediately bought the black album, Appetite/Illusions and Hysteria. This also coincided with the summer we got cable. Guns was all over their airwaves with the "November Rain" video.

Funny. I recall seeing a girl from my class in a local candy store the fall previous to that summer. She was wearing a Metallica shirt. She was hard into all that metal and rock because of her older bro. I specifically remember telling her "Metallica SUCKS." But in reality 'twas I who sucked. I was ignorant to r&r, man.

So anyway, whenever my sister wasn't home my buddy and I would sneak into her room and crank her Gn'R records on her stereo. We used to pretend we were Axl and Slash, just air guitaring and singing our little asses off. Grunge and then alternative soon took hold. I was a GIANT Nirvana fan. Guns kinda went to the backburner in the later '90s after the real band broke up. But I never stopped listening to those old records.

I remember I made a compilation tape for my then-girlfriend in the late '90s and included several songs on that gem, including "November Rain" and "Patience."

I listen to Guns N' Roses every day. Literally every day. I watch videos on youtube, on DVD, or listen on iTunes. I play them in the jukebox out at the bars. My dog's name is Axl. Everybody knows I'm basically obsessed with this band, America's greatest rock act ever.

Those fuckin' metalheads in the village square in Greece. That's what set off the obsession. I thank them.

Edited by GnR Chris, 08 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

sweetness

sweetness

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,974 posts
  • 01-February 06
I was like 14 years old and I just started getting into harder rock music, which to me at the time was just AC/DC, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Black Sabath etc. Before then all I really listened to was what my parents were into which was Elton John, The Eagles, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Michael Jackson, etc. I heard Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, and Knockin on Heavens Door on the radio which prompted me to start downloading GNR songs to add to my little mp3 player. The guitar sound and Axl's one of a kind voice really caught my ear, but it still kinda took me a while to fully "get it". One of my best friends noticed I was getting into GNR so he burned me a copy of UYI 1, I fucking loved it. Then I decided I had to get the rest of their albums, from there I went to Appetite, and it absolutely blew me away. The rest is history, they've been my favorite band since.

I couldn't say if Axl's voice or the band stuck out to me more than the other, it was all about the whole product to me, it was the sound of raw perfection

Posted Image

Guest_Gunns_*

Guest_Gunns_*
  • Guests
  • --
my friend from high school let me borrow the Gn'R tokyo dvd and I then jumped onto shareaza/kazaa at the time and downloaded all the back catalogue. From there I downloaded the 2002 live concert footage and was instantly drawn to everything gnr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users