Axl's best vocal with the new lineups

thomasmcole

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

06 - incredible, very consistent.

10 - Very strong but he had his off nights. Still when he brought it he fucking brought it.

12 - Hit or Miss big time. I saw him at Dallas and he sounded incredible; but then I saw some vids a week later from another gig n he sounded like shit so yeah.

I think a lot of people exaggerate how 'bad' Axl's voice is in 2012. His voice was never bad enough to distract you from having a good time at the show, and therefor, I don't think he should slated for it. For repeated listening's on youtube, which the performances were never meant for, then maybe but, nothing beats being there and when you are, you understand the true power of his voice. Obviously Bridge School was the exception cause of the strep throat but Axl's always had power to his voice, and you can't capture that on a soundboard or a youtube clip.

I never left a show in 2012 thinking he wasn't as good as 2010, that's just analysed in depth on youtube videos. There are videos out there of 2010 that he was weak, south american tour I think, so it comes and goes if you think about it like that.

I think a lot of people exaggerate how 'bad' Axl's voice is in 2012. His voice was never bad enough to distract you from having a good time at the show, and therefor, I don't think he should slated for it. For repeated listening's on youtube, which the performances were never meant for, then maybe but, nothing beats being there and when you are, you understand the true power of his voice. Obviously Bridge School was the exception cause of the strep throat but Axl's always had power to his voice, and you can't capture that on a soundboard or a youtube clip.

I never left a show in 2012 thinking he wasn't as good as 2010, that's just analysed in depth on youtube videos. There are videos out there of 2010 that he was weak, south american tour I think, so it comes and goes if you think about it like that.

While I agree that it is much different when you're actually at a concert, I disagree that you can't capture power on a soundboard clip. If anything, the soundboard is the most accurate representation of any singer's voice because it is the dry sound without it being amplified through the house speakers at the show. Rock am Ring is a soundboard and you can hear the full power in Axl's voice. Axl's monitor mix from Tokyo 2009 is similar to that of a soundboard and again, you can hear the power in his voice even when he does go into "Mickey" mode. Conversely, soundboards like The Joint at the end of last year, with the exception of a few songs, you can tell that Axl's voice doesn't have the same power as it did in 2010 and he loses his breath more frequently.

Not trying to sound negative, that's just how I see/hear it.

Utterly and completely disagree. Saw the band in Hamilton last year and while the show was great, and Axl sounded great on maybe 4 songs, it failed in comparison to how he sounded in 2010 (when I attended 3 shows and he was bang on every time and throughout the entire show). It's hard not to have a good time while at the show when you consider the atmosphere, the concert effect of loud and encompassing sound, and the theatrical dynamics of attending a live concert. Hell, I remember being 12 years old and having a good time at a Marky Mark concert - doesn't mean shit in terms of actual performances. Having played in a band for over six years in front of some rather large audiences, I know from experience how fucking dumb most concert crowds are. 99% of mistakes bands make go completely over the heads of 99% of concert goers.

I don't buy the "you can't base your decisions on youtube" since almost all videos from 2010 sound fantastic (sure, he had a couple of off nights here and there) and yet most videos from Rio 2011 have been horrible. Go listen to mixes from the recent radio broadcast, there's not a single song that doesn't sound dreadful in nominal terms and it gets worse when compared to 2010.

The few videos from 2012/11 that people do post (particularly Philly) to prove Axl can still sing only sound decent when compared to the rest of the year. When you compare the Philly UCAP show to almost any show from 2010 it's night and day. Yeah, the rendition of "Your Crazy" from Philly wasn't terrible, but when you compare it to the L'Arc performance from 2010, it becomes very apparent how much Axl struggles with his voice in the Philly performance.

Sorry, but soundboard recordings are quite capable of capturing vocal power otherwise all live albums would suck. Moreover, why is Rock AM '06 considered one of the best GNR shows of the past decade? Because Axl really brought it that night and you can hear the ferocity in his voice. No such dynamic is at work in any of the soundboard recordings from the other night in Vegas. You're simply making excuses for Axl that don't hold up against empirical scrutiny.

Edited by downzy

While I agree that it is much different when you're actually at a concert, I disagree that you can't capture power on a soundboard clip. If anything, the soundboard is the most accurate representation of any singer's voice because it is the dry sound without it being amplified through the house speakers at the show. Rock am Ring is a soundboard and you can hear the full power in Axl's voice. Axl's monitor mix from Tokyo 2009 is similar to that of a soundboard and again, you can hear the power in his voice even when he does go into "Mickey" mode. Conversely, soundboards like The Joint at the end of last year, with the exception of a few songs, you can tell that Axl's voice doesn't have the same power as it did in 2010 and he loses his breath more frequently.

Not trying to sound negative, that's just how I see/hear it.

That is precisely why the soundboard is not the most accurate representation of how it sounded on the night. You lose the ambience, reverb and bottom end of the live show. It sounds sterile and unnatural, vocals float on top of the instruments... It is a bad way to judge how the show sounded when you were there.

Rock Am Ring usually has good sound and is a mixed broadcast, it isn't a soundboard per se. I know what point you are trying to make and I agree the voice hasn't been as strong this year as it was in 2011, I just object to those who use an unmixed soundboard as an absolute point of reference when in fact it is not an exact replica of how it sounded at the actual show.

Eyewitness accounts over video.

Edited by Demon Wolf

Thanks for all the vids, personally love his 2010 voice. This video amazes me, never thought axl would still be able to do the growl at the start of jungle:

That whole gig sounds amazing, definitely the best he's sounded in a long time.

OMG... In some places, his voice sounds just like the 1988 MTV Video Music Awards. In some places... I can't tell the difference almost at all. 'Honey we know the names'

What's a lot of fun is synching the first half of the song of. Old and New Axl Duet!!! Different age same fucking Bad Ass Attitude.

And who said because it was accoustic at bridge school he couldn't sing it right.. F'n Morons.

No Confidence, No Mojo, No Attitude. Powerless Voice.

Wow going back to this 2010 I wanna cry....

Edited by jimb0

there's a reason why Sydney 2010 is always bought up,

2:33-3:15 , this is Axl showing his hunger for performing , listen to THAT voice

and better

god how i miss 2010

Edited by Gunns

Dude, I feel fuckin' fortunate 'cause I saw him in 2010. Beautiful WTTJ performance in Sidney.

2:30-2:46 - Axl getting right into it,

I think if he gets that hunger back to perform again , almost like he's something to prove, then I think his voice will right itself.

there's a reason why Sydney 2010 is always bought up,

2:33-3:15 , this is Axl showing his hunger for performing , listen to THAT voice

and better

god how i miss 2010

I miss our little rock star :( Axl if you're in there... we miss you honey. Your attitude, your balls to the walls attitude and your magical voice.