Chris Cornell reflects on GNR and Axl when Soundgarden opened for them in 1991

gunsfanoldie

I'm sure its more complicated than this, but Chris seems like a nice guy and that he just means that he never understood the whole behind the scenes stuff about GNR. Thought it was an interesting paragraph:

http://www.vulture.c...-interview.html

In 1991, Soundgarden opened for Guns N’ Roses. What do you remember most about that tour?

Without saying anything negative about Axl, what I remember the most was Duff and Slash and everyone else being regular, sweet, warm guys in a rock band that just wanted to play rock music. And then, like, there was this Wizard of Oz character behind the curtain that seemed to complicate what was the most ideal situation they could ever have been in: They were the most successful and famous rock band on the planet. Every single show, hundreds of thousands of fans just wanted to hear songs. For some reason there seemed to be this obstacle in just going out and participating in that. That is what I remember the most. It’s sad.

I love Chris Cornell, but I don't think he knows enough about the inner workings of Guns or about Axl for that matter, to say that.

Yes, Guns were in an amazing position, but the band always had real issues to deal with, not caused just by Axl. Not even close.

Chris Cornell is clearly on Team $lash.

Otherwise known as reality.

Guy saw it himself. GNR was the biggest band in the world and Axl had to bring it all down with his actions and cost the other band members millions of dollars on that tour.

Ah yes, evil Axl, with his bloated tour production and music videos that only damaged the band. What were they thinking shooting that scene where Slash is playing outside the church?

Axl single handedly ruined Gn'R. That bastard. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rovim

I love Chris Cornell, but I don't think he knows enough about the inner workings of Guns or about Axl for that matter, to say that.

Yes, Guns were in an amazing position, but the band always had real issues to deal with, not caused just by Axl. Not even close.

yes, I'm sure you know more about the inner workings of GNR than a guy who toured with them while they were peaking

yes, I'm sure you know more about the inner workings of GNR than a guy who toured with them while they were peaking

I wasn't comparing what I know about Guns with what Cornell knows. Just because I don't know anything about what really went down with Guns doesn't mean he does.

Chill, no need to be so combative. I was just saying that I don't think he was ever close enough to Axl to know how he was like, and to have a good enough of a grasp to know what was happening.

He seems like the type of person that is very different compared to Axl, and doesn't get why it would be difficult to work shit out with the band and tour with no problems.

Edited by Rovim

I wasn't comparing what I know about Guns with what Cornell knows. Just because I don't know anything about what really went down with Guns doesn't mean he does.

Chill, no need to be so combative. I was just saying that I don't think he was ever close enough to Axl to know how he was like, and to have a good enough of a grasp to know what was happening.

He seems like the type of person that is very different compared to Axl, and doesn't get why it would be difficult to work shit out with the band and tour with no problems.

I can't speak for sweetness, but I think one reason people would react negatively to your post is because of past comments made when a band member/celebrity/interviewer says something about Axl.

It seems that the validity of the person sharing their opinion SOLELY depends on whether or not they praise Axl or say something negative.

I can't speak for sweetness, but I think one reason people would react negatively to your post is because of past comments made when a band member/celebrity/interviewer says something about Axl.

It seems that the validity of the person sharing their opinion SOLELY depends on whether or not they praise Axl or say something negative.

That's too bad. I think it's short sighted and very black and white, if that is, in fact, the reason.

All I can do is share my honest opinion here. I feel like people should make up their mind not based on past comments other people made, but by the content of the post they're reading.

If not, then it just reduces discussing the band we all love to a fucking pissing contest, and that's boring imo.

Edited by Rovim

Not trying to sound combative... but honestly, the man was on tour with them, how much closer does he have to get for his word to mean anything? It's not like Axl being unreasonable is some kind of crazy idea we've never heard before, to say Chris Cornell "doesn't know enough" when he's clearly interected with everyone one in the band for an extended period of time sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Not trying to sound combative... but honestly, the man was on tour with them, how much closer does he have to get for his word to mean anything? It's not like Axl being unreasonable is some kind of crazy idea we've never heard before, to say Chris Cornell "doesn't know enough" when he's clearly interected with everyone one in the band for an extended period of time sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Not really a stretch, when you take into consideration that we don't really know to what extent he interacted with Axl. How close do you think he got to Axl? compared to other people that toured with him?

People like Sebastian Bach for example, that shared a lot of pretty detailed stories about Axl at least compared to Chris who talked about a fucking giant projector Axl got excited about?

Just because they were on tour together, doesn't mean they've spent enough time together to even know each other a little.

But maybe I'm wrong...maybe Chris knew Axl really well. I just don't get that from everything he talked about.

Metallica and Faith No More were also on tour with Guns and most of the members in those bands didn't share much time together with Axl (except maybe Lars) I'm guessing.

Of course Axl can be VERY unreasonable. Not denying that. And I never said his word didn't mean anything. Just that maybe, what he does know is too limited for him to say what he did.

Edited by Rovim

I don't see why we would need to question Chris Cornell to that extent, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I have no reason to believe he would lie about this in an interview 20 some years later that focuses largely on his new album.

I don't think he lied. I just think he shared his opinion on a man he doesn't know. Axl is almost a stranger to Chris imo, and just because their bands toured together doesn't convince me that Chris understands Axl as a person or have any idea what happened with Guns back then.

Watch this clip 42 seconds in: He talks about how good Axl treated him, but it doesn't sounds like someone who was really close enough to Axl to know him.

Put it this way: when Moby talked about Axl, it seemed like he did spend at least enough time to understand some aspects about the man. Other people from the Chinese Democracy era too. Even if they had something negative to say, it was much more informed imo.

Edited by Rovim