Chris Cornell reflects on GNR and Axl when Soundgarden opened for them in 1991

gunsfanoldie

Chris Cornell is clearly on Team $lash.

Otherwise known as reality.

Guy saw it himself. GNR was the biggest band in the world and Axl had to bring it all down with his actions and cost the other band members millions of dollars on that tour.

I didnt know "reality" was so convenient and black and white, its usually understood as a rather complex, multi-layered thing.

Of course Axl would be the wizard of Oz to somebody who doesnt know him. Its interesting how people on this board often appeal for "compassion" when somebody mocks the drug addiction problems GN'R members have had in the past but psychological issues such as depression and the effects of child abuse when discussed are dismissed as "excuses".

Axl did not "bring it all down" for the band- he was the central focus of the controversy which from the very start was an important and marketable element of the band's mystique. While Axl lost the band money through his lateness, he probably made them many times that money with his charisma and the media attention that always surrounded him during this period.

Sadly the chaos and madness that people seem to enjoy so much in GN'R lyrics couldnt be conveniently packed away only within that domain, its authenticity came from the fact that it was a real representation of Axl's life.

Otherwise known as the evil liars

Guy saw it himself. GNR was the biggest band in the world and Axl had to bring it all down with his actions and cost the other band members millions of dollars on that tour.

Otherwise known as bismillah vision

Guy saw it himself. GNR was the biggest band in the world and

Axl had to bring it all down with his actions and cost the other band members millions of dollars on that tour.

Sure, because you were there.

But the way Chris Cornell paints things is exactly what has been said by all parties bar Axl for the last 20 years. I know Axl had his own issues back then. But the simple fact is everyone just wanted to play something that most bands can do without any trouble. Tantrums, storming off stage showing up super late to gigs sometimes not at all. As has been said Axl probably wasn't mentally fit to be touring back then.

But the way Chris Cornell paints things is exactly what has been said by all parties bar Axl for the last 20 years. I know Axl had his own issues back then. But the simple fact is everyone just wanted to play something that most bands can do without any trouble. Tantrums, storming off stage showing up super late to gigs sometimes not at all. As has been said Axl probably wasn't mentally fit to be touring back then.

Chris had some insight as a singer and being formerly married to the one managing the band, plus all the people that work with the band that the lateness affects. Axl felt bad when he started realizing that the crew was being affected by it, and it's only a small handful of shows where he pissed people off, one was Sturgis.

People made excuses for him because the late shows were usually the ones where he came out and delivered, but if his voice isn't in prime shape, it's really hard for him to justify it.

But the way Chris Cornell paints things is exactly what has been said by all parties bar Axl for the last 20 years. I know Axl had his own issues back then. But the simple fact is everyone juste wanted to play something that most bands can do without any trouble. Tantrums, storming off stage showing up super late to gigs sometimes not at all. As has been said Axl probably wasn't mentally fit to be touring back then.

Great post.

Nice to see a reasonable post without the normal Axl or Slash bias that so many have.

But the way Chris Cornell paints things is exactly what has been said by all parties bar Axl for the last 20 years. I know Axl had his own issues back then. But the simple fact is everyone juste wanted to play something that most bands can do without any trouble. Tantrums, storming off stage showing up super late to gigs sometimes not at all. As has been said Axl probably wasn't mentally fit to be touring back then.

Great post.

Nice to see a reasonable post without the normal Axl or Slash bias that so many have.

Is there no way for someone to ask Axl this without giving some vague response? Its just such a simple question: why weren't you just able to go out and play? And for Axl to give a fair response.

skip to 0:40. I never understood why axl said he shouldn't be touring, he said it's great to be back on stage again and they have been planning the tour for a long time.

He was promoting and putting a positive spin on things at a time they were still trying to finish the album. They were all excited for UYI to come out, but shows were being booked and it seems like it disrupted things in the band.

I'm sure Axl will eventually talk about "lessons learned" from past shows.

Slash was as close as anybody could have possibly been and you don't exactly take his word for it......

I don't either. It's hard to believe everything Slash says when he's been known to be less then honest sometimes, and when even a good friend of his like Marc, that knows him, said that he lies.

Edited by Rovim

skip to 0:40. I never understood why axl said he shouldn't be touring, he said it's great to be back on stage again and they have been planning the tour for a long time.

Thought Axl always said what he meant?

Apparently he's a liar. Either then or recently when he was trying to make excuses for himself or typically shift blame to others.

Thought Axl always said what he meant?

Apparently he's a liar. Either then or recently when he was trying to make excuses for himself or typically shift blame to others.

You're the frontman of the biggest band in the world on a mega tour. What are you gonna say? that you don't want to be there?

There's a difference between lying and not being dumb. He did it anyway and it was a really long tour with amazing shows. He did what he had to do for the most part.

Slash was as close as anybody could have possibly been and you don't exactly take his word for it......

I don't either. It's hard to believe everything Slash says when he's been known to be less then honest sometimes, and when even a good friend of his like Marc, that knows him, said that he lies.

agreed, I'd take anything he said with a grain of salt and considering his predisposition to be less than truthful in addition to the alcohol and drug consumption then makes him less than credible.