Catcher In The Rye & There Was A Time appreciation thread

Screamin' Demon

It's really good to see the guys perform these two songs regularly. Just about everybody on the board has been demanding for years that these two songs get played live more often, and what we have now is both songs being played on a regular basis. This is great news for us fans and we should feel very lucky, so let's show our appreciation to the band for this and hope that they will keep them in the set for good, they really shine like a bright star when they perform them! These two numbers represent some of the finest moments and most talented work on Chinese Democracy, songs you can call Gn'R classics.

Ps. Axl screaming "I would do anything for you!" throughout TWAT sends a chill down my spine!

Edited by Screamin' Demon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's awesome they are doing these two songs. They are like the heart and soul of CD. like the Civil War and Estrnaged they have to be in the set. these are the two classic GNR moments on CD.

Edited by wasted

If only there were better clips on youtube available for these two songs. There used to be so many live videos while they were on tour, but hardly any stuff shows up for these Las Vegas shows. Especially clips that are NOT Welcome To The Jungle and Girls Girls Girls. So since this appreciation thread got already started, it would be a good place to gather any of those rare live videos with hopefully good audio quality. Now THAT would be APPRECIATED ;)

Edited by A.J.

These two songs made us very happy, indeed. They are CD's finest moment. I couldnt have asked for a better setlist. I dont care if I'm not there, been listening to Catcher and TWAT (The remastered versions) a lot since the broadcast. So yes, the change on the setlist did affect much more fans than they thought it would affect. I swear, I've never thought that two songs would make most of us stop complaining at all about the setlist, lol!

It's really good to see the guys perform these two songs regularly. Just about everybody on the board has been demanding for years that these two songs get played live more often, and what we have now is both songs being played on a regular basis. This is great news for us fans and we should feel very lucky, so let's show our appreciation to the band for this and hope that they will keep them in the set for good, they really shine like a bright star when they perform them! These two numbers represent some of the finest moments and most talented work on Chinese Democracy, songs you can call Gn'R classics.

Ps. Axl screaming "I would do anything for you!" throughout TWAT sends a chill down my spine!

I agree! I'm glad Axl is singing more CD songs. I do like this album very much and I also gets chills when Axl sings that line!

Catcher in the Rye is a very cool song too. I'm glad Axl is feeling confident to sing more songs from CD. I think more fans will learn to appreciate these songs. I know when my son heard the new songs last year, he liked them better than when he first heard them.

I also hope that this might mean Axl will want to do more new music in the near future since fans are now responding positively to CD. He may be ready for new songs now.

You guys getting this in Vegas are so damn lucky.

I saw guns in Birmingham in May and was hoping all night to have There Was A Time played but alas, no luck!

I had a great night but that would have made my fuckin year.

TWAT is the masterpiece of Chinese imo

On a side note, I don't quite understand all the love Prostitute gets. While I do think it is a good song, and Axl is being really honest and open on it, it isn't very "gnr." Honestly the beginning of it sounds a lot like a Michael Jackson song, and the whole thing sounds like something MJ would have done. Other than name it prostitute. Am I the only one that feels it isn't very rock and roll? If it were on an Axl solo album I would be more understanding, but not on a guns record. And on that album we already have street of dreams, catcher, maddy, and this i love. I just feel Prostittute is one ballad to many. Again I do really like the song a lot, I think it's an amazing song, just not very guns n' roses sounding. Anyone else share these feelings?

On a side note, I don't quite understand all the love Prostitute gets. While I do think it is a good song, and Axl is being really honest and open on it, it isn't very "gnr." Honestly the beginning of it sounds a lot like a Michael Jackson song, and the whole thing sounds like something MJ would have done. Other than name it prostitute. Am I the only one that feels it isn't very rock and roll? If it were on an Axl solo album I would be more understanding, but not on a guns record. And on that album we already have street of dreams, catcher, maddy, and this i love. I just feel Prostittute is one ballad to many. Again I do really like the song a lot, I think it's an amazing song, just not very guns n' roses sounding. Anyone else share these feelings?

I think of Yesterdays, Don't Cry, So Fine, and NR sound like GNR, then Prostitute is no different.