Do you think the Chinese Democracy Tour will finally end in India or will it continue on?

Randy Lahey

To be realistic, I think Axl would NEVER tour if he didn't need the money or he wasn't in some ways obliged to.

With a net worth of $ 150 mill I doubt he needs the money. You know what, I actually think he perceives playing his music an important part of his art. He might not always enjoy it, but I think it is important for him to do it. I think he feels he is obliged by the art, and nothing else, to see it realized at stage in front of a live audience.

To be realistic, I think Axl would NEVER tour if he didn't need the money or he wasn't in some ways obliged to.

With a net worth of $ 150 mill I doubt he needs the money.

Someone brought up the matter in Canter Banter, and Marc said those lists are bullshit.

Marc is not a financial analyst

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone brought up the matter in Canter Banter, and Marc said those lists are bullshit.

Heh, what would a restaurant owner know about the accuracy of celebrity net worth lists?

So you know better then a guy that has known and been friends with the band since the early 80's?

Heh, what would a restaurant owner know about the accuracy of celebrity net worth lists?

Yet we take his opinions about Slash as fact.

I'm not a financial analyst or advisor, but I could tell you what the net worth was of all my friends.....and even casual friends.....and be probably 90% accurate.

So you know better then a guy that has known and been friends with the band since the early 80's?

You misunderstand, I was reacting to the claim that Marc is an expert on celebrity net worth lists since "izzydoesit" said Marc had said "those lists are bullshit". I agree that he might be in a position to know something about Axl's net worth, but not celebrity net worths in general.

Still, even if it turns out Axl has less than 150 million and that the lists are inaccurate, I doubt the lists are so wrong that he needs to tour to get money. They can't be that wrong and still be credible enough to be referenced in various magazines.

Why the round one comment?

And everybody makes great points about Axl. But what about the rest of the band? Are Ashba and BBf happy just being a touring nostalgic act, or do they have creative music juices?

I've wondered that as well. Are they happy being in a nostalgia act and playing songs they didn't write? Both Ashba and Bumblefoot seem to be the kind that like to record and release music, but it's been 4 years since DJ Ashba joined the band, and we've haven't got even an update on any potential new music.

Why the round one comment?

And everybody makes great points about Axl. But what about the rest of the band? Are Ashba and BBf happy just being a touring nostalgic act, or do they have creative music juices?

I've wondered that as well. Are they happy being in a nostalgia act and playing songs they didn't write? Both Ashba and Bumblefoot seem to be the kind that like to record and release music, but it's been 4 years since DJ Ashba joined the band, and we've haven't got even an update on any potential new music.

Yes, let's have a look at the band. Except from Dj, everybody made an input on CD. So the band (except Dj) IS playing songs they have helped create. Sure, some of them haven't contributed much and could be bored by now, but they are not bored because they can't create anymore since they have ample opportunities to do that outside of GN'R (and all of them do by playing in other bands and/or releasing solo material).

And Dj HAS given us lots of updates on him writing and creating new GN'R music, he even gets to play two of his own instrumental pieces at the shows.

The bottom of it all is that yes, they might be bored with not being able to write more for the band, although they all do, but obviously not enough for them to leave the band.

You misunderstand, I was reacting to the claim that Marc is an expert on celebrity net worth lists since "izzydoesit" said Marc had said "those lists are bullshit". I agree that he might be in a position to know something about Axl's net worth, but not celebrity net worths in general.

Still, even if it turns out Axl has less than 150 million and that the lists are inaccurate, I doubt the lists are so wrong that he needs to tour to get money. They can't be that wrong and still be credible enough to be referenced in various magazines.

Oh I agree with you.

I don't think he needs the money.....and the financial estimate is probably close. Maybe 150 is what he has made. Even if be blew through half that, your still looking at 75 million!!!

I think they can at least tour once more just about pulling it off. Then tour with a few new songs. So that's two tours without putting out a record. We give a shit right now. But casual fans will be ready in 5-10 years?

But they could use this as a launch pad. But there's no moons to colonize.

They don't seem to have much to gain financially from releasing a record. As long as they can put a tour without one...that doesnt measn they don't want to. but how does the industry view?

There will come a time where the tour is not viable without a new record. That day is near, but not here yet. There are still a few markets they could hit again.

They owe the label a record and I'm sure they'll deliver it at some point.

As for your first point, that may be true. Considering 90% of ticket buyers are there only to hear the hits, adding new music to the menu might actually detract from people going. This was my perspective to seeing Aerosmith. Since they're touring behind a new album, I'm holding off from seeing them 'cause I'd rather go and hear the hits than new stuff.

If you look at other nostalgic acts (and yes, that's the label I'm applying to GNR), they tour on a frequent basis without new material all the time. Bands like Def Leppard, Motley Crue, the Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, Poison, No Doubt, and others continually tour without an album. Granted, some (particulary Def Leppard, Motley Crue, and Poison) will tour together as a packaged deal, but I know people that will see a band on a bi-yearly schedule regardless of new music. So long as a band puts out a great product people will come back and that's something that GNR does very well (though earlier start times would certainly help in that department).

But from my own perspective, I'm going to need something new from GNR if they are to return to my area again. Having seen 14 different iterations of what is essentially the same show, I'm no longer willing to shell out $200 for my girlfriend and I. So from a personal perspective, I agree with you. But i'm not sure i'm indicative of most people who attend a GNR show.

As for your second point, again, that's a big maybe. Axl may be required to turn over new material, but the label might be contractually required to responsibilities it may no longer be willing to commit to (advertising budgets, artist creative control, marketing strategies, tour and/or video support). The label could renege on any one of these issues and Axl would be within his legal right to withhold new material. Considering it's unlikely that any retailer would agree to exclusively carry another GNR album considering how badly Best Buy was burned the last time out, the financial windfall from another GNR album may no longer be worth the contractual obligations for label. It may all come to standstill where either both parties decide to walk away or one invokes their opt-out or buyout clause (assuming it exists). There are many reasons why simply owing the label another record doesn't mean it's in the offing. I was more inclined to support this opinion prior to Chinese Democracy, but considering the much lower financial stakes of a subsequent GNR release, it seems unlikely that the label is waiting with baited breath to work with Axl again.

Edited by downzy

I would imagine someone attending the shows in India would put something on Youtube. Also figure Jarmo will be there for updates so I think we should be covered. I'm anxiously excited to hear what happens with these shows in India. It's a volatile place with a volatile band. Have fun for anyone going to these shows.

Marc owns a restaurant that hosts a lot of celebrities and he obviously keeps in touch with them more than most of us here do. And anyway, good way to get away from the matter with semantics. We are talking about Axl's net worth. And commenting on someone that brought up Axl's net worth, it was said that "those lists are bullshit".

One more Vegas night after this. :)

I thought the 24th was the lastnight. It's the 24th today..

Yes, but right now it's 6am on the 24th in Las Vegas.

When you made the OP, it was still the 23rd and that show hadn't started yet.

Edited by Spirit

One more Vegas night after this. :)

I thought the 24th was the lastnight. It's the 24th today..

Yes, but right now it's 6am on the 24th in Las Vegas.

When you made the OP, it was still the 23rd and that show hadn't started yet.

When I made the post, it was 24th here where i am :D

Hoping for something new to come out tonight in Vegas...

Catcher, TWAT, and UTLH aren't really all that suprising, riad, prostitute, or OMG would be much better.

Didn't Fernando hint at them playing new music in India?

Why play new music in Vegas when you can save it for India :D