• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is NOT a GN'R/Nirvana beef thread.  It's more a thread just appreciating how much of a fan of Nirvana that Axl is.  He was a big fan of the band as the band was coming up.  Yes, they did have a feud .  All that aside though, you can see after all these years, Axl is still just a Nirvana fan.  I think that is so cool.  I feel Axl wearing the Nirvana shirt was a really cool message.  Almost like he was saying "I wish you were here".

Nirvana-Cap-Axl-Rose.jpg

axlrosenirvana2.jpg

I think Axl is really deep.  Big fan of Axl's wild AFD/UYI years.  Big fan of NITL-era Axl.  I also really respect how he walked out on stardom.  He was a humongous celebrity and became a recluse.  That is so rock n' roll.

I feel bad making another thread about Axl (the other members of this band are amazing as well), but this was just something I had been thinking about lately

32 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Always remained a mystery how Axl reacted to Kurts death. They had a feud but he was a fan..really interesting situation. Slash did, but Axl never talked about it.

Likely Axl reacted with a sense of "I tried to warn you" it was Axl that felt Courtney, and drugs were bringing him down, I don't think Axl liked that they had a kid and continued to live the way they did. 

Kurt just never liked Axl, and I think Axl had a hard time understanding what the problem was and got a bit defensive when they met. 

But who knows, I doubt Axl felt remorse for the guy. For all the sh*t he talked about Axl it was Kurt that left a child without a father bc he didn't feel like himself...so I guess if I'm Axl if you got nothin good to say then don't say anything at all. 

If there is only one thing for which Axl has been unfairly slammed, it's that "GnR vs Nirvana" thing. Axl genuinely liked and was interested in Nirvana and Kurt. He never saw them as a rival band (although he didn't realize for a while that they represented a change on mentality and the perception of what rock was at that time). He was trying to get them to tour with GnR although Kurt had already talked trash, calling GnR "a shitty band with shitty musicians" etc.

A quote from the book "Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge" I posted on the Women's thread a while agoaxlkurt3.jpg

axlkurt4.jpg

And a quote from Axl in 1992:

MUSICIAN: Guns N' Roses are going on tour with Metallica this summer. I heard you've been trying to get Nirvana to join you and Kurt Cobain is saying no.
AXL: It's back and forth. I just think that they're having a lot of problems with who they are and who they want to be and trying to hold onto it at the same time. At least Kurt is. I'd like to be as supportive as I can, but I don't know how much he will allow support. To write a song like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" making fun of your songwriting and then have it used as an anthem has got to be a complete mindfuck. The man definitely has a mountain to rise above. I think there is a part of him that has the strength and desire to do it. I just don't know if he's able to get in touch with it. I had an advance copy of that record and it became my favorite. I would put it on repeatedly. Nirvana has helped me do my job. I think that the world has gotten really bored, really fed up and really pent up with frustration, and that comes through in Nirvana. I think a lot of people were aware of that feeling and he happened to find the song that touched it and was able to let that feeling out in people. And I'd like to do anything I can to support it. That's why we want them to play with us.

Of course after a load of insults from the other side (I think because Kurt had his own dichotomy and identity issues), Axl ranted on stage and ritually burned his Nirvana cap (and then there was the VMA incident), but he never said anything negative about their music. In fact, in 1994-95, according to Slash, Axl wanted to do a solo project with David Grohl and then he wanted to replicate the drumming of Smells Like Teen Spirit on CD the song.

There was a mutual negative obsession between Axl and Courtney Love though, originating in Courtney's days in the LA strip clubs, which played a big role in the feud.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Always remained a mystery how Axl reacted to Kurts death. They had a feud but he was a fan..really interesting situation. Slash did, but Axl never talked about it.

From the above mentioned book:

axlkurt1.jpg

axlkurt2.jpg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1