Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Without Terminator 2, Do You Think YCBM Would Still be a Hit?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

ChristmasFnatic

ChristmasFnatic

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • 31-August 12
Or would flop?

Will they even release it as a single if not for T2?

bacardimayne and I are the first official gay couple in MyGNRforum!!!

GNRSkidRow1

GNRSkidRow1

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,734 posts
  • 12-January 05
One of their best songs of all time, in my opinion.

sig-2.png
5-12-06/5-17-06/11-10-06/11-17-11/11-26-11/2-12-12/2-15-12/2-27-12/6-6-13/6-8-13/5-13-14

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• Supporters
  • 14,043 posts
  • 28-January 11
Yes, but T2 and Arnold helped a lot.

qlq4.jpg

Goddamn it! Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,604 posts
  • 31-March 04
I taped it off the radio before it came out and bought the tape when it came out before I saw the movie or video.

We'll come back one day, we never really went away...

Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged, Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Soul Monster, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song, Zodiac.

GN'R Lies

GN'R Lies

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 07-May 10
pi2loc summed it up

volcano62

volcano62

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 11,728 posts
  • 16-February 09

Yes, but T2 and Arnold helped a lot.

izzygirl

izzygirl

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,785 posts
  • 28-February 10
No. I love that song but no.

21km35y.jpg

No son ojos porque los ves. Son ojos porque te miran.

wfse

wfse

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • 19-October 12
It's quite a boring song.

Facekicker

Facekicker

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • 12,487 posts
  • 02-March 06
A hit song is a hit song. GNR were everywhere back then, it would have been a success anyway.

Sigfinal.jpg

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 10,938 posts
  • 12-December 08
It was a new GNR song right before a highly anticipated album. I think GNR had just announced the tour when it came out, but feel free to fact check me.

It was the highly anticipated film of the summer.

That was also a time when movie studios were just beginning to use music videos to promote the film. I do think there should've been a re-edit for YCBM so it could've been on "Welcome to the Videos" with just the live footage.

You already had KOHD & "Civil War" out, people were familiar with "Don't Cry" "Back off Bitch" and "November Rain", so this was like the 6th song off of UYI people got to hear, but to tie that into T2 at that time was perfect.

It comes down to not having to pay for ad time and running the shit out of it on MTV even though they were running ads all over the place for it (like they had to!) Pretty brilliant and a big moneysaver for a movie that cost big money. Credit has to go to Arnold on putting that together, even though Prince and Madonna had done both (Batman, Purple Rain, and Dick Tracy specifically), but you can't call those "blockbusters" on the level of T2.

It was also the first video GNR did since "Patience", and also played a part in the era of soundtracks going platinum and bands making videos for the film. Prince went overboard in bad films, and a "Madonna movie" speaks for itself.

So as far as importance in music video as a promotional tool for a film - VERY IMPORTANT.

The question on whether YCBM was a hit without T2- yes, people were looking to hear anything new by GNR.

But was there an expectation of it going to #1 as a single - and it didn't? That would be a good question for them even now, did that make them nervous about UYI, or didn't give a shit about singles?

Axl could've just as easily said to the Governator "fuck you, fuck your movie" (even though it was Cameron's film).

fabrph5

fabrph5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • 03-June 05
The moview had very little to do with it. GNR were huge at the time, and that was a great song. If movies make the song, why did OMG fail?

wasteofammo

wasteofammo

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • 03-January 05
Affirmative.
Posted Image

Young_Gun

Young_Gun

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • 03-March 08
When Guns were the biggest band in the world :( Being tied to a blockbuster movie helped for sure. Back before I was really into Guns I only knew them BECAUSE of Terminator II.

Graeme

Graeme

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,757 posts
  • 22-August 05

Affirmative.

I thought that was Aliens.

6tpc.gif

GUNNER PT

GUNNER PT

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • 16-July 10
Topic change:

Without YCBM, Do You Think Terminator 2 Would Still be a Hit?

Edited by GUNNER PT, 23 November 2012 - 11:53 AM.

:slash: 451542.gif :axl:

@ xx_xxxxxxxx - terça ago 07, 2012 5:18 pm o gunner gosta de picar a ver quanto tempo as pessoas demoram a manda-lo á merda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users