Without Terminator 2, Do You Think YCBM Would Still be a Hit?

ChristmasFnatic

It would have been a huge hit regardless. YCBM helped T2, one could make the argument. AFD made GNR the hottest band and people were salivating over the new prospect of a new album, to the point in which they released Lies to tide them over.

Those who are questioning whether YCBM would have been a hit without T2 need to remember the queues and frenzy when UYI was released. GN'R were the biggest band in the land and the prospect of new music had the public very excited. That was the environment at that time.

One thing that always bothered me about Terminator 2 was that the YCBM video had significant pieces of footage which were not in the theatrical release of the movie (like when Arnold comes out of the metal press, among others).

Edited by brainsaber

YCBM was the perfect choice back in the day - one of the most anticipated songs from the biggest band at that time combined with the most anticipated movie - simply a perfect match. I think the music video with arnold is great to bad it didn't make it onto welcome to the videos :(

This song will always be connected with T2 - that's why it's a legendary song but I wouldn't really say that it is a hit song...

Edited by Kula2006

One thing that always bothered me about Terminator 2 was that the YCBM video had significant pieces of footage which were not in the theatrical release of the movie (like when Arnold comes out of the metal press, among others).

It wasn't part of the movie. It was actually from the movie Trailer.

The real question should be if UCBM was released on appetite, how would that have changed things?

Would it have been a hit....what single would it have been......what would have replaced it as an early rock single from Illusions?

IMO YCBM and Shadow should have been on AFD (minus Anything goes)

UYI should have been 1 sick album with all the best songs.

wow, i can agree with you on this one :shock:

It wasn't part of the movie. It was actually from the movie Trailer.

Yeah well the point still stands. I hate when trailers contain footage that isn't included in the movie.

The real question should be if UCBM was released on appetite, how would that have changed things?

Would it have been a hit....what single would it have been......what would have replaced it as an early rock single from Illusions?

IMO YCBM and Shadow should have been on AFD (minus Anything goes)

UYI should have been 1 sick album with all the best songs.

wow, i can agree with you on this one :shock:

Must be a full moon

It would have been a popular song without t2, but t2 put it into legendary status. That song is the only song that matters in the terminator franchise, with the exception of maybe bad to the bone. But ycbm was new while bad to the bone was not. So in conclusion ycbm is to terminator what ghostbusters is to ghostbusrers or what power of love is to back to the future. You hear those songs and instantly think of the movie.

• 4 weeks later...

I think so. The intro is too awesome. Makes up for what might be comparitively weak verses and chorus.

And the intro snippets were used so perfectly in the movie. The syncing up of bits of the song with the action on the screen, etc.

Apparently James Cameron had initially planned on using "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones". Very lame in comparison.

The song and that movie, and particularly those scenes early on with John Connor and that bad4good kid (remember that?) riding around on that dirtbike, jacking atm's with that neato computer gizmo, going to the arcade, the bits of YCBM (my first exposure to the song - OMFG what is that song!?), were almost too much for my pre-teen brain to handle. Coolness overload.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a new GNR song right before a highly anticipated album. I think GNR had just announced the tour when it came out, but feel free to fact check me.

It was the highly anticipated film of the summer.

That was also a time when movie studios were just beginning to use music videos to promote the film. I do think there should've been a re-edit for YCBM so it could've been on "Welcome to the Videos" with just the live footage.

You already had KOHD & "Civil War" out, people were familiar with "Don't Cry" "Back off Bitch" and "November Rain", so this was like the 6th song off of UYI people got to hear, but to tie that into T2 at that time was perfect.

It comes down to not having to pay for ad time and running the shit out of it on MTV even though they were running ads all over the place for it (like they had to!) Pretty brilliant and a big moneysaver for a movie that cost big money. Credit has to go to Arnold on putting that together, even though Prince and Madonna had done both (Batman, Purple Rain, and Dick Tracy specifically), but you can't call those "blockbusters" on the level of T2.

It was also the first video GNR did since "Patience", and also played a part in the era of soundtracks going platinum and bands making videos for the film. Prince went overboard in bad films, and a "Madonna movie" speaks for itself.

So as far as importance in music video as a promotional tool for a film - VERY IMPORTANT.

The question on whether YCBM was a hit without T2- yes, people were looking to hear anything new by GNR.

But was there an expectation of it going to #1 as a single - and it didn't? That would be a good question for them even now, did that make them nervous about UYI, or didn't give a shit about singles?

Axl could've just as easily said to the Governator "fuck you, fuck your movie" (even though it was Cameron's film).

Uh, the first Batman film was bigger than T2. Sold around 14 million more tickets in North America, which is a huge difference (nearly 30% higher).