Your concerts in 2013

Powerage5

And I just found out Halestorm is playing a fairly small gig in Amsterdam in April. Will definitely get tickets for that! ^_^

2013-12-10 - Van Morisson, Daniel Lohues @ Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam

2013-11-24 - Maria Mena @ Paradiso, Amsterdam

2013-11-18 - Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit @ Bitterzoet, Amsterdam

2013-10-06 - Joe Bonamassa @ Martiniplaza, Groningen Virtuoso guitar playing from a modest and extremely tallented guy. The blues is alive! Can't believe now that I found him to be a boring arrogant douche when I saw him in 2005

2013-09-18 - Leonard Cohen @ Ahoy, Rotterdam Untouchable, touching, beautiful... Bar none. Leonard Cohen is a 3,5 to 4 hour concert experience you can't compare anything to.

2013-08-25 - Maison Du Malheur @ Noorderzon Festival Very interesting style. Good festival band!

2013-08-24 - La Chiva Gantiva @ Noorderzon Festival Very fun entertaining band! Hadn't heard of them before. Definitely a party. Not mindblowing or anything, but a fun festival band

2013-07-01 - The Black Crowes @ Paradiso, Amsterdam Great concert! Very special atmosphere they created in Paradiso. In Chris' words "Paradiso is something magical!"

2013-06-22 - Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band @ Goffertpark, Nijmegen Quite simply the best performer you can see today. The man is an animal and the E Street Band probably the best band in rock and roll today.

2013-04-12 - Boudewijn de Groot @ Oosterpoort, Groningen The Dutch Bob Dylan. I love this guy. Eventhough he most his songs were written by a late friend of his.

2013-03-22 - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club @ Paradiso, Amsterdam Very refreshing kickass hard rock. I didn't really like their newer slow grinding songs, but when they rock they fucking rock.

2013-02-08 - Doe Maar @ Martiniplaza, Groningen Legendary Dutch reggae/ska band that I'm very relieved I can finally add to my list!

Edited by username

3 gigs the past couple of weeks. Saw Arcade Fire last Monday, great show, 9 songs from the new album which I really like. My mate went the next night, they got Supersymmetry on top of those 9 songs (we had Crown of Love instead). Alice in Chains the Saturday before that, great show, much more energy than I was expecting, only downsides was someone threw a beer at me and a crowdsurfer kicked me in the nose :/ Also, how come they always seem to just play Hollow and Stone from the new album? I was surprised a headlining gig had the same setlist as a festival show. Let's never bitch about Axl's setlists again ;) Then I saw Hossein Alizadeh, an Iranian Tar player, last Friday. Not my usual kind of gig, mostly just a couple of long improvisations, but neat nonetheless. Felt bad when he paused briefly and someone started clapping, then everyone started clapping and it was obvious he just ended it there out of embarrassment :P

Somebody in office was asking about gigs I'd been to this year, did a quick list:

1. Bruce Springsteen – Wembley and Hard Rock Calling

2. Iron Maiden – The O2 and Rock in Rio

3. Leonard Cohen – Manchester Arena

4. Avenged Sevenfold – Rock in Rio

5. Kanye West – Apollo

6. Bruce Springsteen – Rock in Rio

7. Metallica – Abu Dhabi

8. Alice in Chains – Ally Pally

9. Arcade Fire – The Roundhouse

10. Guns N’ Roses – Abu Dhabi (least favourite of 12 times I’ve seen Axl, his vocals were weak, but still a good show)

11. Ludivico Einaudi – Barbican

12. Rolling Stones – Hyde Park (disappointing gig)

13. Kavinsky – Some warehouse (highlight was hearing intro to You Could Be Mine)

EDIT: Forgot to mention opening bands (apart from A7X). Memorable ones were Zac Brown Band and The Black Crowes (Springsteen Hard Rock Calling show), Gary Clark Jr. (Stones show, more entertaining than the Stones themselves), Walking Papers and Ghost for AiC (was good to see Duff, and Ghost are a hoot live, had no idea who they were before I saw them). Slayer was the opener before A7X and Maiden at Rock in Rio, they were shit. John Mayer was better than I expected (Springsteen Rio), as was Philip Philips who I'd also never heard of (did a cool cover of Thriller). Got to see Paul Di'Anno play with a Brazilian band before Maiden at Rio, bizarrely.

Ticked off a lot of bands I'd been meaning to see for a while, especially Springsteen. Only gig I'm gutted I missed out on is NIN at Scala.

Edited by Amir

Somebody in office was asking about gigs I'd been to this year, did a quick list:

5. Kanye West – Apollo

7. Metallica – Abu Dhabi

8. Alice in Chains – Ally Pally

9. Arcade Fire – The Roundhouse

10. Guns N’ Roses – Abu Dhabi (least favourite of 12 times I’ve seen Axl, his vocals were weak, but still a good show)

11. Ludivico Einaudi – Barbican

12. Rolling Stones – Hyde Park (disappointing gig)

13. Kavinsky – Some warehouse (highlight was hearing intro to You Could Be Mine)

EDIT: Forgot to mention opening bands (apart from A7X). Memorable ones were Zac Brown Band and The Black Crowes (Springsteen Hard Rock Calling show), Gary Clark Jr. (Stones show, more entertaining than the Stones themselves), Walking Papers and Ghost for AiC (was good to see Duff, and Ghost are a hoot live, had no idea who they were before I saw them). Slayer was the opener before A7X and Maiden at Rock in Rio, they were shit. John Mayer was better than I expected (Springsteen Rio), as was Philip Philips who I'd also never heard of (did a cool cover of Thriller). Got to see Paul Di'Anno play with a Brazilian band before Maiden at Rio, bizarrely.

Ticked off a lot of bands I'd been meaning to see for a while, especially Springsteen. Only gig I'm gutted I missed out on is NIN at Scala.

Man, I still can't believe you didn't enjoy the Stones, Amir! They blew me away!

Anyways, here is my list

-Of Monsters and Men (My Head is an Animal Tour)- Meadow Brook Music Festival- Rochester, Michigan

-The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor and Taylor Swift (50 & Counting Tour)- United Center, Chicago

-Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Rise Against, Silversun Pickups, Dropkick Murphys, Tomahawk, Battlecross, Dead Sara, Foals, The Orwells, The Bronx (Orion Music + More Festival)- Belle Isle, Detroit

-Metallica, Deftones, Cauldron, The Dirtbombs, All Shall Parish (Orion Music + More Festival)- Belle Isle, Detroit

-Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators (Common Ground Music Festival)- Lansing, Michigan

-Robert Plant and the Sensational Shape Shifters/ The Lone Bellow (Taste of Chicago)- Grant Park, Chicago

-Black Sabbath ("13" Tour)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkston

-Alice in Chains/ Jane's Addiction/ Coheed and Cambria/ Circa Survive/ Walking Papers/ Dead Daisies/ Danko Jones/ Middle Class Rut/ Mindset Evolution/ Chuck Shaffer Picture Show/ Charming Liars (Rockstar Energy Uproar Festival)- DTE Energy Music Arena, Clarkston

Overall, I saw less shows than I usually do. Partially because I spent so much money to see the Stones but it was all worth it!

I also met Micky Dolenz of the Monkees earlier in the year at a comic con and I am seeing Elton John the day after Thanksgiving in Detroit. Pretty psyched for that one!

Man, I still can't believe you didn't enjoy the Stones, Amir! They blew me away!

It was just a poor show, you can see on the DVD. Glastonbury seemed much more exciting, and I've seen a few cool YouTube vids of the November gig from last year at The O2 which sold out before I could get tickets (like the performance of Gimme Shelter with Florence Welch, regret not going to see her last December). Let me know how Elton John's show is, I've been meaning to see him for a while.

Forgot about Mayer Hawthorne, updated list:

5. Kanye West – Apollo

7. Metallica – Abu Dhabi

8. Mayer Hawthorne - Heaven

9. Alice in Chains – Ally Pally

10. Arcade Fire – The Roundhouse

11. Guns N’ Roses – Abu Dhabi

12. Ludivico Einaudi – Barbican

13. Rolling Stones – Hyde Park

14. Kavinsky – Some warehouse

Hawthorne had the added benefit of having this lovely young lady as his opener:

906142_594567647269010_1418315324_o.jpg

Wawaweewa. You can't tell from the photo but she's a stunning redhead.

Metallica were great, 2nd time seeing them, same venue as GNR and there were prob twice as many people; loads of people had come to Abu Dhabi from Iran (they're almost Bigger Than Mohammed there), Saudi Arabia, even as far as Egypt, just to see Metallica! Decided to pass on them and AiC at Rock in Rio as I'd already spent £200 on Springsteen and Maiden Rio tickets, was gutted when I found out they played Wherever I May Roam! That was the song that got me into Metallica when a friend played me the music video probably 11 years ago or so one summer in Isfahan, and it's still one of my favourites, but they didn't play it at the 2 shows I went to. Have the same problem with The River despite seeing Springsteen 3 times now, and TWAT (12 shows, Axl, c'mon!). The same friend in Iran who got me into Metallica also played me videos of Maiden (loved Fear of the Dark from the first time I saw the live video), Skid Row (18 and Life) and GNR (I remember him trying to convince me Slash was the greatest guitar player ever; I didn't disagree but I couldn't stand the singer :P ). If I was to describe the Metallica gig in 2 words it'd be "extremely professional", which isn't a bad thing, it's just obvious they know what they do, etc. They came on 20 mins later than Axl did, tho ;)

Metallica were great, 2nd time seeing them, same venue as GNR and there were prob twice as many people; loads of people had come to Abu Dhabi from Iran (they're almost Bigger Than Mohammed there), Saudi Arabia, even as far as Egypt, just to see Metallica! Decided to pass on them and AiC at Rock in Rio as I'd already spent £200 on Springsteen and Maiden Rio tickets, was gutted when I found out they played Wherever I May Roam! That was the song that got me into Metallica when a friend played me the music video probably 11 years ago or so one summer in Isfahan, and it's still one of my favourites, but they didn't play it at the 2 shows I went to. Have the same problem with The River despite seeing Springsteen 3 times now, and TWAT (12 shows, Axl, c'mon!). The same friend in Iran who got me into Metallica also played me videos of Maiden (loved Fear of the Dark from the first time I saw the live video), Skid Row (18 and Life) and GNR (I remember him trying to convince me Slash was the greatest guitar player ever; I didn't disagree but I couldn't stand the singer :P ). If I was to describe the Metallica gig in 2 words it'd be "extremely professional", which isn't a bad thing, it's just obvious they know what they do, etc. They came on 20 mins later than Axl did, tho ;)

Wow Amir, are you from Iran? My grandpa was born and raised in Isfahan! Small world! Really cool to hear that Metallica and western music is loved in that part of the world. I was raised as a Bahai, so I particularly do not like Iran's regime (although they suck for a bunch of other reasons too) but I have great respect for the people there, and in many other middle eastern nations as well. Anyways, I am part Persian on my mom's side.

Anyways, after years of waiting I finally got to see Metallica since they did their Orion festival in my hometown. It was great, they did that surprise set playing all of Kill Em All on an intimate stage. I had a hunch so i got there early and got a great spot. It was absolute madness though, defiantly the craziest gig I have been to. Only the die hards knew about it and it felt like a club show in the 80s. I thought I was going to die but it was a ton of fun.

The second night was their full staged production. Was at the front and it was a phenomenal set. Caught picks from Kirk and James at the end. It was crazy, but didn't match the chaos of the day before (not that that is a bad thing). I would agree though, this set was very professional.

Still waiting on seeing Maiden and although I'm not the biggest Springsteen fan, I'd love to see the boss one day since he is so legendary live.

• Like 1

It was just a poor show, you can see on the DVD. Glastonbury seemed much more exciting, and I've seen a few cool YouTube vids of the November gig from last year at The O2 which sold out before I could get tickets (like the performance of Gimme Shelter with Florence Welch, regret not going to see her last December). Let me know how Elton John's show is, I've been meaning to see him for a while.

Forgot about Mayer Hawthorne, updated list:

5. Kanye West – Apollo

7. Metallica – Abu Dhabi

8. Mayer Hawthorne - Heaven

9. Alice in Chains – Ally Pally

10. Arcade Fire – The Roundhouse

11. Guns N’ Roses – Abu Dhabi

12. Ludivico Einaudi – Barbican

13. Rolling Stones – Hyde Park

14. Kavinsky – Some warehouse

Hawthorne had the added benefit of having this lovely young lady as his opener:

906142_594567647269010_1418315324_o.jpg

Wawaweewa. You can't tell from the photo but she's a stunning redhead.

Literally every Stones show this year was a better performance than Hyde Park IMO.

Which Maiden gig did you prefer, The O2 or Rock In Rio?

Anyhow, my recap (Also counting gigs still to come)...

- Iron Maiden x 13 (Malmo, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Helsinki, Bucharest, Istanbul, Zagreb, London x 2, Austin, Las Vegas, San Bernardino)

- Anthrax x 8 (Detroit, New York x 2, Montreal, Bucharest, Istanbul, Zagreb, San Bernardino)

- Sabaton x 6 (Malmo, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Moscow, Helsinki, San Bernardino) - opening for Iron Maiden

- Voodoo Six x 6 (Malmo, Stockholm, Bucharest, Istanbul, Zagreb, London) - opening for Iron Maiden

- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones x 5 (Pittsburgh, Montreal, Boston x 3)

- Tower Of Power x 4 (Minneapolis x 4)

- Guns N' Roses x 3 (Buffalo, Brooklyn, New York)

- Exodus x 3 (Detroit, New York x 2) - opening for Anthrax

- Municipal Waste x 3 (Detroit, New York x 2) - opening for Anthrax

- Megadeth x 3 (Austin, Las Vegas, San Bernardino) - opening for Iron Maiden

- Alice Cooper x 2 (Red Bank, Morristown)

- Shadows Fall x 2 (New York x 2) - opening for Anthrax

- The Rolling Stones (Toronto)

- Dizzy Reed (Baltimore)

- Rush (Hershey)

- Mayer Hawthorne (Toronto)

- FLAG (Montreal)

- Scott Weiland (Niagara Falls)

Wow Amir, are you from Iran? My grandpa was born and raised in Isfahan! Small world! Really cool to hear that Metallica and western music is loved in that part of the world. I was raised as a Bahai, so I particularly do not like Iran's regime (although they suck for a bunch of other reasons too) but I have great respect for the people there, and in many other middle eastern nations as well. Anyways, I am part Persian on my mom's side.

Anyways, after years of waiting I finally got to see Metallica since they did their Orion festival in my hometown. It was great, they did that surprise set playing all of Kill Em All on an intimate stage. I had a hunch so i got there early and got a great spot. It was absolute madness though, defiantly the craziest gig I have been to. Only the die hards knew about it and it felt like a club show in the 80s. I thought I was going to die but it was a ton of fun.

The second night was their full staged production. Was at the front and it was a phenomenal set. Caught picks from Kirk and James at the end. It was crazy, but didn't match the chaos of the day before (not that that is a bad thing). I would agree though, this set was very professional.

Still waiting on seeing Maiden and although I'm not the biggest Springsteen fan, I'd love to see the boss one day since he is so legendary live.

We'll fix that next US tour, probably 2015.

My experiences at The O2 and Rio Maiden gigs were comparable, which is why I ranked them the same. O2 one was my first, got to go with friends (and meet up with you ;) ), got close to the front at the end of it. Rio, I hung out in the back, enjoyed the stage show more, and got to hear a South American crowd sing along to Fear of the Dark, which was magical.

• Like 1

Is hallowed be thy name back in the set?

No, the Maiden England set was:

1. Moonchild

2. Can I Play With Madness

3. The Prisoner

4. 2 Minutes To Midnight

5. Afraid To Shoot Strangers

6. The Trooper

7. Number Of The Beast

8. Phantom Of The Opera

9. Run To The Hills

10. Wasted Years

11. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

12. The Clairvoyant

13. Fear Of The Dark

14. Iron Maiden

---

15. Aces High

16. The Evil That Men Do

17. Running Free

I'm sure Hallowed will be back on the next tour though, it was a pretty unpopular choice to drop it. Most of my Maiden mates, even the ones who've seen upwards of 200 gigs were really upset they didn't play it this tour. This was the first time ever it was dropped from the setlist. I'll never forget the just...total shock at the opening night in Charlotte last year when they went into Running Free after TETMD - all the FC members on the barrier were just looking around at each other like "what the fuck is happening right now?" :lol:

Personally, the exclusion of Hallowed didn't sour this show for me at all. It's my favorite tour they've ever done as a whole, and I think it's one of the top 3 or 4 setlists they've ever done (Along with the Somewhere In Time setlist, the Seventh Son setlist, and the Ed Hunter setlist).