How much GN'R era stuff has Slash, Izzy, Gilby and Duff released on their solo albums?

Vincent Vega

How much GN'R era stuff (or stuff written originally for GN'R) has Slash used on Snakepit, the VR records and his solo albums? What about stuff that Izzy has written and released and Gilby and Matt? Do you know of any of their songs were written originally to be GN'R songs but were either rejected or they quit before they could be used?

Slash said in '96 before he left that the band had 80 songs written and we know that the following songs were DEFINITELY originally meant to be GN'R songs:

Back and Forth Again (A slightly different version plays in the Making of Estranged video with Axl whistling over it) / All of the first Snakepit album

Nightcrawler (unreleased song from the UYI sessions, was released as Speed Parade on Ain't Life Grand)

Fall to Pieces (Axl claims Slash showed him the key bits and riff around '95 and '96)

Are there any other songs that you know of that Slash, Izzy, Duff or Gilby have released on their solo records which were originally written to be GN'R songs?

Edited by Vincent Vega

In April 1995 Duff invited Izzy to write songs for the next GN'R album; together, they recorded about ten demos. Some of these apparently have been released on Stradlin's solo projects (I do not know which ones?). Axl liked one (Down by the Ocean) to such an extent that it may appear on an upcoming new gnr album.

Fall To Pieces was never a GnR song, it was written in 2002.

If what I've heard of Nightcrawler is real, it's not the same song as Speed Parade.

The "slightly different" version of Back and Forth Again could very well be a different song.

I don't think we know of any actual song titles that were meant to be GnR songs.

Fall To Pieces was never a GnR song, it was written in 2002.

If what I've heard of Nightcrawler is real, it's not the same song as Speed Parade.

The "slightly different" version of Back and Forth Again could very well be a different song.

I don't think we know of any actual song titles that were meant to be GnR songs.

Marc said Nightcrawler is Speed Parade.

Back and Forth Again sounds pretty much the same as it does on the Snakepit record except on the Making of Estranged there's no organ.

Couldn't the riff and keybits of Fall to Pieces have been written in '96? Slash claimed the band had written 80 songs by the summer of '96, and Matt confirmed they'd recorded 7 songs. I doubt Slash would've just canned those songs because he left GN'R.

He said he wrote the whole thing in 2002, I asked him over twitter if any of it was written when he was in GnR and he said no.

I've listened to that bit on the making of Estranged a few dozen times trying to see if it was in fact Back and Forth Again, it was similar but not close enough for it to be definite.

Speed Parade and what apparently is Nightcrawler have the same sort of sound, but it's not the same song. I am just basing this on what I've heard which could be incorrect, I admit. The two versions of Nightcrawler I've heard though are not the same as Speed Parade.

He may have heard something else. I mean he heard it in 96, and the song came out in 2004. Slash could've been just messing around, playing whatever. It may have very well been similar to FTP, but the actual song was fully written in 2002.

Nobody is questioning that the song was 'fully' written in 2002, but, I do not see any reason to disbelieve Axl when he stated that he heard an element of the song in 1996.

Fall To Pieces could have been anything. I'm not even that great of a guitar player and even I know that riff is just messing around with suspending a single open chord. The first thing people play as soon as they strap on a guitar is usually a single chord w/ some suspending just to see if it's in tune.

• 2 years later...

It would be interesting to know if Gilby intended any of Pawnshop Guitars for GN'R. It is plausible because of the time period - early/mid 94 (it was released the month he was sacked).

Gilby wrote a lot of them before coming into GN'R, but offered the album to the band for use and it was rejected.

In Slash's book he mentions how before Weiland joined VR and Izzy was involved that they made what would have been "hands down the best GNR record". I wonder how many songs of those ended up on Contraband or Libertad (not many here... lol) or the Slash and friends album...

well, this came out 2-3 years before his first solo album:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's 'saved' some favorite riffs and stuff for a few years.