The Official Whiskey, Whisky, Bourbon and Scotch Thread

Dan H.

Which do you prefer?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bourbon. I think it's lovely in the summer. Enjoying a bottle of Hirsch now.

I also quite like straight forward Islay whisky in summer. The pure peat stuff. Had a dram of Laphroaig Cask Strength (55,7%) earlier today which was superb. Other than that I'd say something light fruity. Balvenie and such.

I also quite like straight forward Islay whisky in summer. The pure peat stuff. Had a dram of Laphroaig Cask Strength (55,7%) earlier today which was superb. Other than that I'd say something light fruity. Balvenie and such.

I see after 22 pages you've come around to the bourbon side :lol:

Nah, not really. Scotch still wins it. :lol: But I've been getting to know a lot more bourbon over the past year and a half. Which is nice. There's some gems in there. But I still have 2 bourbon bottles and 19 Scotch bottles here. What does that tell ya? ;)

Nah, not really. Scotch still wins it. :lol: But I've been getting to know a lot more bourbon over the past year and a half. Which is nice. There's some gems in there. But I still have 2 bourbon bottles and 19 Scotch bottles here. What does that tell ya? ;)

You're an alcoholic? :lol:

Alcoholic implies that you have a problem. I have a hobby. -_-

• Like 1

Alcoholic implies that you have a problem. I have a hobby. -_-

Yeah, i hear retracing your steps after a 3 day blackout can be quite the adventure :lol:

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

Bump

What are your favorite summertime whiskeys?

Depends. Generally something light. Something like Glen Garioch or Old Pulteney. I have a nice Blair Athol that's summery too. Maybe a nice Longmorn. And bourbon works well in the summer. Hirsch Selection at the moment. 

Then again at an occasional campfire or barbecue I might still bring out something peaty. I've got an amazing cask strength Ledaig and a beautiful Caol Ila at the moment. 

When the thirst for sherry does rear it's head, I always have some Glendronach. And I just got a very promising single cask PX sherry Bunnahabhain this week. 

Oh, also Balvenie. One of my favourite go-to whiskies for any occasion. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2015 at 4:34 PM, Len Cnut said:

No, I'm just getting senile

nooo Uncle Lennie you're not ;)

i hate Whiskey. *barf* so disappointed that a mint julep was just mint muddled with sugar, then add bourbon and pour it over crushed ice. yak!

also not happy when i found scotch did not taste at ALL like butterscotch! but butterscotch schnapp is yummy! ;)

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

On 4/12/2017 at 3:09 AM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

also not happy when i found scotch did not taste at ALL like butterscotch! but butterscotch schnapp is yummy! ;)

This is easily the most offensive thing I've ever read in my life. :max:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Any Irish whiskey recommendations? Have never been a big liquor guy but always liked Jameson. 

Bulleit if we are talking bourbon.  

Try Redbreast 12 or 15. And if you're into peaty whisky try Connemara 12. Very different kind of peat than the Scottish ones though. 

Also, I'm looking for some Bourbon tips. I love stuff like Pappy, Booker's, Weller 12 or Blanton's Straight From The Barrel. But most of that is fairly expensive here. Any bourbon that comes close to those in quality but at a much lower price? Not that big a fan of Bulleit. I do think Buffalo Trace is decent and Knob Creek is ok too.