Do you think TIL was the song that Slash and Duff hated on, thus causing Axl to lose his songwriting confidence for years?

Randy Lahey

Do you think TIL was the song that Slash and Duff hated on, thus causing Axl to lose his songwriting confidence for years? Personally, I think it would have worked better as an instrumental piece for a movie soundtrack rather than a GNR song. I can never get past the awful and cheesy lyrics on this one.

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash: ''At one point he said he was gonna a solo project, then he decided his solo-project he could do with Guns, which I was like, after doing all those videos and this and that and the other, I was like: "No". [laughs] No, I don't wanna get involved in any kind of Stephanie Seymour ballads or any of that shit." (Slash, Canadian Radio, 04/20/95)
"Everybody used to go, "What's gonna happen when Guns is no longer.. when a new fad comes along?" or whatever. And I'd be, "I don't give a fuck". And I watched it happen, and it didn't matter to me. With Axl it mattered a hell of a lot. Next thing you know, he wants to be Pearl Jam, right? Why? I hate Pearl Jam anyway, so what's the point? And it's great to watch Pearl Jam going through what they're going through, cos I'm going, "See Axl?"

"We do what we do the best that anybody does. Let's just go out and do a club tour, a theatre tour, and fucking get back down to where we have some validity with an audience that we can relate to. But Axl was all fucking.. he wants to be on MTV, he wants to do Unplugged, he wants to be this, he wants to be that. So we didn't see eye to eye, and that's where a lot of that bullshit got started, and of course it was blown out of all proportion in the press."

- Slash, November 1995
"This all happened in the brake between the end of the "Illusions"-tour and the proposed beginning of recordings for the next GN'R album. On the first Snakepit-record I used some ideas which were really planned for the next GN'R-record, but Axl and I disagreed on the future direction of the band. I played Axl a demo with some of my ideas for songs, and all he said was: "I don't feel like playing this kind of music." I answered: "But this could be a excellent Gunner-record, hundred percent in GN'R style." He didn't really care 'cause he only wanted to play industrial and Pearl Jam-sounding crap.
- Slash, 2000 Edited by Vincent Vega

I think the lyrics to 'This I Love' are profound and moving. It took Axl great courage, insight and integrity to express himself in such a vulnerable and honest way. Any sense of embarrassment felt by hearing his words on this song comes from the listener's own lack of personal evolvement.

Edited by Tyson

Slash and Duff had bigger egos than Axl.

Axl was just the eccentric recluse. In Axl's own words, they called him a loser. What assholes. But then again, they were complete alcoholic drug addicts at the time, sooo, some people around here give them a free pass.

Edited by brainsaber

They probably heard it, but from what we know, axl had so much different music back then, it's ridiculous. People have said he was going in a soft ballad direction, then grunge, then pearl jam music, then industrial rock, that it's unlikely that this is what they hated on.

Although I do agree, TIL is a HORRIBLE song.

Slash and Duff went to Axl and told him they weren't doing Nov Rain and Estranged. Axl talked them round. Slash has said that once they started the next album he wasn't interested in doing ballads anymore. I think that's why he did a my way or the highway thing with his material. My guess is that Tobias was brought in by Axl to work on ballads Slash wouldn't.

So yes, Slash wasn't interested in any "Stephanie Seymour ballads". I mean at that point those were knee deep in drugs with foot in the grave it just wasn't anything like what they were into. They were primed to do their Draw the Line if anything and Axl probably had a 15 minute version of This I Love to work out.

Slash and Duff went to Axl and told him they weren't doing Nov Rain and Estranged. Axl talked them round. Slash has said that once they started the next album he wasn't interested in doing ballads anymore. I think that's why he did a my way or the highway thing with his material. My guess is that Tobias was brought in by Axl to work on ballads Slash wouldn't.

So yes, Slash wasn't interested in any "Stephanie Seymour ballads". I mean at that point those were knee deep in drugs with foot in the grave it just wasn't anything like what they were into. They were primed to do their Draw the Line if anything and Axl probably had a 15 minute version of This I Love to work out.

Which is why it's great that they are gone.

Which is why it's great that they are gone.

Which, as we all know, is debatable.

If they honestly felt that way they were stupid. TIL is an amazing song, almost as good as November rain, almost. Slash and Duff would of added their personal touch to it and helped it become the true hit that it was meant to become. Like someone else said, they had their reservation about doing NR and estranged, and how wrong were they about those? Without these ballads that Axl either brought to the table or helped create (SCOM, don't cry, patience, NR, breakdown and estranged) GNR would not of been half the band that they became. If you take those songs away from the GNR cataloge they are just a poor mans version of AC/DC. ANd on a side note I don't think Duff had a problem with the ballads, he did write So Fine after all.

I fucking love that song. Such an awesome instrumental piece, and live [2010 especially] it's one of the most powerful ballads i've ever seen tbh.

Cheers for those Slash quotes though, hadn't seen those before, interesting.

Edited by OJones90

Duff had something to do with Patience or likes it. I think it's not ballads per say but I think they thought Nov Rain was too far.

I just think they had a hankering to get back to the early stuff. They got some criticism for the bloatedness of UYI and it was grunge era. It doesnt make sense to me, Nov Rain is one of their biggest songs.

They all had different ideas of what the band should be. I don't why they couldn't just help each other out like on UYI.

I think it was their personal problems that broke them up. musical differences were just par for the course.

I never really like This I Love. Good vocal from Axl on it, but I find it boring. Great solo from Robin though - that's the best part of the song. Otherwise, not much happens. Minus the solo, it's the same chord progression the whole time and it's more or less the same vocal melody the whole time too. Sometimes simplicity is key, but here I find it a little too repetitive.