Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why do people say the chorus of "Breakdown" sucks?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• SILVER
  • 15,127 posts
  • 28-January 11
Breakdown sounded 1000x better live performed by the original band. Slash shines on it!

Posted Image

Goddamn it! Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

izzygirl

izzygirl

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts
  • 28-February 10

Breakdown sounded 1000x better live performed by the original band. Slash shines on it!

Wow...right now I don't remember I have ever heard Breakdown live! I have to search on youtube..

Edited by izzygirl, 04 December 2012 - 05:51 PM.

21km35y.jpg

No son ojos porque los ves. Son ojos porque te miran.

Kill Devil Hill

Kill Devil Hill

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • 14-July 11

Wow...right now I don't remember I have ever heard Breakdown live! I have to search on youtube..

They only did it, I think, 4 or 6 times or something of that nature.

In regards to Slash, I read a desperate fan's message about, what if one of us were to die and looking back I had the possibility of a reunion now, blah blah blah. And my thoughts are, "Yeah, and while you're at the show your baby accidentally kicks a candle and burns your house down, killing himself and the rest of your family."

Mr. Dude

Mr. Dude

Pacifist

• SILVER
  • 978 posts
  • 21-November 13

Breakdown is the definitive Illusion era song. 

Who? Ray! Tolerance.

EvH

EvH

"Wanna get dancin'?"

• SILVER
  • 1,781 posts
  • 27-May 11

Funky guitar lick.

mygnrforum n°1 Queen Fan

wPt1QEz.jpg?1

niceguy

niceguy

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • 21-March 13
If Axl hadn't slathered this song with comical vocal delivery during the choruses (not to mention the idiotic spoken word outro), it would be a phenomenal song. As is, it's just merely great.
  • Powerage5 likes this
"Confused, would we?"

- Homer Simpson

Riddick Bowe

Riddick Bowe

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • 01-November 07

great all the way

OmarBradley

OmarBradley

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • 30-August 13

Love the song.  One of my favorite GNR songs, top 5 for sure.  Don't understand all the hate.

GNR - Hammerstein Ballroom 5/17/06, Continental Airlines Arena 11/08/06, Susquehanna Bank Center 11/26/11   VR - Starland Ballroom 5/18/07, PNC Bank Arts Center 8/17/07
Slash - Borgata 5/22/10 and 9/17/10,  Terminal 5 9/14/10, Rams Head 5/3/12, Irving Plaza 5/22/12, Wellmont Theatre 8/3/12, House of Blues 9/14/12, Sands Bethlehem Event Center 7/16/13, Jones Beach Theater 7/10/14 

Chunder Monkey

Chunder Monkey

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • 20-May 13

Because if you ask enough people you can find someone that hates anything, including great songs.

eggers

eggers

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • 10-April 05

If you hate this song you hate Axl's songwriting. The song 100% Axl.

Also, there is no chorus.

• RussTCB likes this

afterthebath

afterthebath

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • 16-September 04

Great Fucking song with amazing lyrics!

If I could change one thing about it though it would be the rant about the "Blue meanies" at the end. It steps on the outro solo which is all sorts of awesome and seems a bit forced and unnecessary in my opinion. 

Mr. Dude

Mr. Dude

Pacifist

• SILVER
  • 978 posts
  • 21-November 13

Great Fucking song with amazing lyrics!

If I could change one thing about it though it would be the rant about the "Blue meanies" at the end. It steps on the outro solo which is all sorts of awesome and seems a bit forced and unnecessary in my opinion. 

Yeah, the outro used to be bother me some too, but now I kind of dig it. It dates the song and makes it seem like a relic- which in retrospect I consider a good thing, especially when you consider the songs autobiographical nature. A lot of it seems to be about the mindset and headspace of the band as a whole during that time period. Along with Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, Estranged, and Civil War I consider it one of the centerpieces of the records. Its one of those glue songs that helps balance the record and allow the other songs to coexist without seeming out of place. 

If you hate this song you hate Axl's songwriting. The song 100% Axl.

Also, there is no chorus.

Agree 100% w/the first statement. 

I guess you could consider the "Breakdown, let me hear you now" part the chorus.

Who? Ray! Tolerance.

eggers

eggers

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • 10-April 05

It's more a refrain than a true chorus.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,398 posts
  • 10-May 08
awful song

dQOAHSG.png

mixk

mixk

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • 19-May 06
"Just because you're "winning" don't mean you're the lucky ones"

Is one of the better lyrics Axl has put to music.
"Take me down to the paradise city / Where the girls are fat and they got big titties."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users