$20 Million Guitar Hero Lawsuit Headed to Court

star

Guns ‘N Roses front man says he was promised his own dedicated Guitar Hero game.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/15/20-million-guitar-hero-lawsuit-headed-to-court

When are the next updates due ?

It's news to me Axl was promised his own dedicated Guitar Hero game ?

This bit is interesting:

Rose’s attorney, Skip Miller, says the trial will be “very interesting” and argues that multiple emails were sent to Activision objecting to Slash being included in Guitar Hero III, but the game was released anyway. Activision responded, arguing that “Rose had no authority to enter into a license for Welcome to the Jungle in his individual capacity because he does not own the song or the sound recording” and that even Rose admitted “Unanimous approval by all three partners of GNR Music is required before any license to use Guns 'N Roses music is given."

Activision says that there’s no basis for breach of contract since Rose shouldn’t have been able to make a deal on his own in the first place

If you can't create decent sounding music that sells, might as well file frivilous lawsuits, I guess.

How is the relevant for a band that sold at least 3 million copies of their last record?

That's worldwide and not all that impressive.

In the US (where I live and keep up with), they sold about 600k copies. They now play "Up Close and Personal" tours (aka "I can't fill an arena) and are a Vegas act. Even with that said, they couldn't fill a 4k capacity venue in LA on a Friday night. Would you like to do your thing and twist this so that it doesn't sound quite embarassing as it really is?

If you can't create decent sounding music that sells, might as well file frivilous lawsuits, I guess.

How is the relevant for a band that sold at least 3 million copies of their last record?

That's worldwide and not all that impressive.

In the US (where I live and keep up with), they sold about 600k copies. They now play "Up Close and Personal" tours (aka "I can't fill an arena) and are a Vegas act. Even with that said, they couldn't fill a 4k capacity venue in LA on a Friday night. Would you like to do your thing and twist this so that it doesn't sound quite embarassing as it really is?

All valid points.

I think they tour America to often to sell out all the time. That's why they sell out elsewhere around the world, as the tours a less frequent.

When they toured the states in 2011, it was the first time in 5 years. The vast majority did not sell out. Do you have any other excuses?

Those back and forth emails were between Beta and Activision. I have no idea why Axl didn't have a qualified attorney who specializes in contract law handle this sort of thing.

Hopefully there's no settlement before trial and this case actually makes it to court. Will be interesting to see what the outcomes is.

I think they tour America to often to sell out all the time. That's why they sell out elsewhere around the world, as the tours a less frequent.

When they toured the states in 2011, it was the first time in 5 years. The vast majority did not sell out. Do you have any other excuses?

What is your point?

So sellouts are the only way to judge a successful tour? I was at a few shows on their 2011 states tour and it was justifiable for them to play arenas. They averaged 6500 tickets sold at everyshow. As much as you might want to bash that, its still a success.

I saw the Foo Fighters in St.Louis a couple years ago, it was not a sellout, but im pretty sure it was a success

They didnt do the UCAP tour because they couldnt play bigger venues, They just played over 30 shows in arenas. I think they just wanted to do something small for the fans. I would choose GnR at the house of blues in chicago over GnR at the sprint center any day of the week.

The Vegas residency averaged 87% capacity at every show. That was a success.

Are they as relevant in 2012 as they were in 1991? No

I have a few questions,,

Is the music industry the same as it was in 1991?

Do album sales matter in 2012?

What do you judge a success by?

Are the states the only place that matters?

What was the best song GnR recorded between 1985 and 1991?

What was the best song GnR recorded between 1999 and 2008?

List 5 rock bands that are relevant in the states in 2012 in the 18-35 yr old demographic

Besides heroin, name something Steven Adler does well