Keep on thinking "Chinese Democracy" was a flop

GonzoThesaurus

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then go eat a peach. Don't just consume it, like, realllly eat it man.

Chinese Democracy was a staggering flop.

You're still allowed to like it you know. Nobody is gonna think you're a piece of shit or asshole or something just cause you like an album that was supposed to sell millions of copies but instead rotted like ET for Atari 2600.

Why do you so desperately NEED to believe the album was a success? Who gives a shit what other people think about the music you like?

Sales wise it was ok in comparison with its peers but it was no smash hit. It normally gets the nod as good music but people think it's not cool to like it. maybe musicians secretly listen to it at home and try to work out how they made these songs.

I see CD as like the Exile on Main Street of the 21st century.

Sometimes I feel like CD should be seen as a triumph for illuminati conspiracy freaks. I guess GNR is still too mainstream for that though.

Guy tries to do things on his own terms (for better or worse), media etc ridicules him and corners him, he finally gets album out, songs are full of messages about not getting crushed and stuff like that. I remember Axl's long text in an alternative version of the booklet that seemed to intimate that idea too.

That's my Wasted post for the day.

i like it and that is enough for me. i mean what difference does it make if the album was an official hit or not. you have to be honest to yourself. if you like it you like it. if you don't you can't help it.

i mean think about Velvet Underground. who cares that their initial albums were flops? those very albums today are regarded as one of the most influential ones. being popular( and thus being hit) is not a proof of quality nor greatness.

The album secured an IFPI European Platinum Award, having sold more than one million copies in Europe at 2009,Best buy bought 1.600.000 copies in USA ..When you add japan,canada,south America and rest of the world numbers.4 Million copies is an explainable number.

why do you ppl judge the success of a piece of art with something so frivolous as the money gained or sales?

You ppl forget about the downloads, the leaks, the unfinished versions.. hell, even the fakes leaks.. what about the youtube views? what about the myspace record? I truly believe that this is the most pirated album in modern history, an living legend that somehow reaches the history books with something unprecedented.

Chinese Democracy did not not flop. It sold a respectable amount of copies.

The problem is most people had no idea the album was coming out of available. And for those in the US, the exclusive Best Buy deal was a disaster because most people don't live close enough to a Best Buy etc. However, had Axl promoted the album, a lot of people would have made the effort to go to Best Buy and pick it up. Still though, a lot of people who are old fans or casual fans could have easily forgotten to do that.

Had Axl of promoted it, it would have sold a lot more.

I also don't think streaming it on myspace was a good idea either. In fact, it was a terrible idea, but I understand why they did it.

best buy was the best thing that could have happened to axl. they bought way more copies of that turd album than anyone in the general public would have. azoff deserves axl's unending gratitude for mitigating an even greater disaster.

streaming on myspace would have been a brilliant idea if the music had been good. there were a record number of listens. but that sure as hell didn't translate into buys. or even pr. it just served to convince everyone what they'd probably assumed anyways... it sucked.

Edited by HisRoyalSweetness