Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

Vincent Vega

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not a big fan of Plant's lyrics, but even so, Zeppelin are still probably the greatest rock band of all time.

The Beatles? The Rolling Stones? :question:

I like The Beatles, but they have never really been one of my favorite bands. I much prefer The Kinks to them when it comes to the earlier British bands. And of course I love the Stones! But I think if you take the vocals out of the mix, Zeppelin's music is better than any other band's music. Take When The Levee Breaks for example: the drums and harmonica intro is magic. Or Page's solo on Stairway to Heaven. No other band had the dynamics that Zep had, in my opinion.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Zep, all fuckin' day. Pink Floyd is just fuckin' cack for students. Patronising cack at that. At least Zep like...Floyd to me, live, is one of those things to just sit there with your gob open staring at. Zep had that fuckin' sonic force to make you fuckin' move...when they felt like it anyway.

My main problem with Floyd is that...it just seems like music made for stoned people designed to like, fit in with a buzz and that, to me, is patronising. Things that sound cool or work when you're fucked only really works as a happy accident thing, it is completely nullified when clear intent in this direction on the artists part is like...really obvious, just makes it boring. It's like the equivalent of being on acid and your mate walking up to you and wiggling his fingers right in your face over and over again and going "is this making you more fucked, is this making you feel more fucked?" No, you nobhead, it's not :lol:

Zep, all fuckin' day. Pink Floyd is just fuckin' cack for students. Patronising cack at that. At least Zep like...Floyd to me, live, is one of those things to just sit there with your gob open staring at. Zep had that fuckin' sonic force to make you fuckin' move...when they felt like it anyway.

My main problem with Floyd is that...it just seems like music made for stoned people designed to like, fit in with a buzz and that, to me, is patronising. Things that sound cool or work when you're fucked only really works as a happy accident thing, it is completely nullified when clear intent in this direction on the artists part is like...really obvious, just makes it boring. It's like the equivalent of being on acid and your mate walking up to you and wiggling his fingers right in your face over and over again and going "is this making you more fucked, is this making you feel more fucked?" No, you nobhead, it's not :lol:

What a load of fucking bullshit! I love PF and I grew up with them. Neither I nor my parents have ever been stoned (I know that for a fact) yet we love them. So that just fucked that theory totally! :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Not really, thats about the shit it came from, don't mean you've got to engage in it to listen to the music or even that everyone that ever listened to it did. It's just in a sober state its about 50 times more insulting :lol:

I_hate_small_image.jpg

Buy the T shirt kids :D

Guest Len B'stard

It's the fuckin' barefoot, cross-legged, mung-bean eating fuckin' generations music, lightweight fuckin' brainless cack. Bunch of fuckin' dirty hippies with birds nest barnets that smell like a fuckin' dustbin in the summertime. Horrible stuff. The substitute teachers choice.

It's the fuckin' barefoot, cross-legged, mung-bean eating fuckin' generations music, lightweight fuckin' brainless cack. Bunch of fuckin' dirty hippies with birds nest barnets that smell like a fuckin' dustbin in the summertime. Horrible stuff. The substitute teachers choice.

I love Pink Floyd you cheeky cuntbag! :lol:

I really don't understand what you are saying here, except for the words boring and patronising, but I agree :lol:

Never got into Pink Floyd, I just don't feel it. But I do feel Zep. So for me Zep by far!

Guest Len B'stard

Alls i ask out of music right, all i want, the ONE thing music has got to have is passion. Play it like you fuckin' mean it, fuckin' entertain me, i paid money for this shit, lay into it. You don't even have to be brilliant at what you do, it's great if you are a great musician in the John Paul Jones sense of the word but even if you're playing totally simple stuff, fuckin' lay into it, try hard, y'know?

I don't even like Zep that much but at least they had fuckin' nadgers, at least they could belt a fuckin' tune out, at least they could make you move. There's just no denying a song like Rock n Roll or Black Dog. Or like, y'know, even slower stuff, before you think i'm trying to say you all need to sound like fuckin' heavy metal or something, no, even like Dazed and Confused, the way the guitar fuckin' wails, the way Plant makes you fuckin' think about every bird that ever done you fuckin' wrong, i mean like, he draws you into the song. And Bonzo, fuck me, the way he just hit so fuckin' hard, the way it sounded so fuckin' dense...and it weren't even like, just on simple hard-hitting type stuff, even when he did rolls and fills they just had this fuckin' reverberative thud to it, a richness, it weren't like an afterthought or just a clever little touch of colour to the song like most little fills are, y'know, something you could take from the song, they were like...a key part of the overall effect of the song, it's four people really laying into what they're doing and communicating emotion through it.

And thats all i ask, make me fuckin' feel something. Heartbreaker, fuck me, is there any question about that song?!?! Floyd can't touch Zep...and i ain't particularly a fan of either but Zep win on the basis of they could fuckin' do it when they wanted, they could really lay it down.

Edited by sugaraylen

Alls i ask out of music right, all i want, the ONE thing music has got to have is passion. Play it like you fuckin' mean it, fuckin' entertain me, i paid money for this shit, lay into it. You don't even have to be brilliant at what you do, it's great if you are a great musician in the John Paul Jones sense of the word but even if you're playing totally simple stuff, fuckin' lay into it, try hard, y'know?

I don't even like Zep that much but at least they had fuckin' nadgers, at least they could belt a fuckin' tune out, at least they could make you move. There's just no denying a song like Rock n Roll or Black Dog. Or like, y'know, even slower stuff, before you think i'm trying to say you all need to sound like fuckin' heavy metal or something, no, even like Dazed and Confused, the way the guitar fuckin' wails, the way Plant makes you fuckin' think about every bird that ever done you fuckin' wrong, i mean like, he draws you into the song. And Bonzo, fuck me, the way he just hit so fuckin' hard, the way it sounded so fuckin' dense...and it weren't even like, just on simple hard-hitting type stuff, even when he did rolls and fills they just had this fuckin' reverberative thud to it, a richness, it weren't like an afterthought or just a clever little touch of colour to the song like most little fills are, y'know, something you could take from the song, they were like...a key part of the overall effect of the song, it's four people really laying into what they're doing and communicating emotion through it.

And thats all i ask, make me fuckin' feel something. Heartbreaker, fuck me, is there any question about that song?!?! Floyd can't touch Zep...and i ain't particularly a fan of either but Zep win on the basis of they could fuckin' do it when they wanted, they could really lay it down.

Everything you ever write in this section, and much of what you write in other sections, seems to me, comes down to this. You aren't able to experience something calmly and enjoy it, are you? It has to have a sort of intense burning energy. It just seems to me like you've just got a very bad temper or attitude or whatever it is.

My point is, it's not the music, it's you.

Guest Len B'stard

Everything you ever write in this section, and much of what you write in other sections, seems to me, comes down to this. You aren't able to experience something calmly and enjoy it, are you? It has to have a sort of intense burning energy. It just seems to me like you've just got a very bad temper or attitude or whatever it is.

My point is, it's not the music, it's you.

Perhaps you've got a point but i hope not. I like a lot of jazz, which is wonderful music for like...driving at night. Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, a helluva lot of blues which, OK, i suppose can be quite intense but i do like a lot of calm stuff. Autobahn for instance, Kraftwerk. The energy doesn't necessarily have to be as simplistic a thing as like...what you hear, it could just be like...the spirit of inventiveness in a given thing. Thats a kind of an energy, isn't it? Or is it, i don't know but i'd like to think it is, the energy being what is expended in like...thinking outside of the box or between the lines. And hey, i love The Beatles and they have many many gentle kinda songs.

For the amount of movies i've posted watching in the Film Thread i'd have to be reasonably sedate just to sit down and watch like, 4 movies in one day or something. Or perhaps the franticness is in the need to watch 4 in one day, i dunno.

And if perchance it is just me, suffice to say a lot of people agree with me so perhaps it's less a case of me having too much of something and more a case of you lacking something. Or perhaps neither. As far as it ain't the music, it's you, well thats the case with everybody, is it not? Who you are and the way you are has a direct bearing in what appeals to you, no? :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Off topic, Just got this from a boot vendor in Japan, crazy money so you can expect this to show up on download sites

Led Zeppelin - Double Shot (5/25 & 30/77 Landover - Previously Unreleased SB) Empress Valley Label. The Soundboard Revolution Series proudly presents for the very First and Only time anywhere, Two legendary nights in Landover, Md - Complete and in Perfect Stereo Soundboard!!!

Two versions of this set with different artwork are NOW in stock:

Extremely Ltd Slip Case Edition (100 Copies Only!!) This 6 CD set includes both 5/25 & 5/30 1977 Maryland shows. The CD sets are housed in special paper cases and covered by uniqe slipcase similiar in packaging to Snowblind also from Empress Valley label - $240 plus shipping

Maryland Moonshine Box Set - Ultimate Collectors Edition (50 Copies Only!!) This 12 CD Mega Deluxe Box includes the entire four night Maryland 1977 stand in Complete and Perfect Stereo Soundboard!! Each CD set is housed in special paper cases inside awesome Ltd Ed box. Please inquire for prices and availability!

We're NOW ready to begin processing orders for this title as we expect initial supplies will be quite limited and demand extremely high.

Edited by classicrawker

It should be a draw, because the differences between the two balance each other out.

I'll name a few:

DUDE, this is straight up correct, the best way to explain a pink floyd vs led zeppelin thing, although in the end i would choose floyd but i still agree with you

The impressive thing for me with Led Zeppelin was how fast Jimmy Page was able to put it together in a summer and by the end of the year had a new album, and having this crazy-Beatles like schedule of touring and recording, and that's where Page as producer could work all that out while they were on the road, and when they wanted to just record at their leisure, he borrowed the Stones mobile studio and wired up Headley Grange.

Pink Floyd were given creative freedom, and I guess as long as they were selling albums that made it in the top 10, could keep going. Atom Heart Mother charted at #1 because Ummagumma had done really well, and peaked at #5. Not bad for a double album.

Funny thing - "Dark Side of the Moon" peaked at #2 in the UK, #1 in the US. "Animals" didn't peak at #1, either. "The Wall"? #3 in the UK, #1 in the US. "The Final Cut"? #1 in the UK, #6 in US.