Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,337 posts
  • 09-March 08
zep, but love pink floyd as well.

shallan_zps2f2c7265.jpg

“Ah, the outdoors,' Shallan said. 'I visited that mythical place once.” 

moreblack

moreblack

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 30,026 posts
  • 03-April 03

Plant wrote some good lyrics on "Carouselambra"

Such an underrated gem, I think the keyboards drown out the quality of the song itself. Stripped down it sounds really awesome, and as you said, good lyrics. Randy Jackson of Zebra does a really good acoustic version.

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*
  • Guests
  • --
Pink Floyd of course. They're far superior.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• Supporters
  • 14,248 posts
  • 10-May 08

Now that Led Zeppelin has clearly won against The Stones, let's see how they do versus Pink Floyd

>clearly won
>5 vote difference

you tryin to talk some shit, huh baldy?

dQOAHSG.png

feconroses

feconroses

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • 16-February 06
Pink Floyd in every possible way. And I love LZ!

We ARE superior that is a fact :D

j/k and anyway I love Britney Spears.

Posted Image

Andrew07

Andrew07

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • 20-February 07

It should be a draw, because the differences between the two balance each other out.
I'll name a few:
Stage show - Pink Floyd have very little footage in their prime, Led Zep have a pretty good representation of their live shows. It's hard to tell from grainy 8mm what Pink Floyd's shows were like. You had to be there for it. But they put a lot of work into the stage shows so everyone in the venue would have a good experience. If someone was in the nosebleeds for Led Zeppelin, it wasn't going to be as enjoyable.

Pink Floyd for the most part sounded like the albums. That could be good or bad.

Led Zep looked like rock stars, Pink Floyd looked like the audience, which was prob. to Pink Floyd's advantage, and could go out without being harassed.
Musicianship - Led Zep, not even up for debate.
Catalog - Led Zep, because Pink Floyd had their experimental stuff and soundtracks. Page's experimentations were either done in The Yardbirds or before he brought his works in progress to the band. Pink Floyd didn't hit their stride until Meddle. LZ has a more polished up discography,they had very little in outtakes, because most of them wound up on Physical Graffiti and Coda.

Individual albums - Dark Side of the Moon alone outsold any of Led Zeppelin's albums. I think over time, Pink Floyd's imagery and status has grown, and Led Zep's has kind of stayed in the same place, and I think Pink Floyd's songs connect more than Led Zeppelin's do. I think Plant didn't start having the personal connection with the audience until the 90s and started playing smaller venues, Plant/Page was cool because they did the Led Zep songs again for a new generation, but it wasn't all that much of a nostalgia tour, because it was consistent with what Plant was doing in the 90s anyway.

The guys in Pink Floyd were singing about growing old and life sucks, let's make the most out of it, and people connect with that more than songs about Hobbits and Vikings. Plant wrote some good lyrics on "Carouselambra" and a few others, but no one really goes "wow, Robert Plant was a phenomenal lyricist" either. Sometimes it comes across as words to fit the song.

Pink Floyd's legacy has only grown bigger in time, and will continue to. Led Zeppelin have already cemented their legacy.

DUDE, this is straight up correct, the best way to explain a pink floyd vs led zeppelin thing, although in the end i would choose floyd but i still agree with you
wounds heals all time

Randy Lahey

Randy Lahey

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • 15,645 posts
  • 29-June 06
I'm not a big fan of Plant's lyrics, but even so, Zeppelin are still probably the greatest rock band of all time.

Edited by Randy Lahey, 13 December 2012 - 10:42 PM.

Posted Image
Welcome To The Jungle of Smooth Flamenco Beatz
Dre Day will make Axl's payday.

ZoSoRose

ZoSoRose

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • 14-December 08
2 of my favorites. but of course, zeppelin. no question :tongue2:

Guns N' Roses- London Ontario 2010, Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Detroit Michigan 2012 | Slash- Auburn Hills Michigan 2011, Grand Rapids Michigan 2012, Detroit Michigan 2012, Lansing Michigan 2013 | Duff McKagan- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony- Cleveland Ohio 2012 | Buckethead- Detroit Michigan 2011 | Walking Papers- Clarkston Michigan 2013 | The Dead Daisies- Clarkston Michigan 2013| Met Slash, Duff, Ron, Richard, Dizzy and DJ

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*
  • Guests
  • --

I'm not a big fan of Plant's lyrics, but even so, Zeppelin are still probably the greatest rock band of all time.

The Beatles? The Rolling Stones? :question:

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,331 posts
  • 12-July 12
Pink Floyd.

If izzygirl is Redhead I commit sudoku.

Randy Lahey

Randy Lahey

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • 15,645 posts
  • 29-June 06

The Beatles? The Rolling Stones? :question:

I like The Beatles, but they have never really been one of my favorite bands. I much prefer The Kinks to them when it comes to the earlier British bands. And of course I love the Stones! But I think if you take the vocals out of the mix, Zeppelin's music is better than any other band's music. Take When The Levee Breaks for example: the drums and harmonica intro is magic. Or Page's solo on Stairway to Heaven. No other band had the dynamics that Zep had, in my opinion.
Posted Image
Welcome To The Jungle of Smooth Flamenco Beatz
Dre Day will make Axl's payday.

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*
  • Guests
  • --
I must listen more to Zep. I've barely listened to them since I was a teenager.

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*
  • Guests
  • --
Been listening to Led Zeppelin for three hours now. I had forgotten how fucking amazing they were. They truly were amazing.

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,213 posts
  • 14-February 10
Zep, all fuckin' day. Pink Floyd is just fuckin' cack for students. Patronising cack at that. At least Zep like...Floyd to me, live, is one of those things to just sit there with your gob open staring at. Zep had that fuckin' sonic force to make you fuckin' move...when they felt like it anyway.

My main problem with Floyd is that...it just seems like music made for stoned people designed to like, fit in with a buzz and that, to me, is patronising. Things that sound cool or work when you're fucked only really works as a happy accident thing, it is completely nullified when clear intent in this direction on the artists part is like...really obvious, just makes it boring. It's like the equivalent of being on acid and your mate walking up to you and wiggling his fingers right in your face over and over again and going "is this making you more fucked, is this making you feel more fucked?" No, you nobhead, it's not :lol:

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

Fearless N***** get slapped in Manhattan

For rappin'

Big Ghost steps off laughin'

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,331 posts
  • 12-July 12

Zep, all fuckin' day. Pink Floyd is just fuckin' cack for students. Patronising cack at that. At least Zep like...Floyd to me, live, is one of those things to just sit there with your gob open staring at. Zep had that fuckin' sonic force to make you fuckin' move...when they felt like it anyway.

My main problem with Floyd is that...it just seems like music made for stoned people designed to like, fit in with a buzz and that, to me, is patronising. Things that sound cool or work when you're fucked only really works as a happy accident thing, it is completely nullified when clear intent in this direction on the artists part is like...really obvious, just makes it boring. It's like the equivalent of being on acid and your mate walking up to you and wiggling his fingers right in your face over and over again and going "is this making you more fucked, is this making you feel more fucked?" No, you nobhead, it's not :lol:

What a load of fucking bullshit! I love PF and I grew up with them. Neither I nor my parents have ever been stoned (I know that for a fact) yet we love them. So that just fucked that theory totally! :lol:

If izzygirl is Redhead I commit sudoku.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users