The Doors vs. The Velvet Underground vs. Jefferson Airplane vs. Nirvana

Vincent Vega

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Velvet Underground are the more important band, the more inventive band musically, the most influential. Nirvana are probably the next along in terms of influence, importance and general musical fuckin' rad-ness. The Doors are the better band, the better collective in the classical sense of the word and of what a rock band is and Jefferson are just a really really good band.

To me though, The Doors, VU and Nirvana are evens in terms of how much i love them personally...but VU are head and shoulders above the rest in an overall sense.

Lou Reed was the best songwriter out of those bands. I think he liked Cobain because they played with guitar feedback and prob. would've collaborated at some point.

I think the "VU most influential" thing got played up a bit too much, Bowie helped get interest in Reed as a solo artist and namedropped VU. Loaded was a minor hit, but people love the "Rock and Roll Animal" version of "Sweet Jane", and that's waht got played on the radio. in the ZIggy days. Jimi's feedback definitely factored into VU, otherwise why would Lou Reed be interviewed in the Hendrix doc?

Guest Len B'stard

I think a lot of people say it cuz it's the thing to say but just as many people say it with a full understanding of the history behind that influence and how far reaching it truly was.

I think a lot of people say it cuz it's the thing to say but just as many people say it with a full understanding of the history behind that influence and how far reaching it truly was.

To me, VU were two very different bands with and without John in the group. John and Sterling should get more credit on what they did in the band, that's all Lou's doing.

Guest Len B'stard

Probably just my eyes...don't look like her though. Looks like Edie if anyone, especially the second one. Not saying it's not her, it's probably just me. Not in the picture, i mean it's probably just me imaginings things, me in the picture would just be grotesque :lol: