Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Doors vs. The Velvet Underground vs. Jefferson Airplane vs. Nirvana

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: The Doors vs. The Velvet Underground vs. Jefferson Airplane vs. Nirvana (27 member(s) have cast votes)

The Doors vs. Jefferson Airplane vs. The Velvet Underground vs. Nirvana

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• Supporters
  • 15,612 posts
  • 25-November 02
Velvets and it's not even close. :rolleyes:

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,425 posts
  • 14-February 10
Velvet Underground are the more important band, the more inventive band musically, the most influential. Nirvana are probably the next along in terms of influence, importance and general musical fuckin' rad-ness. The Doors are the better band, the better collective in the classical sense of the word and of what a rock band is and Jefferson are just a really really good band.

To me though, The Doors, VU and Nirvana are evens in terms of how much i love them personally...but VU are head and shoulders above the rest in an overall sense.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

Fearless N***** get slapped in Manhattan

For rappin'

Big Ghost steps off laughin'

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,455 posts
  • 12-December 08
Lou Reed was the best songwriter out of those bands. I think he liked Cobain because they played with guitar feedback and prob. would've collaborated at some point.

I think the "VU most influential" thing got played up a bit too much, Bowie helped get interest in Reed as a solo artist and namedropped VU. Loaded was a minor hit, but people love the "Rock and Roll Animal" version of "Sweet Jane", and that's waht got played on the radio. in the ZIggy days. Jimi's feedback definitely factored into VU, otherwise why would Lou Reed be interviewed in the Hendrix doc?

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,425 posts
  • 14-February 10

I think a lot of people say it cuz it's the thing to say but just as many people say it with a full understanding of the history behind that influence and how far reaching it truly was.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,455 posts
  • 12-December 08

I think a lot of people say it cuz it's the thing to say but just as many people say it with a full understanding of the history behind that influence and how far reaching it truly was.

To me, VU were two very different bands with and without John in the group. John and Sterling should get more credit on what they did in the band, that's all Lou's doing.

MEXzilla

MEXzilla

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • 16-May 12
I think all four groups are overrated and Nirvana is especially overrated; but if i had to choose I'd choose Nirvana. :awesomeface:

Oh n Jim Morrison has the best voice by miles out these four bands but he just didn't have a good band around him. He would've been fucking great if he had himself a blues guitar player like Eric Clapton or a Jeff Beck; heck even Hendrix would fit with Morrison.

Edited by MEXzilla, 17 December 2012 - 07:40 PM.

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,391 posts
  • 12-July 12
Just had to share these images of Nico from VU. She looks amazing in every one.

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

If izzygirl is Redhead I commit sudoku.

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,425 posts
  • 14-February 10
R u sure thats Nico?

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,391 posts
  • 12-July 12

R u sure thats Nico?

Yep. Photographed by Jeanloup Sieff in 1956.

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,425 posts
  • 14-February 10
Probably just my eyes...don't look like her though. Looks like Edie if anyone, especially the second one. Not saying it's not her, it's probably just me. Not in the picture, i mean it's probably just me imaginings things, me in the picture would just be grotesque :lol:

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• Supporters
  • 8,391 posts
  • 12-July 12
Nico with longer hair (and Lou Reed):

Posted Image

Edie Sedgwick:

Posted Image

Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama

I WILL EAT YOUR PUPPY

• Supporters
  • 14,645 posts
  • 14-August 07

Posted Image

Always thought she was got but needed a bucket of KFC or ten.

Posted Image

Always thought she was fit but needed a bucket of KFC or ten.

Nobody will ever let you know when you ask the reasons why They just tell you that you're on your own Fill your head all full of lies

You bastards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users