Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

If Axl & Slash Have a Reunion, Will Their Tour Sellout Arenas/Stadiums Worldwide?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: If Axl & Slash Have a Reunion, Will Their Tour Sellout Arenas/Stadiums Worldwide? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Will it be a sellout tour worldwide?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• Supporters
  • 8,490 posts
  • 13-February 06

Slash's average attendance is around 1,000 people. Axl's is around 4,000 people. The other 3 can be counted in the hundreds. Add all 5 together, subtract the half that go see more than 1, and tell me how many arenas that sells out.

I've seen slash 9 times and the only show that had less then 2000 people was the music week show in Toronto. But that venue only held 900 people. The last show I saw he sold about 9000 tickets and this is in a city of about 300k. But your axl math is about right as I've seen him 7 times and most shows were about 5k attendance. With one being about 9k and one being 14k

I'd think they would be able to fill arenas across the states and stadiums in the rest of the world v

You can give Slash as many fans as you want , and they still won't be filling anything. What states were these 2,000 plus attendances achieved in again?
:shrugs:

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08
Depends if it's advertised as "Guns N' Roses" or "Axl and Slash".

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's tours from 1995-1998 didn't sell out a lot of places. If they would have used the Led Zeppelin name they would have sold out easy.

Why didn't they use the Zeppelin name? They didn't want to deal with babysitting the legacy of the band and the baggage that came with the name.

Take note, Axl.

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost, 13 December 2012 - 02:05 PM.

trqster

trqster

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • 08-August 06
Axl & Slash would be a killing commercial combo and pretty much 'GnR' is about for 90% of the fans out there. No one else really needed from the original/UYI lineups...
Old-timer Gn'R fan since '87... 

Greg Miller

Greg Miller

Junior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 22-June 08

Not even if all 5 AFD members? And with a kickass album?

No, of course not... They do a tour or two with slightly better attendance than the current band and break-up without releasing an album, kick-ass or not.

Axl would try to put together a new band, but it would be hard after axing the current line-up, and GnR of any sort would be dead for good.

Axl and Slash: Still a better love story than Twilight.

GN'R Lies

GN'R Lies

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 07-May 10
Just Axl and Slash? No. The original 5? That would generate a buzz. Still, hard to predict if that buzz would take off enough to fill stadiums. A 'some kind of monster' promo would do it, to explain their journey and show the original members have brought back the GN'R spirit as well as themselves. I don't think they'd need a new album, although would be awesome.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • 14-January 12

Not in this lifetime. Guns will never be as big as it was no matter who is in the band.

They (GNR) are headed in the right direction and are bigger than ever.

Which is it?

I think the big kicker would be how much the media would get behind a GNR reunion. The thing is, as Slash and Axl are in the public eye lots anyway, there would be no 'oh my god they're back!' factor.

But then there have been lots of reunions occur where the band members had already played together (Libertines for example) where I saw the media push it as a big reunion anyway, and GNR are obviously on a different planet in terms of legacy than most bands.

However, most bands bring the name back, not the members back. Page and Plant played together but it's when 'Led Zeppelin' is on the marquee that shit hits the fan. A band with the name 'Guns N Roses' is currently touring already so what would the angle be? 'Axl and Slash'. I wonder how tickets would sell if that was the name.

Edited by Chinaski, 13 December 2012 - 02:24 PM.

pmue.png

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 7,147 posts
  • 06-February 10

Slash's average attendance is around 1,000 people. Axl's is around 4,000 people. The other 3 can be counted in the hundreds. Add all 5 together, subtract the half that go see more than 1, and tell me how many arenas that sells out.

When they toured solo in the 80's Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were lucky to sell out theaters but when the Stones regrouped in 89 they sold out stadiums for mutliple nights that tour..

I think the AFD era Guns could easily sell out arenas here in the States and NuGuns already sells well over seas so to me it is a no barainer the real Guns would have no issue selling out a tour....
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• Supporters
  • 8,490 posts
  • 13-February 06

When they toured solo in the 80's Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were lucky to sell out theaters but when the Stones regrouped in 89 they sold out stadiums for mutliple nights that tour..

I think the AFD era Guns could easily sell out arenas here in the States and NuGuns already sells well over seas so to me it is a no barainer the real Guns would have no issue selling out a tour....

I'll agree to disagree. Guns isn't, never was, and never will be The Stones. Not too many people outside of these forums care one way or the other. I would be majorly surprised if they did much better than they are doing now.

Babooshka

Babooshka

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • 29-June 12

Just Axl and Slash? No. The original 5? That would generate a buzz. Still, hard to predict if that buzz would take off enough to fill stadiums. A 'some kind of monster' promo would do it, to explain their journey and show the original members have brought back the GN'R spirit as well as themselves. I don't think they'd need a new album, although would be awesome.

:rofl-lol: This would be amazing. Axl and Slash in therapy, I would pre-order the dvd, but I doubt Axl would ever agree to that kind of exposure.

TheDemocracyRose

TheDemocracyRose

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • 30-March 05
Axl and Slash would go to the same league as U2, Coldplay, Springsteen and The Stones.

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 7,147 posts
  • 06-February 10

I'll agree to disagree. Guns isn't, never was, and never will be The Stones. Not too many people outside of these forums care one way or the other. I would be majorly surprised if they did much better than they are doing now.

I don't think they could sell out Stadiums here, as there are only a hand full of artists who can do this, but I think they would easily sell out single nights in arenas in a reunion tour as long as tickets were not too expensive just on the curiosity factor aone for casual fans....

I know a fair amount of music fans who either don't know about or could care less about NuGuns but would definitely go see the AFD era Guns if they toured. I would be surprised if this is not the case here in the U.S. in general......

But I also think it would be a one shot deal and they could not sustain this for mutliple tours unless they made new music together which had some hits...

Edited by classicrawker, 13 December 2012 - 02:53 PM.

IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• Supporters
  • 8,490 posts
  • 13-February 06

I don't think they could sell out Stadiums here, as there are only a hand full of artists who can do this, but I think they would easily sell out single nights in arenas in a reunion tour as long as tickets were not too expensive just on the curiosity factor aone for casual fans....

I know a fair amount of music fans who either don't know about or could care less about NuGuns but would definitely go see the AFD era Guns if they toured. I would be surprised if this is not the case here in the U.S. in general......

But I also think it would be a one shot deal and they could not sustain this for mutliple tours unless they made new music together which had some hits...

Maybe we'll find out someday. :shrugs:

Bruno P.

Bruno P.

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • 10-October 07
They already do stadium shows in South America. :)
They dont have the biggest fanbase. Most kids dont know Guns.

Edited by Bruno Poeys, 14 December 2012 - 12:27 AM.

"When the whole world looks at me they see some other guy
Doesn't matter what I say, they all made up their minds
I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now
But I find the strength to smile somehow"

Snowmass

Snowmass

SUPER GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts
  • 22-October 08

They didn't even completely sell out all of their stadium dates when they toured with Metallica in '92. Metallica opened in Denver at Mile High, and thousands left before Guns even started. You guys can dream about selling out stadiums all you want, but GNR on their own never could do that in the USA, and most likely never will. They could probably sell out stadiums in Brazil, but not anywhere else, even if Slash, Axl, Steven, Duff, Izzy, Jesus Christ and Jimi Hendrix were on stage.

Denver- Axl was playing games (waited hours) between sets. Brazil/South America- I could sell out...LOL
Sail away sweet sister...sail across the sea...maybe you'll find someone who'll love you half as much as me...

DieselDaisy

DieselDaisy

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,795 posts
  • 11-August 12
If a gnr reunion was handled in the same way as Kiss's Reunion 1996/7, it could be the most successful tour in music history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users