The Rolling Stones vs. The Doors

Vincent Vega

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wellll?

You can ONLY go by the Stones' live shows and albums until 1971 to make it fair.

THE ROLLING STONES

The Rolling Stones (England's Newest Hit Makers) (1964)

12 X 5 (1964)

The Rolling Stones, Now! (1965)

Out of Our Heads (1965)

December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965)

Aftermath (1966)****

Between The Buttons (1967)

Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)

Beggar's Banquet (1968)

Let It Bleed (1969)

Sticky Fingers (1971)

THE DOORS

The Doors (1967)

Strange Days (1967)

Waiting for the Sun (1968)

The Soft Parade (1969)

Morrison Hotel (1970)

L.A. Woman (1971)

***= Aftermath is the first album where all the songs were written by the Stones.The previous albums were mostly cover albums with only one or two original songs thrown in.

Edited by Vincent Vega

The Doors were bloody good - I think some of you are underestimating how good they were. Few bands were as original and groundbreaking as The Doors, being that they possessed a classical guitarist and no bass player (Ray would fill the low end in on his organ) alongside a poet singer and jazz drummer. It is very close for me but I still went for The Stones.
  • Like 1

Stones by so much it's not even funny. Oh and why can you only go with their output up until 71? Not their fault that Morrison turned into a fat lush. :shrugs:

Makes it fair that you're considering only the material they put out while both groups co-existed. They were direct competitors in the period from '67 to '71; Some even considered The Doors to be America's equivalent of the Stones at the time. Jim wasn't a fat lush when he died. He died cause his girlfriend Pam was a Heroin junkie and apparently he was a little drunk and snorted her heroin, thinking it was cocaine. He threw up a couple of pan-fulls of blood, felt better, took a bath while Pam nodded out in a Heroin daze. The last thing she remembered was him calling for her help from the bathroom but she was too noddy to do anything.

Jim and Pam, 5 days before Jim died

cb56_1.jpg

last-photos-of-jim-morrison-paris-1971-f.jpg?w=500

1971_saintleu_de3fe66d.jpg

Edited by Vincent Vega

Stones by so much it's not even funny. Oh and why can you only go with their output up until 71? Not their fault that Morrison turned into a fat lush. :shrugs:

Makes it fear you're considering only the material they put out while both groups co-existed. Jim wasn't a fat lush when he died. He died cause his girlfriend Pam was a Heroin junkie and apparently he was a little drunk and snorted her heroin, thinking it was cocaine. He threw up a couple of pan-fulls of blood, felt better, took a bath while Pam nodded out in a Heroin daze. The last thing she remembered was him calling for her help from the bathroom but she was too noddy to do anything.

But that isn't a fair comparison. You compare a band's full body of work or nothing to be fair don't you? I mean that's like comparing the Beatles to Zeppelin but saying you can only judge it on Let it Be and Abbey Road vs Zep 1-3.

Guest Len B'stard

If we're judging whole catalogue for whole catalogue i'd give it to The Doors for the simple reason that, for as long as Jimbo was with em they never made a bad song whereas there's a lot of meh stuff at certain points in The Doors catalogue but overall The Stones have the more...bigger, huger, importanter tracks. I dunno see bad question to ask me cuz i love The Doors and i reckon The Stones are alright too. I dunno, null vote, evens.

The stones win but Jim Morrison easily had the better vocals than the walking dead. If only Morrison had a better band around him he would've easily made better music than the stones. Just give him a blues based guitarist like a Clapton or Beck and he would've created masterpieces.

Actually a really valid point IMO there. It's like Jimbo had all this charisma and this big, booming voice but his band were fucking boring gits. You seen the Doors Classic Albums episode? That fucking keyboardist put me to sleep! Boring twat.