Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vincent Vega

The Rolling Stones vs. The Doors

42 members have voted

1. 1. The Rolling Stones vs. The Doors

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

The stones win but Jim Morrison easily had the better vocals than the walking dead. If only Morrison had a better band around him he would've easily made better music than the stones. Just give him a blues based guitarist like a Clapton or Beck and he would've created masterpieces.

Actually a really valid point IMO there. It's like Jimbo had all this charisma and this big, booming voice but his band were fucking boring gits. You seen the Doors Classic Albums episode? That fucking keyboardist put me to sleep! Boring twat.

The Doors are out of this world.

Fuck that man, The Doors were sick even outside of Jimbos lyrics and charisma, solos like the ones on Light My Fire were fuckin' amazing, songs like Not to Touch The Earth, My Wild Love, Spanish Caravan, these were like totally fuckin' unconventional, The Doors as a band were what drove Morrison to be as good as a performer as he was, he was kinda led by their musical synergy and there ability to build and build and build on a piece of music til he was going flat out nuts, When The Musics Over for example.

I'm only superficially familiar with the Doors but that solo at the end of Light My Fire is atrocious, I can't stand it, it's like nails on a chalkboard.

There is no solo at the end of Light My Fire.

Goes without saying I admire the absolute shit out of both but The Doors has a little more mystery and allure for me, granted Jimbo overdosed so that naturally creates a deeper groove in the history books but that don't hold much water with my musing on the two side by side.

Wait to revive your own forgotten thread, Miser lol

You can see Jim Morrison taking a thing or two from Jagger, but if you see the old footage of Midnight Rambler, you can see Jagger taking from Morrison. I think Jim was good with writing poetry and having it put to music, but the Jagger-Richards songwriting team and the ability to deliver shows were consistent and with The Doors, they were very uneven. The Doors made just enough albums to put them in the all time greats list. One of the greatest debut albums without a doubt.

The Doors tried more things than the Stones but I still have to go with Mick and the boys

The Doors, purely because the Stones are ruined for me as a band because I don't "get" Mick Jagger. Jim comes off as pretentious sometimes, but he carried that band. Nobody in either the Stones or in his own band has got jackshit on him (only Keith comes close as a defining Rn'R legend). Certainly one of the most iconic singers and Jagger ain't got shit on him as a frontman.

Rolling Stones all day, everyday

I looked it up, it's the main synth solo of the song and it gets reprised for a few seconds at the end. I really don't like that 60s synth sound (a big part of why I generally dislike 60s prog rock is because they used it a lot).

I get what you mean there and I'm sorry to nitpick but that's not a synth on Light My Fire, Manzarek played a Vox Continental Combo Organ.

Null vote for me, two of my favorites, but if I had to pick one to listen to for the rest of my life on a desert island or something, I'd probably pick the Doors by a slim margin. I've always been fascinated by Jim.

I looked it up, it's the main synth solo of the song and it gets reprised for a few seconds at the end. I really don't like that 60s synth sound (a big part of why I generally dislike 60s prog rock is because they used it a lot).

No its not, there's a four second synth lead in at the beginning of the song that it repeats at the end, the main synth solo is nothing like those.

The Doors have 6/6 great albums whereas The Stones have about 6/30 great albums. I would still probably plummet for The Stones but there is nothing much between them.

It's close but I'll take The Stones. I'd probably take Jim over Mick though.