Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pre-9/11 America

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
Anyone else here remember how generally laid back things felt here in America prior to 9/11? I can't explain it clearly, but sort of a laid back, nothing to fear, proud of ourselves attitude. It was the first decade since the 1920s where America knew prosperity and peace both at home and abroad. It was the first time since 1941 where we weren't involved in any major conflicts--hot or cold.

And it was the first decade ever where the US was pretty much the sole dominating superpower in the world, there was no consistent threat of any real wars breaking out and with the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, it was the first time since the end of WWII where a nuclear holocaust didn't seem like it could come at any time.

It just seems like the ten years between the Fall of the USSR (1991) and 9/11 (2001) was the 'American Decade' in a sense. Where the nation's biggest concern and most dire issue was whether or not the President lied about receiving oral sex and whether he should be in trouble for it or not. It was the longest sustained period of a booming economy, which helped. And we weren't as hated in other countries as we were post the second Iraq War. There was no counter culture dividing the country as there had been in the '60s; No stagflation or scandals on the scale of Watergate dragging the nation's morale down as in the '70s; No major recession or Arms Race are there had been in the '80s. Just seems like a very peaceful, prosperous time for America.

Politics was in gridlock but things were so good economically and there was no major conflicts; Things kept flowing along quietly that I really doubt Joe Public gave a damn if there was Gridlock in Washington.

Does anyone remember that sort of carefree, no fear, proud (but not hyper nationalistic) sort of mindset that colored the '91-'01 era in America? Do you think once this recession ends and the economy begins booming again, we can finally let the scars of 9/11 heal completely?

I have a lot of vivid, very clear memories from the period 1994-2000, and I remember it just seeming a lot more laid back, and that wasn't just the bliss of childhood at work.

Edited by Vincent Vega, 14 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

arnold layne

arnold layne

hooray for tolerance!.

• SILVER
  • 14,043 posts
  • 17-November 06
I wish I could go back to third grade. My biggest fears were whether I could divide nine by three.

I don't like games and fun

I don't like anyone

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• SILVER
  • 17,209 posts
  • 25-November 02
I was in New York in 2000 and got robbed. 11 years later and it was rather more relaxed for me. :lol:

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER
  • 6,790 posts
  • 21-September 05
Not in any conflict from 91-01?

Bosnia? Bombings of Iraq in the late 90s?

The fuck are you on about?

vvZ4ihN.png

phaeryen

phaeryen

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts
  • 05-May 07
Vincent Vega has a point, I suggest you americans take notice and hide this piece of truth somewhere.

because vincent vega, he just sees too clearly. he sees too clearly and remembers too much for his own good.

before long, we will sadly see him disappear, never to be heard of again.

truth is dangerous oftentimes, thought crime is tragic.

the land of the free. the land of the free.

god bless america.
FUCK GNR. -Ron Thal, September 13th, 2012.

GUNSNROSES513

GUNSNROSES513

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts
  • 16-May 07
It did change things. We may of won the battle, but Osama and his buddies won the war. He really did a number to us. We aren't the same America.
'CAUSE MY BABY'S GOT A LOCOMOTIVE, MY BABY'S GONE OFF THE TRACK.

Guest_Len B'stard_*

Guest_Len B'stard_*
  • Guests
  • --
Oh leave off, Osama and his buddies didn't make you like this, you was always a bunch of paranoid cunts. I suppose Osama was behind all the paranoia behind all the red scares and all that fuckin' shit back in the day surrounding Communism? It's easy to forget how huge that was. Just have some fuckin' bottle and stop shittin' yourselves, thats the remedy, plain and simple.

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER
  • 6,790 posts
  • 21-September 05

Oh leave off, Osama and his buddies didn't make you like this, you was always a bunch of paranoid cunts. I suppose Osama was behind all the paranoia behind all the red scares and all that fuckin' shit back in the day surrounding Communism? It's easy to forget how huge that was. Just have some fuckin' bottle and stop shittin' yourselves, thats the remedy, plain and simple.

Didn't you know Bin Laden and McCarthy were buddies?

vvZ4ihN.png

Guest_Len B'stard_*

Guest_Len B'stard_*
  • Guests
  • --

Didn't you know Bin Laden and McCarthy were buddies?

Yeah, i hear they held cockfights together :lol:

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER
  • 6,790 posts
  • 21-September 05
The kind you and Dazey have? :lol: I kid, I kid.

vvZ4ihN.png

Guest_Len B'stard_*

Guest_Len B'stard_*
  • Guests
  • --

The kind you and Dazey have? :lol: I kid, I kid.

Yes, the very same, same colour scheme too actually :lol:

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

• SILVER
  • 12,376 posts
  • 22-November 08
Miser we're you like 12/13 in 2001? Maybe the reason you think things were more laid back then is because you were a fucking child? Wait what am I saying, you probably acted more mature back then.

6lfBCJD.jpg

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER
  • 6,790 posts
  • 21-September 05

Miser we're you like 12/13 in 2001? Maybe the reason you think things were more laid back then is because you were a fucking child? Wait what am I saying, you probably acted more mature back then.

According to his profile, he would have been 10 on 9/11.

vvZ4ihN.png

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

• SILVER
  • 12,376 posts
  • 22-November 08

According to his profile, he would have been 10 on 9/11.

Point proven.

Edited by Tottenham Hotspur, 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM.

6lfBCJD.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users