Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Best Modern US President?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Modern US President? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Who was the best President, 1933-1993 (New Deal-Cold War Era)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Who has been the best Post Cold War/Millennial Era President (2000-present)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

ADPT

ADPT

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,599 posts
  • 05-May 07

Anyone who knows anything about American politics has to list FDR as the greatest American president of the 21st century (how anyone chose Richard Nixon is beyond me; research Watergate and then get back to us). FDR is easily in the top three of Presidents, somewhere with Washington and Lincoln. Nobody has had to deal with what FDR did during his Presidency (Depression, WW2). He is considered the greatest foreign policy president of all time by most historians (I'd sources this but I'm too lazy too, but take my word as an American studies and political scientist major).

Reagan should have been impeached over the Iran/Contra affair (directly violated the will of Congress). Plus he is the godfather of trickle-down economics that created and exacerbated the massive income inequality that now dominates the U.S. He was a pretty good foreign policy president (aside from the Iran/Contra scandal), but that's pretty much it. His only meaningful and righteous policy agenda was the 1986 Tax Reform Act. There's a much better argument for Eisenhower than Reagan if you want to give it to a Republican.

As for post Cold War presidents, right now have to give it to Clinton, but we'll see how Obama handles his second term (he's definitely in the running). Anyone voting for George W. Bush is either an inept ideologue or had their head up their ass for the past twelve years. The guy is up there with Hoover with being one of the worst presidents of the past 120 years.

The reason I went for Nixon is because well, I think I just like being perverse..

Actually, I don't think he was quite the devil in human form he's remembered as, although his career ended in utter disgrace, so I say Nixon just to generate some kind of debate. I do the same thing with Tony Blair sometimes.

Edited by ADPT, 14 December 2012 - 05:11 PM.

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
Here's the thing: If you vote for Nixon, why not vote for Johnson? Johnson was basically Nixon with a much more impressive domestic record, no resignation or major scandals, a more colorful personality and less paranoia/

Edited by Vincent Vega, 14 December 2012 - 05:10 PM.

-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

ADPT

ADPT

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,599 posts
  • 05-May 07

Here's the thing: If you vote for Nixon, why not vote for Johnson? Johnson was basically Nixon with a much more impressive domestic record, no resignation or major scandals, a more colorful personality and less paranoia/

I did at first, then backtracked. I think I just find Nixon strangely fascinating. It's a recent thing for me. I expect Downzy will turn up soon and tear me to pieces though.

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
I really don't understand all the people voting for Reagan. It's not like he led the world through the Great Depression and WWII and whatnot.
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

• Supporters
  • 12,376 posts
  • 22-November 08

I really don't understand all the people voting for Reagan. It's not like he led the world through the Great Depression and WWII and whatnot.

Did a great deal to help end the Cold War, reducing nuclear arms and improving relations with the USSR after tense years and having a good relationship with Gorbachev. One thing I will say is that these threads usually turn into a popularity contest and people vote for the President's they like the best rather than voting based on policy.

6lfBCJD.jpg

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• Supporters
  • 6,494 posts
  • 21-September 05

Posted Image

vvZ4ihN.png

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

Did a great deal to help end the Cold War, reducing nuclear arms and improving relations with the USSR after tense years and having a good relationship with Gorbachev. One thing I will say is that these threads usually turn into a popularity contest and people vote for the President's they like the best rather than voting based on policy.

The USSR was already crumbling from within when Reagan became President.

Rustycage

Rustycage

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • 23-March 04

Anyone who knows anything about American politics has to list FDR as the greatest American president of the 21st century (how anyone chose Richard Nixon is beyond me; research Watergate and then get back to us). FDR is easily in the top three of Presidents, somewhere with Washington and Lincoln. Nobody has had to deal with what FDR did during his Presidency (Depression, WW2). He is considered the greatest foreign policy president of all time by most historians (I'd sources this but I'm too lazy too, but take my word as an American studies and political scientist major).

Reagan should have been impeached over the Iran/Contra affair (directly violated the will of Congress). Plus is the godfather of trickle-down economics that created and excacerbated the massive income inequality that now dominates the U.S. He was a pretty good foreign policy president (aside from the Iran/Contra scandal), but that's pretty much it. His only meaningful and righteous policy agenda was the 1986 Tax Reform Act. There's a much better argument for Eisenhower than Reagan.

As for post Cold War presidents, right now have to give it to Clinton, but we'll see how Obama handles his second term (he's definitely in the running). Anyone voting for George W. Bush is either an inept ideologue or had their head up their ass for the past twelve years. The guy is up there with Hoover with being one of the worst presidents of the past 120 years.

Obama is far worse than Bush.

Fox News regurgitation?

*Locked*

3325a15.gif

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

• Supporters
  • 12,376 posts
  • 22-November 08

The USSR was already crumbling from within when Reagan became President.

So? Before Reagan was President tensions were very high with the USSR, yes they had problems from within but Reagan's policies in his second term facilitated better relations between the two super powers which included agreements to reduce Nuclear arms. Quite a bit of the historiography regarding Reagan's second term in the context of the Cold War makes a big deal out of the fact that without his good relations with Gorbachev and their work to reduce nuclear arms there is a good chance the USSR would have crumbled sooner which would have been problematic due to the tensions and acceleration of nuclear arms which were occuring at the time. Reagan's diplomatic approach allowed the USSR's economy to somewhat stabilize while reducing nuclear arms and challenging Gorbachev to improve relations to the West, something that would have been impossible had it not been for Reagan which changed policy tracks despite it going against his own personal prejudices. Without Reagan there is no INF Treaty and no START I which are somewhat forgotten despite being very significant in the context of the time.

Yeah it kind of helps I had to do a 4000 word essay on Reagan's impact on the Cold War during his second term last year so I have a pretty pro-Reagan stance on the whole thing :lol:

6lfBCJD.jpg

downzy

downzy

SUPER GOD

• Supporters
  • 3,553 posts
  • 18-February 06

Most of the "get tough" policies directed to the USSR were merely continuations of those started by President Carter in the last year of his administration. The military build-up that people like to credit Reagan for was actually at the behest of Zbigniew Brzezinksi, Carter's National Security Adviser.

As for bringing down the USSR, well, that's pretty debatable. Many, including Gorbachev, argue that what happened in Afghanistan and Chernobyl had more to do with bringing down the USSR than anything America did under Reagan. But considering how badly bungled the Granada invasion was, how much Reagan actively fostered income inequality, and how often he gave the middle finger to Congress over the Iran/Contra situation, he's not someone I would put high on the list of great presidents. I personally think George. H.G. Bush, who actually presided over the dissolution of the USSR, was a better President than Reagan (and in some ways better than Clinton). The man was for a cap-and-trade policy to fight global warming (back when Republicans still believed in it); passed the Americans with Disability Act, did something about Acid Rain, was a strong advocate for humanitarian intervention (for the right reasons), didn't fully invade Iraq, and raised taxes when it was necessary (and called out supply side economics as "Voodoo math"), I think he did a pretty good job. It's just that as a result of being a one-term President he gets no respect.

Edited by downzy, 14 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10

reagan
clinton

We often disagree on our politics but in this we agree..I was not a huge fan of Reagan but he did a nice job pulling us out of the recession.......

Edited by classicrawker, 14 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

Georgy Zhukov

Georgy Zhukov

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 15,858 posts
  • 13-August 11
Obama if he passed some mental health legislation.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• Supporters
  • 15,644 posts
  • 10-May 08
Based on my limited knowledge, Clinton and Reagan.

dQOAHSG.png

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*
  • Guests
  • --
Clinton. I had to vote in the other too, but I don't know much about any of them. Picked Kennedy for no reason really, other than that I had to take something.

Rustycage

Rustycage

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • 23-March 04
FDR is the only president to truly tackle the issue of building a strong and prosperous middle class.

Clinton tried in small ways to reverse the implementation of trickle down economics that has absolutely no proof to show that it works.

*Locked*

3325a15.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users