Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gun Law Debate

Your thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
349 replies to this topic

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,445 posts
  • 14-February 10

Too many people think their John Wayne when they hold a gun. There's no chance of changing their minds with legislation. You can't fix stupid.

If they thought they were John Wayne there wouldn't be a problem, he never shot no one that weren't threatening him and he never shot no one in the back or women and children, if people with guns thought they were John Wayne the only thing remotely of note about it would be watching them walk around like they've had their underpants kicked up their arse :lol:

Also, his name was Marion and as we all know, no one named Marion can ever truly be dangerous. Except Suge Knight and Mrs Cunningham out of Happy Days.

Edited by sugaraylen, 14 December 2012 - 06:41 PM.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

Fearless N***** get slapped in Manhattan

For rappin'

Big Ghost steps off laughin'

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 11,403 posts
  • 02-December 04

This will bring up the same issue as the movie theater shit. Gasoline and a lighter are readily available, as are household chemicals that can be explosive. Crazy people kill others, inanimate objects cannot kill people on their own.

Those take time, effort, etc. A gun takes one second. Look at the guy in China, for example. He was mentally unstable and he used a knife.

Yeah but the point is it can still be done. I think the hardest part of murdering a fuckload of people is deciding you wanna murder a fuckload of people. When you've got that far in your head i think the trouble it takes to go get some petrol and a lighter ain't really much trouble at all.

I mean, it's by definition an extreme action or reaction, when you've reached that point, nothings too much of a stretch.

Chances are, there will be more harm done with a gun than without one, period.

I dunno, i think an arsonist that sets fire to a block of flats at 2am could do a fair bit of damage too. Or a homemade bomb on a train. And hey, if those thick fuckin' terrorists can put em together using fuckin' nails and perfume then i bet your average nutter could pull it off.

How often do you hear of an arsonist killing 20 children? Never. Most bomb attempts fail. You need to have intelligence, knowledge, avoid security checks, etc. Much, much harder than just buying a gun and going on a rampage.

You cannot walk into a gun store "show them your ID, fill out a few forms and walk out with a heavy duty automatic gun of your choice." That is patently and blatantly false.

Actually, in most states you can.

Yeah, they make you wait 2 weeks innit? :lol: To see if you'll get bored of the whole massacre idea, the average American attention span being a 5 minutes that should be ample time.

No, most states do not have a waiting period anymore.

No, you cannot. An "automatic gun" requires a federal ATF Title II permit.

Wrong. A FULLY automatic gun requires that.

Kasanova King

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,445 posts
  • 14-February 10

How often do you hear of an arsonist killing 20 children? Never. Most bomb attempts fail. You need to have intelligence, knowledge, avoid security checks, etc. Much, much harder than just buying a gun and going on a rampage.

Not often but i don't often hear of a lot of things that happen. And what security check do i need to avoid to go now, in my car over to a hardware store and an all night chemists and then a supermarket to buy the tools necessary to put together a bomb and stick it in the block of flats behind ASDA?

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

PappyTron

PappyTron

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,938 posts
  • 16-May 07
KK - you seem to be conflating two pieces of information here:

Semi-Auto = what you said
Auto (and a lot of other things) = what I said

The problem being, that in your opening post you said "show them your ID, fill out a few forms and walk out with a heavy duty automatic gun of your choice" which is both erroneous and egregious. Any of the guns that you can walk out with are not "heavy duty automatic/s" and there is a MASSIVE difference.

"I actually had one cute hat, and it blew off at the CVS parking lot. And this whole car full of black kids ran over it, for no reason. AND THEY SAW IT! THEY SAW IT!"

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

Tater Totts

• Supporters
  • 11,826 posts
  • 22-November 08

Not often but i don't often hear of a lot of things that happen. And what security check do i need to avoid to go now, in my car over to a hardware store and an all night chemists and then a supermarket to buy the tools necessary to put together a bomb and stick it in the block of flats behind ASDA?

Sake of convenience, why do that when you can just go buy a gun? I would therefore imagine if gun control was tighter there would be more bombings and arsons.

6lfBCJD.jpg

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,445 posts
  • 14-February 10
Did i ever tell you how incredibly sexy you are when you're making a point Pappy? It's exciting and yet disconcerting in the way watching 6 foot 3, 14 stones Frank Bruno dressed as the widow twankie in a Panto is :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen, 14 December 2012 - 06:46 PM.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 11,403 posts
  • 02-December 04

The problem being, that in your opening post you said "show them your ID, fill out a few forms and walk out with a heavy duty automatic gun of your choice" which is both erroneous and egregious. Any of the guns that you can walk out with are not "heavy duty automatic/s" and there is a MASSIVE difference.

No, not at all. Considering gun manufacturers themselves call their own guns "automatic" even if they are "semi" automatic, as you say, shows my statement to be accurate. On another note, there are several "semi" automatic guns that can be fired just as fast and with more accuracy than some "fully" automatic guns.

Kasanova King

Rustycage

Rustycage

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,666 posts
  • 23-March 04

Too many people think their John Wayne when they hold a gun. There's no chance of changing their minds with legislation. You can't fix stupid.

If they thought they were John Wayne there wouldn't be a problem, he never shot no one that weren't threatening him and he never shot no one in the back or women and children, if people with guns thought they were John Wayne the only thing remotely of note about it would be watching them walk around like they've had their underpants kicked up their arse :lol:

Also, his name was Marion and as we all know, no one named Marion can ever truly be dangerous. Except Suge Knight and Mrs Cunningham out of Happy Days.

My point is about a bigger problem. There are people who feel like they are (insert action star's name here) when they have a gun. John Wayne, Billy the Kid, John McClain, Rambo or whoever. It's not only a gun control issue or a mental health issue, it's a culture issue. What happened today is truly sad and impossible to understand and for a lot of people, in some sick but unintentional way, it's entertainment. This country is one of the main countries that jerk off to violence(so to speak).

Now the issue will shift to the typical left vs right talking points and slippery slope bullshit arguments that's leaves more innocent victims' deaths resulting in nothing.

*Locked*

3325a15.gif

downzy

downzy

SUPER GOD

• Supporters
  • 3,081 posts
  • 18-February 06

This will bring up the same issue as the movie theater shit. Gasoline and a lighter are readily available, as are household chemicals that can be explosive. Crazy people kill others, inanimate objects cannot kill people on their own.

Those take time, effort, etc. A gun takes one second. Look at the guy in China, for example. He was mentally unstable and he used a knife.

Yeah but the point is it can still be done. I think the hardest part of murdering a fuckload of people is deciding you wanna murder a fuckload of people. When you've got that far in your head i think the trouble it takes to go get some petrol and a lighter ain't really much trouble at all.

I mean, it's by definition an extreme action or reaction, when you've reached that point, nothings too much of a stretch.

I dunno, i think an arsonist that sets fire to a block of flats at 2am could do a fair bit of damage too. Or a homemade bomb on a train. And hey, if those thick fuckin' terrorists can put em together using fuckin' nails and perfume then i bet your average nutter could pull it off.

But you need to consider the type of individual. Some people are cold, malicious, and evil and nothing society can do will prevent them from causing mayhem and destruction. People like Timothy McVeigh and Osama bin Laden following a destructive agenda because it suits their political purposes. Gun legislation will do nothing to quell these types of people.

But what about the people who snap, who just lose it? Do you think those people are in the mood to sit and plan out how to maximize their killing spree? By having limited restrictions on gun ownership, society enables and provides further capacity to individuals who snap to cause harm. Do you think the guy in China sat around and thought about how he could kill the most amount of people? Something tells me that had he easy access to a semi-automatic weapon as opposed to a knife he would have taken the gun.

Gun regulations won't eliminate or curb all forms of intent. The truly evil will always find their means, but that's not who gun regulations speak to. The loss of some archaic right seems silly when you consider the lives possibly saved as a result of sensible gun regulation. This wooden treatment of the constitution and second amendment rights is asinine when you consider the technology possessed then and what is capable nowadays.

Edited by downzy, 14 December 2012 - 06:53 PM.

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,445 posts
  • 14-February 10

My point is about a bigger problem. There are people who feel like they are (insert action star's name here) when they have a gun. John Wayne, Billy the Kid, John McClain, Rambo or whoever. It's not only a gun control issue or a mental health issue, it's a culture issue. What happened today is truly sad and impossible to understand and for a lot of people, in some sick but unintentional way, it's entertainment. This country is one of the main countries that jerk off to violence(so to speak).

Now the issue will shift to the typical left vs right talking points and slippery slope bullshit arguments that's leaves more innocent victims' deaths resulting in nothing.

It's all tragic and awful and everything, don't get me wrong but like...we have a tendency to just like...debating everytime something mental happens, not that we shouldn't, debate is healthy but does anything really need to be changed? Are we really ever gonna change the fact that there are nutters on this earth? Or the fact that human greed causes a great deal of the problems, whether thats governments keeping guns legal for greedy motives? Or, y'know, whatever, it's a tragedy, it's a sick and crazy thing but at the same time, welcome to the real world y'know? Kids die all over the fuckin' place, it's an awful thing but the shit ain't about to stop anytime soon, no matter what we ban.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

Kill Devil Hill

Kill Devil Hill

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • 14-July 11
Honestly, I don't care about this debate much (inb4 "SO Y R U POSTING") because humans are a lot scarier than guns. And if guns didn't exist, they'd find another way. :shrugs:

In regards to Slash, I read a desperate fan's message about, what if one of us were to die and looking back I had the possibility of a reunion now, blah blah blah. And my thoughts are, "Yeah, and while you're at the show your baby accidentally kicks a candle and burns your house down, killing himself and the rest of your family."

PappyTron

PappyTron

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,938 posts
  • 16-May 07

No, not at all. Considering gun manufacturers themselves call their own guns "automatic" even if they are "semi" automatic, as you say, shows my statement to be accurate. On another note, there are several "semi" automatic guns that can be fired just as fast and with more accuracy than some "fully" automatic guns.

Just because somebody calls something by a name which is incorrect doesn't mean that we should all do so, or do you just like to fall in line with current trends? We should be especially accurate in our naming and phraseology when we are attempting to create a discussion on various merits, pros and cons. Unless, of course, we deliberately use the most emotive phrasing that we can muster in an underhanded attempt to rabble rouse.; however, I do think that that ploy would be beneath a man of your moral character.

"I actually had one cute hat, and it blew off at the CVS parking lot. And this whole car full of black kids ran over it, for no reason. AND THEY SAW IT! THEY SAW IT!"

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,445 posts
  • 14-February 10

But you need to consider the type of individual. Some people are cold, malicious, and evil and nothing society can do will prevent them from causing mayhem and destruction. People like Timothy McVeigh and Osama bin Laden following a destructive agenda because it suits their political purposes. Gun legislation will do nothing to quell these types of people.

But what about the people who snap, who just lose it? Do you think those people are in the mood to sit and plan out how to maximize their killing spree? By having limited restrictions on gun ownership, society enables and provides further capacity to individuals who snap to cause harm. Do you think the guy in China sat around and thought about how he could kill the most amount of people? Something tells me that had he easy access to a semi-automatic weapon as opposed to a knife he would have taken the gun.

Gun regulations won't eliminate or curb all forms of intent. The truly evil will always find their means, but that's not who gun regulations speak to. The loss of some archaic right seems silly when you consider the lives possibly saved as a result of sensible gun regulation. This wooden treatment of the constitution and second amendment rights is asinine when you consider the technology possessed then and what is capable nowadays.

It doesn't take that much thinking, i thought of the burning a block of flats at 2am thing pretty fuckin' off the cuff. Shit, i even had a block of flats in mind.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

tat2d1

tat2d1

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts
  • 16-October 02
Fuck gun control, what we need is idiot control! Once a government unarms it's citizens , it's not a good thing. How do you think it was so easy for the Nazis??
Check out Pythons By Design on Facebook

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,445 posts
  • 14-February 10

Fuck gun control, what we need is idiot control! Once a government unarms it's citizens , it's not a good thing. How do you think it was so easy for the Nazis??

How what was so easy for the Nazi's, taking over Germany? Are you suggesting that someone put a gun to Hindenburgs head and made him appoint Hitler Chancellor? :lol:

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

For rappin'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users