Films people hate which you love?

Vincent Vega

What are some films people consider 'bad' that you love?

For me:

1) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My feelings on the movie went back and forth for years but I've come to really really love it. B+

2) The Mummy Returns. While not nearly as good as the first film, it's a fun, mindless ride. The third film was HORRIBLE, though.

3) The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Most consider it an inferior sequel to Jurassic Park. It is, it doesn't have the "wow" factor or grandeur or awe inspiring quality of the original, but it's a really cool adventure film, and I think it works if you just look at it as nothing more than just a fun adventure film.

4) Batman (1966)--A film so purposely horrible that it wraps back around to being good.

5) Kazaam - A film that is objectively in all ways bad, but which was a film I grew up with. It's a guilty pleasure. A really guilty pleasure. Nostalgia saves it for me.

6) Batman Forever. Batman & Robin was HORRIBLE and was one of the worst films ever, but Batman Forever, while not as good as the Burton films, is fun. Maybe I'm blinded by childhood nostalgia on this one but I always enjoyed Jim Carrey as The Riddler and Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face a lot.

7) Michael Bay films, particularly Armageddon. I always enjoyed Armageddon a lot as a mindless sort of summer film.

8) The 13th Warrior. I remember seeing that one in theaters, it was really good.

9) Diamonds are Forever. It's cheesy but it's nowhere near as bad as Roger Moore's worst moments. I love seeing Connery's Bond in the early '70s for some reason. He doesn't quit fit, but it doesn't feel like a parody either.

10) The Phantom Menace. Yes, it's a horrible Star Wars film, we all know that. It really is. Put it against any of the original SW films and it feels like cheap fan fiction, even compared to Jedi. But divorce it from Star Wars completely--Look at it as just a Sci-Fi film that just happens to have the SW name and it's an average/above average film.

Edited by Vincent Vega

I wouldn't say I love them, but The Lost World and The Phantom Menace are enjoyable. Let's not talk about JP3 or the other two Star Wars prequels though.

Other ones:

King Kong (2005): This movie just seems to get the shit end of the stick. I think it's great. Jackson did a great job capturing the feel of the depression era, and the island scenes are incredibly well done, particularly the bug pit.

Titanic: I'm a bit biased towards this one since it's the first movie I ever saw in the theater. I know it's objectively bad (at least, the first half is), but I still love it and can quote pretty much the entire thing.

Godzilla (1998): This might be another one that I'm biased towards because I saw it as a kid, but I really don't see what's so bad about it. When you take away the fact that it's called Godzilla, it's a solid giant monster movie.

Cloverfield: I fucking love this movie. Best monster movie I've ever seen. Why people hate it is beyond me.

Edited by bacardimayne

On the flipside, there's one series of films which most people seem to love that I used to love, but now I loathe:

Austin Powers. Seriously. What a horrible, wretched, annoying, dismal, lame series. Yes, I get it's a prequel, and yes, it's supposed to be cheesy, but there's something just...retarded...about it. It's OVERLY childish and jokey. It feels like a goddamn episode of Blues Clues sometimes. I mean, it really blows. I love Mike Myers in the Wayne's World films, but he was a one trick poney, and as I've gotten older, I've never understood how Austin Powers was so popular, or even why I liked it.

Edited by Vincent Vega

While I didn't really enjoy any of them, I honestly preferred Transformers II to the first and third installments. The first was ruined by Jon Voight (he's just horrible in this movie) and horrible editing. The third was excruciating (as hard to believe as it was that Shia LeBeouf got wheel Megan Fox, it was far less believeable he'd get a second girl who just as if not hotter than Fox).

At least the second one got a little dark with the Octimus Prime beat down.

Basic Instinct wasn't that bad of a movie, nor was Waterworld.

Also loved Snakes on a Plane, but I'm a sucker for any good intentional b-movie.

There's a lot of movies people hate which I like/love, but these come to mind:

Last Action Hero (it was very ahead of it's time with it's metareferences and whatknot), Mortal Kombat, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, every Rob Zombie film, but Halloweens especially, The Gable Guy, Armageddon, Constantine, Terminator: Salvation, T3, Scream 4 and American Pie: Reunion. I also LOVE War of the Worlds and The Fifth Element, but I don't know do people generally hate them or not.

I definitely agree with The Lost World, Cloverfield, King Kong '05, and Godzilla '98

also:

Road To Perdition: don't know very many people who liked this movie, most thought it was boring and uninteresting, personally I love it

Gran Torino: again, only know a few who enjoyed it as much as I did, maybe I'm biased because it was shot in my old neighborhood

Freddy Got Fingered: fucking hilarious, and among one of the most hated movies ever made but probably still one of my favorite comedies. It's just completely mindless humor

The Mist: just never heard much love if any for this one at all, everyone hates the ending, i love it because it delivers an innocent message in the darkest way possible; don't give up hope. I think the performances are excellent and I love the way the characters change throughout their ordeal, one of the most underrated movies I can think of

Edited by sweetness

There's a lot of movies people hate which I like/love, but these come to mind:

Last Action Hero (it was very ahead of it's time with it's metareferences and whatknot), Mortal Kombat, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, every Rob Zombie film, but Halloweens especially, The Gable Guy, Armageddon, Constantine, Terminator: Salvation, T3, Scream 4 and American Pie: Reunion. I also LOVE War of the Worlds and The Fifth Element, but I don't know do people generally hate them or not.

Damnit, I was going to post the exact same movie. Last Action Hero has huge nostalgia value for me, i've seen it tons and tons of times. Not many people seem to like it, though.

Cable Guy w/ Jim Carrey, too.