Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Is Nicholas Cage the worst big name actor working today?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

PappyTron

PappyTron

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • 16-May 07
Posted Image

:D

"I actually had one cute hat, and it blew off at the CVS parking lot. And this whole car full of black kids ran over it, for no reason. AND THEY SAW IT! THEY SAW IT!"

MEXzilla

MEXzilla

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • 16-May 12
the worst big name actor is Ben Affleck period the guy can be in a good movie (Argo, The Town) and ruin it for me. So yeah Nick Cage is hit or miss but Aflleck is just miss.

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER
  • 6,723 posts
  • 21-September 05

the worst big name actor is Ben Affleck period the guy can be in a good movie (Argo, The Town) and ruin it for me. So yeah Nick Cage is hit or miss but Aflleck is just miss.

Posted Image

vvZ4ihN.png

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• SILVER
  • 9,451 posts
  • 12-July 12

I think you are right. I have seen good films from Nicolas Cage, but Ben Affleck offers nothing at all. Good Will Hunting was a great film, but would have been even better if he wasn't in it. It was as good as it got for him, probably because he had some other really great actors alongside him. Matt Damon has far surpassed him in acting ability and in any ability actually.

luciusfunk

luciusfunk

The Imposter

• SILVER
  • 6,723 posts
  • 21-September 05
Ben Affleck had a few good roles in a few Kevin Smith films. Not starring parts, of course.

vvZ4ihN.png

Desperado

Desperado

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • 14-February 05
maybe but I would say Adam Sandler even if he just makes """"""""""comedy"""""""""" movies.

juhjj8.jpg
Sorry for my bad english.

Angelica

Angelica

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,840 posts
  • 09-June 05
He's one of the great lunatic actors of all time. He spends lavishly and is paying off a massive tax debt, so he has to take anything and everything. And no matter how shit a film is, he makes it worth watching with his patented lunatic charm (and delightful hair pieces). And every now and then, he throws in an Adaptation, lest we all forget how brilliant he can be.

Ben Affleck is a decidedly average actor (no more so than say, George Clooney), but he's damn fine director (much better than say, George Clooney).

Edited by Angelica, 16 December 2012 - 11:54 AM.

citizendick_zpsf312adb4.jpg

A compliment for us, is a compliment for you

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,414 posts
  • 19-December 04
I don't think Sandler is trying to act though, nor is he particularly critically acclaimed. His comedy either appeals to people or it doesn't. I think the Pappy meant more from the perspective that Cage has received acclaim and an academy award yet he's turned in a lot of awful performances over the years.

5206.jpg

Toronto 2006 - Hamilton 2010 & 2011 - Buffalo 2013

Rovim

Rovim

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,727 posts
  • 28-March 04
I thought Leaving Las Vegas was great, and Adaptation was really good. Seems like the potential is there to give a quality performance, but most of his movies are not my cup of tea.

Got my ticket to the rollercoaster of destruction. It's never too late to ride. :o

Tom1447

Tom1447

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • 15-December 08
He was very good in lord of war.

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,295 posts
  • 12-December 08
It's fair to say Affleck's an average actor, and hooking up with J-Lo was career damaging. It would be like hooking up with Kim Kardashian now.

I agree on Sandler, there's a like or dislike, no middle ground.

Cage does movies for art and for the paycheck. I see him as a comic book geek who made good. If he does 10 shitty movies in a row, it prob. lowers his worth, but then he'll do an Oscar worthy performance.

Good Will Hunting - Affleck wasn't really in the movie that much, but when he does his "Southie" accent, it's believable, it prob. would've been one of the Wahlbergs if it wasn't Ben. Mark wasn't being taken seriously as an actor at the time, he was still Marky Mark, Donnie was distancing himself from all things boy band. One of Ben's funniest things was on SNL with Jimmy Fallon, because I knew a LOT of people from Boston like that.

Here's my list of people that I don't think are good actors -

Ashton Kutcher, when he's not playing a stoner.
Megan Fox - TV show girl who lucked out into being in a big budget movie about alien machines. I'm on the fence about Shia, but Megan did that show with Kelly Ripa and there wasn't like anything special about her.
Keanu Reeves - he's a nice guy and all, and "River's Edge" is one of my favorite movies, but he's kind of bland as an actor. Even in "Matrix", he's good for the role he played, an average cubicle worker by day/hacker by night, but people weren't exactly wowed by the acting. Just like Megan - it's all about the effects.
Vin Diesel - thing is, he has talent and made his own films, and should've balanced the action movies out with arthouse movies. Got sucked up into the Hollywood lifestyle and took the big money instead of developing his acting muscles.
The Rock - potential to be good in drama, but another one taking the big money for action flicks.
Chris Rock - one of the best standups, but acting is another story. Thought "Good Hair" was a really good documentary. He's good with social commentary.

There's more, but I'll stop there for now.

Lithium

Lithium

Do you even Lith?

• SILVER
  • 22,891 posts
  • 09-October 05

maybe but I would say Adam Sandler even if he just makes """"""""""comedy"""""""""" movies.

You should check out Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me.

The Linguini Occurrence

The Linguini Occurrence

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 6,810 posts
  • 01-October 11

I don't think it was all his uncle's connections, it was where he grew up and lived, taking classes

Beverly Hills High, attended at the same time as Slash, Lenny Kravitz, Gina Gershon, etc.

Dexter likes this

ErinHeidi_zps257237e3.jpg

Nobodys_Fault

Nobodys_Fault

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts
  • 14-January 07
Cage is spectacular. Sometimes spectacularly awful but that just makes it all the more entertaining.

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• SILVER
  • 15,025 posts
  • 28-January 11
Nic is the definition of sell out.

Posted Image

Goddamn it! Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users