Concert Films

Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

The one with Bob Dylan where he tours England and ends up round Dazeys manor getting heckled (as in generally the case round those parts :lol:) I think it's called Don't Look Back or something.

I saw No direction Home about Dylan's career in the 60s. I think it was made by Scorsese but I'm not sure.

There are three films being discussed here:

Pennebaker's 1967 film Dont Look Back, covering Dylan's '65 tour of Britain

Pennebaker's Eat the Document, covering Dylan's 66 tour (unreleased but widely bootleged)

Scorsese's 2005 film No Direction Home, charting Dylan's career up to the 1966 tour,

Scorsese's film actually included extensive footage from the first two.

Eat the Document, thats it, thats the one with John Lennon in the back of the cab right? That ones fuckin' brilliant :) Renaldo and Clara, the one he made himself is fucking great too, if a little long and hard to suss out :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Yes. They are both off their tits on drugs.

John had it together and you can see he's just being himself, kind of bored and annoyed with "Zimmerman", but Bob was REALLY gone.

Do you suffer from groovy forehead? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Len B'stard

No band on earth live were like The Sex Pistols in their day, Live at Longhorns is the best gig film i've ever seen, the fucking tension there is like...you can feel it just watching it. The Pistols get fuckin' shit slung at the them the whole gig and rather than backing off they just give it even more, from Steve Jones putting on silly Texan cowboy voices to Sid Vicious intelligently stating that cowboys are "fucking hooray for tolerance!s!" and "we're the best band in the whole fuckin' world....oh, cept The Eagles, The Eagles are better than us!" to Rotten just being a horrible snarly brat, deadpanning that "i don't see enough people daaancinggg" and "can you keep throwing money please? Cameras, can we have a couple of cameras?", the whole thing is just brilliant. Sidneys fuckin' bass seems to be something completely unrelated to the rest of the band but Jones and Cookie are solid as fuck, with Jonesy more or less the meat and potatoes of the music end and Rotten was just on fucking fire!

But more than all of that, the notion of like...taking your music where you KNOW it's gonna be attacked, amazingly brave and like, also an interesting thing to do because...we're all taught to be afraid of doing things like that, y'know, the danger of going in this neighbourhood or around such and such type of person and The Sex Pistols were touted at that point as like, literally like...Satan descending upon the youth....turns out it's just 4 lads from London that wanna play music. And the crowd are so fuckin' aggressive, you can see someone trying to yank Steve Jones into the crowd at one point, Sidney getting bottled and attacking someone with his bass. But the idea behind it is the most amazing thing, taking your music to like...places where it ain't been heard or would be most controversial or...y'know, for them to tour New York L.A. etc would've been a bit of a cocksuck, they were primed to be the darlings of all that so they're like, actually, fuck that, we're going to Tulsa :lol: The idea of taking this new and exciting thing on the road to like, introduce people to it makes more sense taking it to like, the badlands if you like. Nothing to be afraid of, i love the spirit behind that, no sense in preaching to the converted and all that.

Apparently there was coppers all lined up around the back of the venue with shooters and Malcolm McLaren was told that if any of the Sex Pistols, get this, raped or attacked anyone onstage they were gonna get shot. Imagine performing under those circumstances, God the air must've been fuckin' crackling that night, i love that idea of taking your thing, your art if you like and confronting people with it, oppositional people or otherwise and just like, presenting yourselves to those that would condemn you and your thing, i love that clash of cultures and clash of ways of thinking because it's outside of that clash that you establish some sort of equilibrium with the rest of the world, put it out there, show people what you are about but with no spoonful of sugar to help the medicine down just like "here we are, here's what we do, like it or lump it", it's brilliant, as a musical performance, as a spectacle, in every sense, thats when music is at it's strongest, at it's best, it's most powerful, when it's possible to be able to do that through music and make people think about their lives and the world around then and, yes, i suppose the future.

And what do you know, by the end of the gig pockets of the crowd were getting into it, it made sense for em, it clicked, had they toured the big massive fuckin' arenas and, y'know, the star map or whatever, they would've tried to turn em into Rod Stewart so instead its 12 days on a fuckin' greyhound bus touring the arse end of America, how brilliant can you get :)

Edited by sugaraylen

AC/DC Live At River Plate gets my vote. The band still sounded great and the Argentinian crowd were really something else.

I couldn't agree more. I've seen that show many times and I can't get tired of it.

Also, Bruce Springsteen Live in Barcelona in 2002. Amazing as always but it's a special concert for me.

No band on earth live were like The Sex Pistols in their day, Live at Longhorns is the best gig film i've ever seen, the fucking tension there is like...you can feel it just watching it. The Pistols get fuckin' shit slung at the them the whole gig and rather than backing off they just give it even more, from Steve Jones putting on silly Texan cowboy voices to Sid Vicious intelligently stating that cowboys are "fucking hooray for tolerance!s!" and "we're the best band in the whole fuckin' world....oh, cept The Eagles, The Eagles are better than us!" to Rotten just being a horrible snarly brat, deadpanning that "i don't see enough people daaancinggg" and "can you keep throwing money please? Cameras, can we have a couple of cameras?", the whole thing is just brilliant. Sidneys fuckin' bass seems to be something completely unrelated to the rest of the band but Jones and Cookie are solid as fuck, with Jonesy more or less the meat and potatoes of the music end and Rotten was just on fucking fire!

But more than all of that, the notion of like...taking your music where you KNOW it's gonna be attacked, amazingly brave and like, also an interesting thing to do because...we're all taught to be afraid of doing things like that, y'know, the danger of going in this neighbourhood or around such and such type of person and The Sex Pistols were touted at that point as like, literally like...Satan descending upon the youth....turns out it's just 4 lads from London that wanna play music. And the crowd are so fuckin' aggressive, you can see someone trying to yank Steve Jones into the crowd at one point, Sidney getting bottled and attacking someone with his bass. But the idea behind it is the most amazing thing, taking your music to like...places where it ain't been heard or would be most controversial or...y'know, for them to tour New York L.A. etc would've been a bit of a cocksuck, they were primed to be the darlings of all that so they're like, actually, fuck that, we're going to Tulsa :lol: The idea of taking this new and exciting thing on the road to like, introduce people to it makes more sense taking it to like, the badlands if you like. Nothing to be afraid of, i love the spirit behind that, no sense in preaching to the converted and all that.

Apparently there was coppers all lined up around the back of the venue with shooters and Malcolm McLaren was told that if any of the Sex Pistols, get this, raped or attacked anyone onstage they were gonna get shot. Imagine performing under those circumstances, God the air must've been fuckin' crackling that night, i love that idea of taking your thing, your art if you like and confronting people with it, oppositional people or otherwise and just like, presenting yourselves to those that would condemn you and your thing, i love that clash of cultures and clash of ways of thinking because it's outside of that clash that you establish some sort of equilibrium with the rest of the world, put it out there, show people what you are about but with no spoonful of sugar to help the medicine down just like "here we are, here's what we do, like it or lump it", it's brilliant, as a musical performance, as a spectacle, in every sense, thats when music is at it's strongest, at it's best, it's most powerful, when it's possible to be able to do that through music and make people think about their lives and the world around then and, yes, i suppose the future.

And what do you know, by the end of the gig pockets of the crowd were getting into it, it made sense for em, it clicked, had they toured the big massive fuckin' arenas and, y'know, the star map or whatever, they would've tried to turn em into Rod Stewart so instead its 12 days on a fuckin' greyhound bus touring the arse end of America, how brilliant can you get :)

I've read the whole post (surprisingly) and now I'm curious about that gig. I'll have to watch it.

Btw, The Eagles are better, yes.

Edited by izzygirl

"Oh look, it's a living circus!" :lol:

Great show. Rotten seemed to particularly enjoy singing the lines: "the problem is you!" and "no fun, you ain't no fun!". The look in his eyes when he sings those lines is priceless. :lol: The animosity between songs is palpable and you can see they are visibly uncomfortable with it. It says a lot though for who they are, the way they persevered through it and in the end won over pretty much the whole front of the crowd. They showed they aren't no fakes.

LOL at the guy in the green shirt who appeared to be the bravest and went against the grain by getting into it way before anyone else did.

Guest Len B'stard

When you think of this in terms of Snoop Dogg walking off stage cuz someone threw and empty bottle of Evian at him or Axl Rose issuing one of his interpreter led health and safety warnings or 50 Cent getting plastic cups thrown at him and refusing to perform, makes me laugh a bit.

It's too bad all the shows weren't videotaped. I could get skipping NY and LA, but didn't see the point of going to San Francisco if they're a progressive city. Detroit or Pittsburgh would've made more sense, should have hit up more blue collar cities. Seattle in the 70s would've made sense.

To me a good concert film is able to capture a great performance by that band. Scorsese and Demme captured a concert performance at a time when the technology was more limited than it is today, the quality now is great, but the "MTV style" filming works against it more than in its favor. You want the band on a big screen to be larger than life and making the people in the theater feel like they're at the show.

That's also why you see very few live concert films with no interviews or backstage stuff.

I have no idea why Tom Waits "Big Time" isn't on DVD. The director had done some screenings a few years back for it and prob.answered that question.

Another one to check out is Laurie Anderson's "Home of the Brave".

And I like "Sign O' The Times", but Prince has a lot of pro shot stuff in the vault that he could put out with each album reissue. The more he winds up with owning the Warner era stuff, the more likely it'll come out. I don't know if the Stones ever filmed opening acts, but I hope so, just to see some of the GNR and Prince footage, Ike and Tina, Van Halen, Stevie Wonder, and a bunch of others.

He could have been so much more if he kept Wendy and Lisa IMO.

No doubt, but I understand how they wanted to advance their careers and have creative control. There's no way they could have done either while staying under Prince's wing. They did do a nice job composing music for Heroes.

He would have been perfect for a movie about Hendrix, what a shame it never happened.

I don't know if the Stones ever filmed opening acts, but I hope so, just to see some of the GNR and Prince footage

I'd give anything to see footage of the October 11, 1981 show when Prince was booed off the LA Coliseum stage as an opening act for the Stones.

Guest Len B'stard

Apparently they're doing the Hendrix movie with whatshisface out of Outkast.

It's too bad all the shows weren't videotaped. I could get skipping NY and LA, but didn't see the point of going to San Francisco if they're a progressive city. Detroit or Pittsburgh would've made more sense, should have hit up more blue collar cities. Seattle in the 70s would've made sense.

I think the idea was to be brief and take it to the more extreme places and make some sort of an impact in that way as opposed to mounting some kind of serious tour. Doing Detroit, Pittsburgh, Seattle would've sort of detracted from the impact and the idea behind ONLY touring the Badlands if you like. I don't think Malcolm was a serious manager in that sense. Even the blue collar cities in a way there's something of the atypical in touring the ones that you mentioned, the idea i think was for maximum effect without exposing the band to THAT much of an audience.

Apparently they're doing the Hendrix movie with whatshisface out of Outkast.

I think the idea was to be brief and take it to the more extreme places and make some sort of an impact in that way as opposed to mounting some kind of serious tour. Doing Detroit, Pittsburgh, Seattle would've sort of detracted from the impact and the idea behind ONLY touring the Badlands if you like. I don't think Malcolm was a serious manager in that sense. Even the blue collar cities in a way there's something of the atypical in touring the ones that you mentioned, the idea i think was for maximum effect without exposing the band to THAT much of an audience.

I never got the impression he was any good at band management. I think you had to be a bit of a shark and a thug at the time like Sharon Osbourne's dad. Not sure about Bernie Rhodes, or any of the other punk rock managers. Just seemed like an incompetent bunch that saw punk rock like it was The Monkees.

On Hendrix - if it doesn't get the blessing from the estate, it kind of screws things up when it comes to putting it out in theaters. I'd like to see them do a film from childhood to 1966, but I think Andre's just doing right around the time Jimi made it big. Andre's already in his late 30s.

Edited by dalsh327

I don't think I posted a list yet, but here goes:

- AC/DC - Live At River Plate

- The Band - The Last Waltz

- The Black Crowes - Cabin Fever

- The Black Crowes - Freak And Roll... Into The Fog

- Joe Bonamassa - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

- Buena Vista Social Club

- Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live From Madison Square Garden

- Flogging Molly - Live At The Greek Theatre

- Leonard Cohen - Live In London

- Dire Straits - Alchemy

- The Dubliners - The Legendary 40 Years Reunion Concert

- Bob Dylan - No Direction Home

- David Gilmour - In Concert

- David Gilmour - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

- B.B. King - In Concert

- Paul McCartney - Good Evening New York City!

- Nirvana - Unplugged In New York

- Oasis - Familiar To Millions

- Roy Orbison - Black And White Night (I mean seriously, WHAT A LINE-UP!)

- Pink Floyd - Pulse

- Queen - Live At Wembley

- Rolling Stones - The Biggest Bang

- Rolling Stones - Shine A Light

- Bruce Springsteen - London Calling

Edited by username