Concert Films

Dazey

They were really, really good at the o2 in my opinion. Nothing could beat Zeppelin from 68-75 live for the most part but I do think Celebration Day trumps a lot of 77-80 performances (a few exceptions) and it KILLS the 85,88, and 95 reunions

Yeah I should clarify that I thought the o2 thing was great.

Not sure if I agree that it was better than Plant and Page though- that was fucking incredible.

They were really, really good at the o2 in my opinion. Nothing could beat Zeppelin from 68-75 live for the most part but I do think Celebration Day trumps a lot of 77-80 performances (a few exceptions) and it KILLS the 85,88, and 95 reunions

I pretty much agree with you. The Physical Graffiti tour 75 and 76 are probably Zeppelin at their best, at least for me. After Presence came along they went down hill, Page was too strung out or something. Some of the shows from 73' were also pretty great also.

I hate bashing on Celebration Day, because it is great for what it is. I would die happy if GNR did the exact same thing, even if it was just one show. But Earl's Court and plenty other 70's shows are MUCH better sounding, the band just had more fire then. Celebration Day feels "safe" to me, like they were just trying to do the songs justice. But some of the old shows were them just plain on fire, taking chances and coming out improving upon the album versions. But Celebration Day does have its moments, Good Times Bad Times and Kashmir are a couple of the highlights.

Edited by Mike420

I wonder if Jimi Hendrix lived, maybe he would NOT have turned out like Prince or Michael Jackson, but perhaps would have gotten heavily into Punk and the whole Punk Rock scene instead?

Who knows? R.I.P Jimi

Edited by Snake-Pit

I wonder if Jimi Hendrix lived, maybe he would NOT have turned out like Prince or Michael Jackson, but perhaps would have gotten heavily into Punk and the whole Punk Rock scene instead?

Who knows? R.I.P Jimi

I don't think he'd do either. Prince or Michael Jackson? He's on another planet to those two wankers, can't even compare em, they're nothing like the same thing, Jimi is the closest that rock n roll got to being really really really fuckin' enduring. In the way Handel is enduring, i seriously think that was the direction he was going in, not classical music as such but more complex stuff. You could see him going in almost a jazz direction. Some of the earliest of the Brit Pack thought that upon first seeing him. I mean can you imagine Jimi with that kinda drum and bass foundation and just left with the liberty to just float in and around the beat with his guitar playing, it'd be fucking beautiful.

But then you hear that he was like, his dream was putting together an 8 piece RnB combo. I dunno bout anyone else but thats my preferred situation for him. No matter what anyone says he was a black man first last and always and that was his kinda scene and music. His aspirations in that sense don't appear to have changed from his beginning playing guitar, although he was bound to take it to some wild places.

As for punk, fuck me, can you imagine Jimi playing like, 3 barre chords in downstrokes over a track, there was way too much going on in that boys head for that to happen, the guy was a monster, look what he did to fuckin' Killing Floor, he put it on steroids and coke, tied it to a rocket and sent it to another stratosphere. I didn't think it was possible to update the blues and really do something worthwhile with it...boy was i fuckin' wrong, what is he playing that in, triple time? That sounds not the easiest thing to play as is and Jimi just blew it out of the water. The loose ease that he played simple stuff with was just phenomenal, he tears through Johnny B Goode like he wrote it himself, it's fantastic.

Nah, i can't see him being into Punk somehow :lol: I could see him actually *gulp* going in a Prog Rock direction, which is Len-ville is fucking anathema but it occurs to me that post punk and prog have that experimentation in common, i don't think Prog was a bad idea as such, just the wrong people were doing it....and quite frankly loads of those wankers (mis)took cues from ol' Jimi James anyway.

Dies' was saying it the other day and it kinda hit come to me that, yeah, he was literally only about 3 years, released 3 albums, blew everyone and their mother out of the water...and then he was gone.

I don't think there's a chance in hell he would've ended up like Prince and Jacko though, not a fuckin' chance. The very thought sickens me, those guys were so up their own arse and Jimi was like...fuck me, Dick Cavett calls him the best guitarist in the world on his show and Jimi looks positively embarassed, giving a quip like 'how about the best guitarist sitting in this chair?' and it's like, fuckin' hell Jim, if that was me I'd have it tattooed on my fuckin' face :lol:

If I was Jimi I'd just go down and get on contract over at Motown and play on all those wonderful songs that had such space in them for him to just go wild and do his thing. Or maybe have them build a band around him, i dunno. People can't pull that shit off anymore without sounding super clean and like...just kinda soft. Especially cuz they seem to always save it for that fuckin' big stage which just makes it sound soooo...un-tight?

The Chitlin Circuit was wonderful like that, tons and tons and tons of really tight groups that were really sharp and really swung and were just really grimey too.

Edited by Lennie Godber