Your favorite Bob Dylan albums

GivenToFly

I decided recently to give a chance to Dylan albums that I had never listened to (the Christian trilogy) or just heard once or twice years ago and dismissed them (country albums).

I know there are many who like John Wesley Harding and Nashville Skyline but personally i thought they were crap. And he does this almost parody-like country voice that just sounds off. By contrast I quite liked Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. It makes sense though, being 13 years removed from the other two. Out of the six it's the only that stuck with me.

The religious albums are predictably bad overall but they were improving. The first one (Slow Train Coming) is downright awful, the second gets better and actually has some pretty good moments, and the third one (Shot of Love) is passable.

While I'm in this thread: is it just me or is his harmonica work on the early albums terrible? I always find it a chore to get through those solos and when i hear them on headphones I feel like my eardrum is being pierced.

He does a parody of a country voice on John Wesley Harding, really?

Parody-like, as in emulating a style but quite badly. And I can't remember which is which but it sounded most obvious to me on the one that has Girl From the North Country (with Cash) on it. It's that old timey pre-1950 country ballad vocal style. I don't know if it's got a name or anything.

I like drinking rum to Together Through Life.

I got this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Infidels-Mercy-Time-Out-Mind/dp/B000V9PWPI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1411212613&sr=8-6&keywords=dylan+infidels

and Shot of Love. Basically just more Dylan albums.

But where to start?

Blood on the Tracks is the greatest because of Tangled Up in Blue, Highway 61 Revisited, Clone on Blonde (Positively 4th Street was a song Axl wrote in a past life)

I had a copy of the Basement Tapes bootlegs so most of it's familiar, but Garth Hudson had acquired tapes no one's heard. The book's also going to be good. I'll probably wind up getting the 2 CD version.

The Rolling Stone article I read (I won't be surprised if RS gives the album a lot of attention) also mentioned T-Bone Burnett had put together an album of handwritten Dylan lyrics from that era he put music to with guest singers.

It also mentioned the next planned Bootleg is going to have to do with Blood on the Tracks.

There were quite a few good songs during his Christian phase. Heart of Mine and Every Grain of Sand stand out.

I loved John Wesley Harding. That was the first album where he started singing good. It was like he took lessons. Some of his best vocals were on The Basement Tapes. And he can croon well too.

I've seen Bob Dylan in concert twice. Had great seats. Walked out of both concerts half way through, actually earlier than that. I'm so sorry y'all. He sucked. He really did. He could barely stand up in the first one. The second one, he couldn't sing. Well, now that I think about it, he couldn't sing in the first one either. It was awful. I was disappointed in Bob. Bob let me down big time, twice. I've never, ever, ever walked on a concert. I walked on Bob, twice. It wasn't to make a stand, it was because there was something better to do. I was absolutely bored out of my mind. I felt like I was at a concert my parents had taken me to. I'm ashamed to finally admit this, yet I feel better for finally having gotten it off my chest. So there, I walked out on Bob, not once, but twice. Please forgive me?

• Like 1

My Dylan profile

I love slow train coming so much that I can't listen to it anymore. The song precious angel is my favorite.

Live at budokan was fun, reggae style hits. I used to listen to Nashville skyline, self portrait, budokan, slow train, modern times in rotation.

I love Brownsville girl, lots of fun to sing along with. First heard it in vinyl, happened to cone across it in my mother in-laws collection.

Love the songs, "one more cup of coffee" and "no time think"

Newer favorite would be long and wasted years

Edited by majormayhem

It's all good from Together Trough Life.

I feel that's such an underrated album! Everybody always talks about the trilogy of Time Out Of Mind / Love And Theft / Modern Times. And rightfully so, because they're great albums. But Together Through Life is always sort of kleft out and it shouldn't be. I love the musical approach and I love the songs. It just never gets the credit it deserves. Tempest is fantastic as well by the way. The title track alone is just amazing.