Can anyone here play the Shacklers Revenge solo?

Towelie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's funny is that even some technical players seem really clueless to what's going on during the solo, so they just use the whammy pedal hoping it'd sound similar. :lol: even though Ron doesn't use ANY effect on the solo/tapping solo.

I think he does use the whammy pedal during the solo.

Towelie, he doesn't. Not his style. He does a thimble tapping thing. I hear (and see) him doing lots of sliding on the fretless and bending/tapping on the fretted.

Projected, certainly not, but since you seem to know a lot about that solo, you could simply correct me and others instead of being a complete asshole. Yes, I know it's hard for you and other old bitter retarded fanboys, but you can try.

certainly not

If you think that BBF doesn't use any effects at all in SR solo, you probably are.

Also only a complete retard can somehow consider a discussion about guitar effects as a negative remark towards the guitarist.

You're an idiot and should go play in traffic and not pollute this forum with your idiocy.

Have a good day, I'm done with you.

The real question is, is there a guitarist who would want to learn this noodling? For what purpose?

It has to be one of the most tasteless, uncool, moot solos in a rock song, ever.

Fretless guitar is not that hard to learn, don't exaggerate. This is easy to play if you know how to play fretless. The tapping etc. is all standard stuff too these days. Cello is much more difficult to play, has no frets either. Hundreds of thousands are playing fretless guitar and much more advanced than BBFs predictable slides and fart noises.

I think I mentioned this before, BBF is very advanced as a guitarist ... not so much as a musician. Meaning, playing for the song, putting content into what you play, the phrasing, the gut, the lyrical part, the touch. You can combine being technically advanced with those things, but it seems alien to him.

Even guitar geeks on guitar forums think his playing is hollow (which says a lot because those geeks have really low standards when it comes to musical content). His guitar tone is shit too, I mean 15k worth of gear and that is the guitar sound you get? Really man?

Nom, nice rant like the old days, kbye <3

certainly not

If you think that BBF doesn't use any effects at all in SR solo, you probably are.

Also only a complete retard can somehow consider a discussion about guitar effects as a negative remark towards the guitarist.

You're an idiot and should go play in traffic and not pollute this forum with your idiocy.

But he doesn't use any effect on the solo. I won't even bother linking a video, because you can even see this for yourself on every live performance of it. The only time he uses a Whammy during the set is on the Chinese Democracy solo.

Fretless guitar is not that hard to learn, don't exaggerate. This is easy to play if you know how to play fretless. The tapping etc. is all standard stuff too these days. Cello is much more difficult to play, has no frets either. Hundreds of thousands are playing fretless guitar and much more advanced than BBFs predictable slides and fart noises.

Really?

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup

What's funny is that even some technical players seem really clueless to what's going on during the solo, so they just use the whammy pedal hoping it'd sound similar. :lol: even though Ron doesn't use ANY effect on the solo/tapping solo.

true, but it's a shit solo (NOT technically speaking, technically, this is good)

Like an 8 bit video game soundtrack or something...

I don't like it

Edited by Crash Diet

I do a wicked air guitar version

Ha ! I want you to post a link to that :)

Also, can you transcribe it for the rest of us ???

rock4

I can only show you the song if me and the other members of my air instrument band reunite. But me and the singer don't talk anymore....but seriously I can play it. I got a 100% score on rock band to prove it.

In that case won't be hard for you to prove me otherwise, sir.

I never claimed anything like that, you're the one doing this. Anyway, Ron usually doesn't use any effect, killswitch, whammy bar, pedal and all of that - it's usually him, the amp, guitar, a wah here and there and that's it.

Really? You make stupid claims and then runs like a pussy? Back up what you said, don't simply say something and run away.

You're plain wrong, though. Here's what a fretless guitar virtuoso has to say on the subject...

I like Ron Thal's playing. I don't mean this to sound too harsh, but to me, most fretless players sound like average guitarists playing terribly out of tune. Most have a long way to go in developing good fretless tone. That's why I like Ron - he sounds like Ron. I recommend players to listen to our tracks on the "FRETLESS GUITAR MASTERS" CD. A lot can be learned from tunes like "Ambiguity" and "Children of Sierra Leone".

Projected, here we go. A few live performances of the song showing Ron playing the entire solo, no pedals, nothing - just him and the double neck. There's also an interview and he does the first bit of the fretless solo - he was noodling around and again, no effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_agNXRk57rU#t=141s

I emailed Ron, and asked him how he plays SR solo and whether he uses a whammy pedal or not. Here was his reply:

On my parts I played fretless (w/ thimble), didn't use a whammy. The end tapping & bendy solos were fretted. The song has a whammy going in the choruses, but that wasn't my thang.... HAPPY 2013! :)
Edited by Towelie

Fretless has an interesting sound to it, esp. the ones that play bass like Jaco & Mick Karn. I just think it's a proficiency thing and finding your own "voice" in playing, and that's what the guy who was giving Ron the kudos was saying. It's good to dissect the songs because some songs can't be replicated live, even by the one who created it in the studio.

To me, live should have some improvisation going on to it and some deviating from the studio version, shouldn't it?? The exception should prob. be the tribute bands, but they have can always go by live versions as how the band played it live.

Waiting for projected to come tell Ron that he's retarded for knowing that he doesn't use effects.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Towelie, all you have to do now is figure out and play it, lol! Even if there is a long way to go, once you're able to play it, you'll be damn good :)