Why do people act as if nobody gives a shit about a new GNR album from the current band?

Towelie

I've seen so many ridiculous comments on here, such as "nobody outside of 20 fans on this board care about an album from the current band" etc. Axl's detractors love to belittle the current line-up, but the truth is, if Axl released a new GNR album this year, it would undoubtedly go top 5 in both the US and the UK album charts and probably sell a similar amount to CD, maybe more if it were promoted better.

If the old line-up were still together, there's no way they would still be selling like they did back in 87-92. Nobody sells records like that anymore, especially in rock music. Chinese Democracy sold a respectable amount for a rock album in the 00's, on a par with recent albums from the likes of Metallica, RHCP, Van Halen, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith etc.

There is a world outside of this message board, and there are Guns N Roses fans outside of the small percentage of cupcakes on this forum.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's all about marketing. If GNR were to come out and aggressively market a follow up to CD, I think people would respond by giving it a listen. A second album might even promote sales of CD because I feel like a lot of people don't even really know it's out there due to the poor marketing.

I think it's all about marketing. If GNR were to come out and aggressively market a follow up to CD, I think people would respond by giving it a listen. A second album might even promote sales of CD because I feel like a lot of people don't even really know it's out there due to the poor marketing.

Possibly.

Making it Best Buy exclusive was a very dumb idea but the label wanted their money back.

What are you guys on, any Guns n Roses albulm would sell and make top 2, jeez you guys are so negative all the time. They tour the world, don't sell out of course, but still gain hefty crowds. Really don't understand your thinking, it's a gnr forum, yet you act as if you hate them, i wish i had enough time to waste with my life like you do.

I've seen so many ridiculous comments on here, such as "nobody outside of 20 fans on this board care about an album from the current band" etc. Axl's detractors love to belittle the current line-up, but the truth is, if Axl released a new GNR album this year, it would undoubtedly go top 5 in both the US and the UK album charts and probably sell a similar amount to CD, maybe more if it were promoted better.

If the old line-up were still together, there's no way they would still be selling like they did back in 87-92. Nobody sells records like that anymore, especially in rock music. Chinese Democracy sold a respectable amount for a rock album in the 00's, on a par with recent albums from the likes of Metallica, RHCP, Van Halen, Foo Fighters, Aerosmith etc.

There is a world outside of this message board, and there are Guns N Roses fans outside of the small percentage of cupcakes on this forum.

Is this fact or just speculation? Impressive if it is true as the latest RHCP and FF albums had quite a few commercial hits.

Possibly.

Making it Best Buy exclusive was a very dumb idea but the label wanted their money back.

Certainly was. Best Buy is a dying company as well. People just don't go there anymore, they just order offline. I recently went in to Best Buy as could not even find Chinese Democracy in their store.

What are you guys on, any Guns n Roses albulm would sell and make top 2, jeez you guys are so negative all the time. They tour the world, don't sell out of course, but still gain hefty crowds. Really don't understand your thinking, it's a gnr forum, yet you act as if you hate them, i wish i had enough time to waste with my life like you do.

The hilarious part is so many people would buy just for the name guns n roses.

some of those people might not even realize that slash isn't in the band anymore. My brother in law told me at christmas last yeaqr that guns n roses were on tour, but i had to tell him that it was axls new band, not slash, duff, etc. He had no clue. A lot of people don't, but hey, Axl had his shot to legitamize GNR and all he's done is make it a joke.

It comes down to whether or not people like the songs. Some people didn't like Chinese Democracy at all, but for the most part, when people actually listened to it, they didn't have anything bad to say about it. If people said 1 or 2 songs blew, they could've said the same thing about AFD, UYI, or TSI?

Possibly.

Certainly was. Best Buy is a dying company as well. People just don't go there anymore, they just order offline. I recently went in to Best Buy as could not even find Chinese Democracy in their store.

That's because they slashed the price to $1.99 and with whatever didn't sell, they dumped it on dollar stores. Best Buy really got screwed on that deal.

It would sell, but not top this or top that.

Plus, you have to remember that a lot of "buyers" really aren't preoccupied with what GnR is doing. They might pick up a GnR album after seeing a TV commercial, hearing a radio promotion or just when they see it in stores. But until that happens it doesn't even cross their mind. They're not anticipating it, or even caring about whether or not there will be an album. That's the hard reality of it.

It has nothing to do with hating anything, it's just realism.

Plus, you have to remember that a lot of "buyers" really aren't preoccupied with what GnR is doing. They might pick up a GnR album after seeing a TV commercial, hearing a radio promotion or just when they see it in stores. But until that happens it doesn't even cross their mind. They're not anticipating it, or even caring about whether or not there will be an album. That's the hard reality of it.

Maybe i suppose mate, just honestly think they are more popular than people here think, maybe not in usa, but then they have strange tastes in music, country, to rest of world, that sucks balls. But in europe they are still a big name.

I agree with your overall theme. A new album is still going to sell enough to make money.

But a couple things you said were a little odd. Any lack of promotion last time was purely Axl. The label did their part. Axl didn't. Who didn't know CD was out????? Print ads, tv commercials. The MySpace free listening. Every major music magazine/media site reviewed the album.

By saying it needed more promotion people are implying that there are potential buyers who weren't aware GnR released an album. That simply isn't accurate. Anybody interested in buying the album knew that it came out.

Your old band vs new band sales thing is weird. You downgrade the potential sales totals if a reunion album, but say an album by the new band would sell well. A reunion album in 2013 would sell twice as many copies as CD2 would. Probably three or four times as many.

You don't have to insult the old band, or fans of the old band, to make the current band look better.

I hope Axl decides to share his music with his fans. And that he gives the current group a chance to be more than just touring musicians. I wish he would put out a new album every year.

Because it's true.

Axl had his chance, and for whatever reason you wanna cite, it just didn't work out. The material he created without any of the other aspects people associate with the name didn't connect to an audience, which therefore, didn't leave the vast majority of people wanting more. Nobody cares about another "GNR" album unless it contains at least some of the people that most of the population associates with the name; at the very least, Slash. And we know that's never gonna happen.

People are only interested in "GNR" as a touring nostalgic act now. They wanna hear Axl singing songs that sound like GNR music, which to the nu band's credit, they do a pretty good job covering. I think it's fair to say it's easier replacing an instrumental aspect to a group in terms of nostalgia than it is to replace a singing aspect, which is why I think Axl's still able to do pretty well touring wise. But the majority of people don't care about these guys actually making material together as a unit. It's not about being a "bitter ex fan". Facts are just facts.

Chinese Democracy was Guns N' Roses money shot people waited years to hear. And with the leaks, it premature ejaculated. Now GNR has erectile dysfunction and there is no hope to get GN'R back up again.The cupcakes? They have won. Axl won't even visit a board dedicated to him like he did in the late 90s. The new "Guns N' Roses" fans are definitely in the minority. That's just too bad for the OP to accept. The music Axl has come up with is fucking terrible.

Any new GNR album wouldn't generate as much interest for a few reasons:

1. The general public is unwilling to accept any new material from GNR if it doesn't have Slash in it. Whether people want to admit it or not and whether it's right or wrong it's still true. Until Axl comes out with a new album and proves that he's still got it, the general public is simply uninterested in Guns N' Roses. They're already turned off by the fact that it's not the original lineup, and most people hate Axl for that. The only way to win them over is by being in the limelight more and putting out good music.

2. There would be zero promotion, let's face it. Axl wouldn't do anything and the only promotion of a new album would be Fortus, DJ, Bumble, Frank, Tommy and DJ, which nobody would care about. Axl needs to be promoting new music and touring, plain and simple. I'm not talking about doing one interview every two years like TMS and Kimmel, I mean being easily accessible to the media and fans when a new album comes out. Like I said above, he needs to be in the spotlight and embrace it otherwise any new album will fail miserably. I have no reason to believe Axl would change his ways and be willing to act this way, but it would need to happen.

Guest bellastar2355

Any new GNR album wouldn't generate as much interest for a few reasons:

1. The general public is unwilling to accept any new material from GNR if it doesn't have Slash in it. Whether people want to admit it or not and whether it's right or wrong it's still true. Until Axl comes out with a new album and proves that he's still got it, the general public is simply uninterested in Guns N' Roses. They're already turned off by the fact that it's not the original lineup, and most people hate Axl for that. The only way to win them over is by being in the limelight more and putting out good music.

2. There would be zero promotion, let's face it. Axl wouldn't do anything and the only promotion of a new album would be Fortus, DJ, Bumble, Frank, Tommy and DJ, which nobody would care about. Axl needs to be promoting new music and touring, plain and simple. I'm not talking about doing one interview every two years like TMS and Kimmel, I mean being easily accessible to the media and fans when a new album comes out. Like I said above, he needs to be in the spotlight and embrace it otherwise any new album will fail miserably. I have no reason to believe Axl would change his ways and be willing to act this way, but it would need to happen.

You think he wants to do music videos now? I think that would also help..

I think if he made videos and really got into it... it would sell....

He got a positive response from his Jimmy Kimmel appearance and he was trending... so a new CD would probably interest people

Look I agree that even if the original members from GNR were together today, they wouldn't be able to top the cds that they've already released.

AFD can never be topped in my opinion. It's just a damn good album and the songs are still amazing today as they were in 1988.

all the original band members have changed, not just in getting sober and getting their shit together, but even their music styles.

You can see the difference in styles between AFD and the Use your Illuisions albums. I think eventually Axl would have left and gone his own way because he wanted to try different things and I don't think the other liked it. Slash has said many times that he feels AFD was the most definitive album that GNR ever did. I don't think he was crazy about the other albums.

I feel that when you do something so amazing like the AFD album, there's no way in hell you're going to top it.

If GNR did release a new cd, I would definitely buy it and probably like it. I liked CD and still listen to it, but I'm one of the older fans here. I've been a fan of the original GNR and their albums and have been a fan of Axl with his new band, but my kids didn't like CD at all, but after hearing the songs done live, they changed their minds.

I think at this stage of Axl's life, he knows that no matter what he does, there will be fans who just won't like anything he does, because Slash, Duff, Izzy, Matt aren't in the band. As far as some fans are concerned the real GNR is gone and no matter what Axl does musicially it won't measure up. It won't be AFD if that's what you're looking for. He's done that already. Axl is older now and different things matter to him now. But he'll always have those songs to play and fans who want to hear them and anything new he does.

I think that if Axl does release and record new music with this GNR, then maybe people will realize he's serious about playing with these guys. Until then, I think some of you just won't accept anything less.

And yeah, in the outside world, most people don't even mention GNR unless you happen to be wea ring a t shirt of them, otherwise most people don't know or even care if GNR even still exist.

If you're a rock fan, yes you will know because Axl is rock and it's just shit you know. You know that the Rolling Stones just had their 50 year anniversary together. You know Led Zepplin won't reunite, you know Slash has a new cd and a new band. Duff too. Steven even has a new band. You stay current with new bands like the Black Veil Brides and you know Motley Crue toured with Kiss. It's just something you know because you're a rock fan. That's just the way it is.

New music or not, Axl Rose will go down in the history books as being part of a band that changed the face of music and made music that still makes you wanna punch someone in the face! That's fuckin rock and roll and it will never die!