Why do people act as if nobody gives a shit about a new GNR album from the current band?

Towelie

The kind of people who take an album to 20 million sales dont care about the line up. Not that they are bad people in anyway at all. But you are kidding yourself if you think every copy of Afd or uyi went to well informed fan. I personally know 4 people who bought Afd for SCOM and knew nothing about the band literally nothing couldnt name a band member. They bought it cos scom went no 1.

You don't seriously think any future GnR song is going to go no.1 do you?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Axl has had so many chances to make new GNR relevent but for whatever reason every time he gets close he just pisses it away. Had an album came out in '99 i think it would've hit because there was a curiosity about what he had been doing the last 5 or 6 years and people wanted to know. CD hadn't yet been built up to have unrealistic expectations. I also truly believe that they could've regained the crown of the biggest rock act by headlining Woodstock '99 because at that time there wasn't really a true rock act that could've compared (limp biscit, korn, maybe kid rock? But Guns headlining Woodstock would've introduced them to the teenage crowd that just missed the impact of original guns and therefore wouldn't have held that against them like many of the original/slash lovers did. In '02 at the VMA's he again had an opportunity and created a buzz and declared it round 1 but didn't do anything with it. In '06 the hammerstein shows got great reviews and he said fans would hear new music this year but again nothing. When CD finally came out it was way too late. Timing is everything with music and CD just wasn't relevent enough at the time. In '99, CD would've been relevent to the music scene and he wouldn't have had much to lose but oh well such is life I guess but if CDII does come out I don't think it will do well because it will probably just be more stuff that was written in the 90's when the music scene was much different. Will I buy it? Of course will most people on here buy it? I'd imagine. Will the general public? unfortunatly I doubt it because whether you want to admit it or not this forum represents a minority of the GNR fanbase that doesn't know a song like twat exists.

The kind of people who take an album to 20 million sales dont care about the line up. Not that they are bad people in anyway at all. But you are kidding yourself if you think every copy of Afd or uyi went to well informed fan. I personally know 4 people who bought Afd for SCOM and knew nothing about the band literally nothing couldnt name a band member. They bought it cos scom went no 1.

DJ seems to know how to write rock hits, so who knows? Stranger things have happened.

You don't read too good do you boy? just joking. I got a bit convoluted there. I was saying they won't capture those fans again, mainly because they wont get a No. 1 song again. For many reasons. The want or the need probably.

And band that sells 20 mil doesnt really have more fans than one that sells 700k. They just sold their product better to the mainstream floaters who buy stuff. Anything really, whatever is hot. Guns were the new kids on the block. Now it's Justin Bieber or Evanescence or something.

DJ seems to know how to write rock hits, so who knows? Stranger things have happened.

It's possible that Dj writes a hit and the next record does significantly better. Getting the machine on your side is the most important thing. If Dj's presence gets them them a video budget and radio to play the first single. Well, that wouldn't be a bad start now.

Lol I'm not offended. I just don't like your "I'm right you're wrong" attitude in every thread.

lmao you mean the "Axl Rose" attitude? :awesomeface:

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

You don't read too good do you boy? just joking. I got a bit convoluted there. I was saying they won't capture those fans again, mainly because they wont get a No. 1 song again. For many reasons. The want or the need probably.

And band that sells 20 mil doesnt really have more fans than one that sells 700k. They just sold their product better to the mainstream floaters who buy stuff. Anything really, whatever is hot. Guns were the new kids on the block. Now it's Justin Bieber or Evanescence or something.

So you are claiming that GNR were the equivalent Justin Bieber back then commercially and that artistically they are as relevant today as they were back then?

i'll bet if you asked a thousand strangers if they new november rain, you'd get plenty of happy replies. but try asking that with... i don't know, what was the most popular song form chinese democracy? better? okay, ask a thousand strangers if they ever heard better. then try to remember their blank stares next time you awaken at night, angry and confused as to why there's no sequel to chinese democracy.

Actually, i was listening to GNR with a friend that aren't even a fan of the band, and when better started, i was going to skip the song, then she said "hey, i like this song, let it play!" she didn't remember where she heard it, but she heard it...ok, fuck this story LOL. But, why the next album have to be a sequence to chinese?? Why people always refer to this as "CD II"?? Why can't it be just a new album having nothing to do with CD??

Your sig breaks My GNR guide lines.

Edited by star

Lol I'm not offended. I just don't like your "I'm right you're wrong" attitude in every thread.

lmao you mean the "Axl Rose" attitude? :awesomeface:

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

So you are claiming that GNR were the equivalent Justin Bieber back then commercially and that artistically they are as relevant today as they were back then?

I just don't know what sells these days in terms of rock, Kings of Leon, Muse?

Artistically they seem about as relevant, if not more so as CD is kind of more interesting than AFD or UYI, it's kind of an oddity to mix the these various genres. But the band take up a similar position as outside the mainstream and don't care but havent walked ass backwards into "success" like the old guys.

...as CD is kind of more interesting than AFD... (artistically)

I don't think many people would agree with that.

Many people are wrong. I mean doesnt mean you have to like it. Just that Afd or Uyi are nothing new. Its well done with attitude but its been done by AcDC Aerosmith Elton etc before.

Whereas as taking classic rock and mixing it with nu metal or however you want to call it. Its something new which is what art is about. Artistically CD is better. In therefore anyway.

Im wasted your complaints are all so baseless.

i don't understand what you mean by "more artistic." i think something can have huge artistic ambition, but little artistic worth.

one key way to gauge the worth of a piece of art is by how it influences other works of art or artists that follows. in twenty years, the only people talking about chinese democracy will be the same 30 giant losers who've been talking about it since it came out.

Thats no way to judge how artistic something is. If you think CD failed artistically then thats fair enough. AfD suceed in its artistic ambitions however limited. I was giving them a level playing field. AFD rocks way harder than CD but its doesnt have the artistic ambitions of CD. AFD is way less contrived. Like how much work did it take to blend GNR with nu metal? just tje idea of it makes it more artistic proposition in my book.

Thats no way to judge how artistic something is. If you think CD failed artistically then thats fair enough. AfD suceed in its artistic ambitions however limited. I was giving them a level playing field. AFD rocks way harder than CD but its doesnt have the artistic ambitions of CD. AFD is way less contrived. Like how much work did it take to blend GNR with nu metal? just tje idea of it makes it more artistic proposition in my book.

Yeah, it's kinda like the end result of a long experiment. My World was just looking around blind, Oh My God was getting there, and Chinese was the prefect blend.

On the other hand, Appetite was a blend too. Metal, Classic Rock, Blues, Punk, Funk, and more. It was all there, but it was also something new.

Guns was always a modern blend of old proven formulas. Chinese took it in a new direction: more generes, bigger, weirder, but still the Gn'R sound.

That's the case I'd make for AFD as an artistic album, it's mix of all these styles of rock - Skynnard, Queen, Pistols, ACDC, Aerosmith, even thrash. It's just not as pushing as far as colliding classic rock with nu metal (90s bands like Korn, NIN, Nirvana) Blending those things into it really polarized fans because at some point you were either on one side or the other. Blabbermouth really proves that, Korn get so much shit on there. And now with the 00s I don't know what you'd call bands like MCR, BFMV, The Killers, Kings of Leon - it's almost come full circle.

Seeing as there's actually a band this go around (we didn't even know who was in the band when CD was released), and their apparent openness to doing publicity and interviews and such, I think a new album, with the right single and promotion, could easily outsell 'Chinese Democracy', if done right. But "we've seen that movie, too" ;)

That's the case I'd make for AFD as an artistic album, it's mix of all these styles of rock - Skynnard, Queen, Pistols, ACDC, Aerosmith, even thrash. It's just not as pushing as far as colliding classic rock with nu metal (90s bands like Korn, NIN, Nirvana) Blending those things into it really polarized fans because at some point you were either on one side or the other. Blabbermouth really proves that, Korn get so much shit on there. And now with the 00s I don't know what you'd call bands like MCR, BFMV, The Killers, Kings of Leon - it's almost come full circle.

Yeah, maybe that's why on Appetite they had more room to hit you on the head with some elements of it, cause there weren't as many genres or at least not like there are in Chinese: you get the feeling the sound will fall apart without the details, and those were put together for specific reasons.

It's kinda the same goal, but Axl got there by carefully injecting the things that could work under the Gn'R umbrella. Quite a challenge if you ask me. Stretching the Guns sound far enough to every direction, that it will feel fresh but never losing the core of it.

Appetite to Illusions they did that too, when they introduced epics like November Rain, Estranged, Coma, and Locomotive so I guess one of the known ways we can count on to make a proper Gn'R album is to push it forward like that. Axl always cared a lot about that, and I believe this is one of the things that seperates his vision and the Gn'R concept then other bands that revisit old ideas like maybe how Death Magnetic was to And Justice For All.

Edited by Rovim