Why did/do people like Nirvana?

Vincent Vega

I think out of all the Grunge bands that were out there in the '90s, Nirvana was one of the least talented; I think they were far surpassed by bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. I think Nirvana was very limited both lyrically and musically...Most of it is teenage angst over amped up pop. I think even if Kurt had lived, they'd have continued doing teenage angst driven music.

I can understand their appeal to angst ridden teenagers....But why do people outside of teens like them? What's the appeal?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nirvana was better than grunge. They were on another level. Lithium, SLTS, Heart Shaped Box, Come as you Are were light years ahead of the rest.

If you don't like their music, then I don't know why you are talking about it? It's like you are unhappy they were more successful than bands that you like.

You think Nirvana was weak Lyrically? I thought some lyrics there were brilliant.

Musically, it was very melodic, yet heavy and simple like punk. Great band imo. Alice In Chains is my favorite of those 4 bands, but Nirvana deserved the success imo.

Kurt was truly gifted.

Edited by Rovim

they made really shitty songs, the general public loves shit.

Dude. Wake up. You listen to metal. That's like, the definition of SHIT.

There's a reason people don't care for metal heads. It's because they smell, they're weird, and their music is ANNOYING.

the irony,.

I think out of all the Grunge bands that were out there in the '90s, Nirvana was one of the least talented; I think they were far surpassed by bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. I think Nirvana was very limited both lyrically and musically...Most of it is teenage angst over amped up pop. I think even if Kurt had lived, they'd have continued doing teenage angst driven music.

I can understand their appeal to angst ridden teenagers....But why do people outside of teens like them? What's the appeal?

The biggest impact to me was that a band didn't have to relocate to LA or to New York to be successful.

You can't say they weren't talented if a lot of people liked it then and now.

And as far as getting into lyrics, Kurt was really good with lyrics and playing with words, had a band that delivered them with tenderness and ferocity. Songwriting isn't like writing a book or a short story.

"Amped up pop" is called power pop - that's from the 70s, and those were the bands trying to emulate The Beatles, the bands GNR and Nirvana were mutual fans of, as well as bands like Big Star & The Raspberries, and Cheap Trick later on.

Do teenagers even listen to Nirvana in 2012? Maybe a few, but they're part of the classic rock landscape for most people, and their parents' music. What does music even mean to people anymore? Is it just a bunch of background music for your workout, does it move you to feel something from it?You would have to come up with your own answer.

The Nirvana/GNR feud was so long ago, it'll prob. still be discussed in 5-6 years, which would make it longer than Cobain was even alive.

If someone's 65 and likes punk rock and/or heavy metal because they grew up listening to it, why should they start listening to something else if it's something they never liked?

You're starting to see the answer to when someone is "too old to rock n' roll" now. You're not really seeing anyone retire though. Retire to do what? That's why the comments about Axl never doing new music again is silly.

Dave Grohl - he had a really good run with Foo Fighters and still gets Nirvana money, it's his call whether he wants to do more of that, or just play drums for friends and other side projects, and not deal with bandleader responsibilities. It's a given he's set for life with what he did in both bands.

When I first read this title I thought it said "What dildo do people like Nirvana" and I thought you accidentally left "use" off. :lol:

(Umm, I dunno. Ones with fresh batteries, maybe?)

On topic (now that I've read it properly): I think Kurt was a great songwriter, with melodies that you feel in the pit of your stomach.

Guest Len B'stard

Because they were an amazingly powerful 3 piece, Kurt Cobain had an ear for melody, simple melody, the kind of ones people that can't write em say don't exist anymore and they've all been used, the most amazing subtle intelligent lyrics, like a patchwork of imagery, Nirvana lyrics to me are almost like little art vignettes, they paint the most amazing pictures and are of a sort where they remain fresh and interesting and amazing forever because they are so open, so multi-dimensional, they sort of mean everything and nothing at the same time, like a whole list of possibilities.

They were, at the Cobain Novoselic, Grohl phase, one of the most perfectly realised bands ever. They might've been a bit of a Pixies knock off but thats no insult. Love the band really, moreso than Guns n Roses. There was just so much more to em for me.

Edited by sugaraylen

people liked it because they knew nirvana was the last true, genuine rock'n'roll band.

people were right : after nirvana, almost everything in rock music has been sounding fake and artificial.

Edited by Roky

Because they sucked. I mean, who cares about Nirvana when you get Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Faith No More, Jane's Addiction, RHCP, Mudhoney, Melvins and tons of good bands around ?

Even though I love Grohl and Krist, Kurt sucked and was an whiny asshole.

Wow.

Is this guy serious? Soundgarden wrote like one good song - actually I'll give them two good songs.

And you're saying the bassist and the drummer for Nirvana were good but not Cobain? Cobain wrote ninety nine percent of that material. They were like second class musicians.

Have you listened to the Foo Fighters? If you prefer the Foo Fighters over Nirvana well then all hope is lost.

You poor bastard.