Walking Papers (Duff) - Thoughts?

hudsonsaul

Howdy folk.

Just checked out Antiquiet to fill some time and saw this: http://www.antiquiet.com/exclusive/sessions/2013/01/walking-papers/ (Walking Papers)

A band featuring Duff on bass....only up to the second song,...but imo,.. so far it's the best stuff I've heard Duff do since GnR days, and already better then all the other old guns guys solo projects (imo of course, as its more to my tastes than Slashs work).

Bold statement I know, and I'm not trying to cupcake, so take a listen and post your thoughts. Keen to hear them.

Don't create topics often, so hopefully this is in the right section and all that jazz....did a search on 'walking papers' and it returned nothing.

I need listen to them a bit more, but I like what I'm hearing. When talking about old gunners' solo projects, nothing, IMO, can top Duff's Beautiful Disease and Loaded's the Taking. But Walking Papers are quite rocking.

I need listen to them a bit more, but I like what I'm hearing. When talking about old gunners' solo projects, nothing, IMO, can top Duff's Beautiful Disease and Loaded's the Taking. But Walking Papers are quite rocking.

I need to give Loaded a few more spins to let it settle in,...but I'm struggling to do this with it.

3/5 tracks on antiquiets site and I was pleased, so will look to purchase the album and give it some time (tbh this a big deal for me, as I've never felt much for ex-gunners music,..bar some of Izzys - and when the 1st snakepit cd came out).

nothing, IMO, can top Duff's Beautiful Disease and Loaded's the Taking. But Walking Papers are quite rocking.

I prefer Loaded's Sick to The Taking but having said that The Taking does have some great songs on it.

I saw Walking Papers in Manchester back in November last year and I had a great time.

They played their album in its entirety and I met them all afterwards.

Their singer Jeff grabbed my hand during one of their songs, crushing it.

I had my copy of their album before it went on general sale (I think) and their drummer Barrett noticed me waving it around when he was telling us to buy copies at the merchandise stand.

As I understand it they are already recording their next album.

As much as I'm stoked to see Duff playing bass again, most of the time I feel that he's able to come up with more complex and groovy bass lines on a par with Barrett Martin's drumming.

It's such a shame that Beautiful Disease never got to be released. I've spent a lot of time trying to find a decent quality digital copy on the Internet, but it seems that there're just 128 kbps or 256 kbps copies out there and the latter have some micro-gaps in the songs which really ruin the listening experience. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also Have tix for the Paris May show, would be cool to meet Duff.

Really like the album and agree that Loaded is as good as any post GNR project (although I do think VR was the closest to what Guns would have sounded like had they continued).

One thing The Taking has that CD does not is memorable choruses.

• 5 months later...

It's an awesome band, specially live! Love them. Great music, great singer as well.

I went to their concert, started as a Duff fan, came out as a WP fan! Just really good!

Love their sound and they have so much fun playing music, they are able to bring that feeling across.

If you have the chance to see them, go!

• 4 months later...

I really dig them. I hope they come somewhere nearby so I can see a live show. I like how clean and just pure sort of bluesy rock they sound. It isn't overproduced and busy and hard to follow. It is music you can drink a beer to. Music you can shoot pool to. Just good, stripped down rock n roll.

• Like 2

Great :)

Funny thing: I'm gonna see them in Dortmund this year.. without even knowing it before lol. My girlfriend really wanted to see Aerosmith and Walking Papers is opening for them!!

PS:

I've just listened to the song "I'll stick around" .. wtf. Probably the best song I've heard in a long long time.

Edited by Lethalis

Funny thing: I'm gonna see them in Dortmund this year.. without even knowing it before lol. My girlfriend really wanted to see Aerosmith and Walking Papers is opening for them!!

Haha same thing with me, Walking Papers and Alter Bridge before Aerosmith in Łódź, nice supports :)

• 1 month later...

Great :)

PS:

I've just listened to the song "I'll stick around" .. wtf. Probably the best song I've heard in a long long time.

One of the songs they played here, the vocals reminds me a tiny bit of a band called Silverchair which I used to listen to once, back in the 90s.