Opinions of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Vincent Vega

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My biggest issue with that movie was Shia LeBouf. He was horribly miscast and didn't pull it off. I have no idea how they didn't see it while watching the dailies. He sticks out like a sore thumb.

While many people had issues with Lucas' creative direction for the movie, I didn't mind it. However, I thought the ending didn't have the 'payoff' that we come to expect from Indiana Jones movies. Compared to the first 3, this film missed the mark, so to speak, but is still quite enjoyable and re-watchable. Spielberg's touch counts for a lot, and can compensate for many shortcomings.

My other issue with the film is the cinematography. It's way too bright. Combined with how much CGI they used, the film's look is not congruent with the first 3 films. Douglas Slocombe was responsible for the cinematography in the first 3 films. As a result, they had great shadows, lighting, and contrast. But KotCS looks whitewashed in many scenes.

One minor thing, but which really bothered me about the movie was the crystal skulls themselves- they looked like cheap props. IVery lightweight and plastic-y looking. I think they could have done a better job making the material look more 'realistic.' Like put quartz, or crystal, or diamond-looking stuff in there.

Edited by brainsaber

Didn't you make this same thread a few months ago?

And a few months before that. And that was the fifth or sixth one since 2008.

Maybe when he realizes he hasn't made a thread in almost 17 minutes he just uses this as his old standby.

Movie was poor, when compared.to the first 3 it's horrible, worse than horrible. Dialogue was campy and forced ("just say it's a rope, [both] it's a rope), absurd shit aside from anything supernatural (swinging with monkeys, driving off a cliff and floating over the falls, nuking the fridge, etc.). CGI was obvious, ending unfulfilling, fuck this movie.

My biggest issue with that movie was Shia LeBouf. He was horribly miscast and didn't pull it off. I have no idea how they didn't see it while watching the dailies. He sticks out like a sore thumb.

While many people had issues with Lucas' creative direction for the movie, I didn't mind it. However, I thought the ending didn't have the 'payoff' that we come to expect from Indiana Jones movies. Compared to the first 3, this film missed the mark, so to speak, but is still quite enjoyable and re-watchable. Spielberg's touch counts for a lot, and can compensate for many shortcomings.

My other issue with the film is the cinematography. It's way too bright. Combined with how much CGI they used, the film's look is not congruent with the first 3 films. Douglas Slocombe was responsible for the cinematography in the first 3 films. As a result, they had great shadows, lighting, and contrast. But KotCS looks whitewashed in many scenes.

One minor thing, but which really bothered me about the movie was the crystal skulls themselves- they looked like cheap props. IVery lightweight and plastic-y looking. I think they could have done a better job making the material look more 'realistic.' Like put quartz, or crystal, or diamond-looking stuff in there.

I think the whitewashed look was done intentionally to give it that sort of bright colored '50s look.

• 7 months later...

I personally think this film is totally underrated and opinions of it are tainted by rose colored nostalgia for the original films by the 30+ audience members. It stands up with the other films. For every stupid or unbelievable moment in the Crystal Skull, there's something just as stupid or unbelievable in each of the original films. Even an average Indiana Jones film is still better than any Mummy, National Treasure or Lara Croft film.

The dumb CGI scenes in the middle of the film killed it for me. I don't mind the aliens and crystal skull thing (I feel temple of doom is just as far "out there"). But its Shia swinging like Tarzan, ants trying to kill them, and so on that makes this the weakest of the series for me. I gave it a B, While I would give TOD a B+, so its not that far off.

For the record Last Crusade is an A, and Raiders is an A+