The Official Black Sabbath '13'/Tour Thread

bran

Not for me. I'd take any Tony Martin album over 13 except for Forbidden, and maybe Cross Purposes.

Funny how our opinions vary

Forbidden is my fav Martin era album

Forbidden > TYR> Headless Cross> Cross Purposes

The Eternal idol was better with Ray Gillen vocals, imo

What's so random about it? It's a highly polarizing album (Arguably more so than any other Sabbath album) and this is the thread we started for the album/tour cycle.

Just because its 2 years old. Its cool though, its a fun topic.

it wasnt organic sounding or feeling to me at all IMO.

Oh god, stop this shit, man....

They will never be as organic as in their 20-30's....

Plus if you add Rick Rubin to the mix, you will find why they're sound like this...

God, you people had too much expectations...

The album still got kick ass riffs and Brad Wilk's drumming was ok and fit for their style

I'm just glad that they don't auto tune the shit out of Ozzy's vocals... He barely can sing anymore, but it's understandable, it's a miracle that he is alive. I thiink people who like Ozzy, mostly like him, because of his persona and his legacy, not because his voice (at least not now)

Come on. Black Sabbath (minus Bill) reunites and starts recording an album, and we're not supposed to have expectations? That's the cross you bear when you reunite and record an album. It would be the same for any band as big as Sabbath. You can try all you want to not have expectations, but recording a "reunion" album guarantees a level of expectation. It's unavoidable.

The album is completely forgettable. If I want to listen to Ozzy Sabbath, I'll listen to the earlier albums because they are leagues better. The Devil You Know is an album I still want to listen to, alongside Heaven And Hell, The Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer. That's why it'll always be the better album for me.

I agree that its fine that people have high expectations

Anyways, I've made my stance clear- I really do like the record. Great guitar work and the songs are cool. I do think it is a bit of a copy cat record at times, though.

1.End of the Beginning = Black Sabbath

2. God is Dead?

3. Loner = NIB

4. Zeitgeist = Planet Caravan

5. Age of Reason

6. Live Forever

7. Damaged Soul = The Warning

8. Dear Father

So, 4 songs on the album are really close in sound and structure to past songs. The other songs also bear a lot of similarities to their past stuff. So, I totally get that complain. Still, I think this is all good music. End of the Beginning has great guitar work, God is Dead? has a really cool second half. Loner is catchy with good musicianship. Zeitgeist is a good Planet Caravan ripoff. Age of Reason is one of their best songs in decades imo, the final solo is excellent. Live Forever is kind of forgettable. Damaged Soul is awesome, lots of awesome guitar and a good throwback to jammy Sabbath. Dear Father is the most Ozzy/newish sounding song and it grew on me.

I think 13 is way better than Forbidden and the Tony Martin stuff.

Have you heard the bonus tracks? Yikes

and i thought that you have some decent musical taste, lol

You actually like the bonus tracks?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not very hopeful. It was just a lifetime achievement award thing - of course they'd all be there if they were all invited (Barring Ozzy for the reasons BS stated).

You know you were around here when Guns got inducted into the RNRHOF, right? :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rock icon Tony Iommi has written a special piece of music for Birmingham Cathedral after he wanted to "give something back" to his home city.

The BLACK SABBATH lead guitarist, widely credited with creating the heavy metal music genre, worked with his friend the Dean of Birmingham, the Very Reverend Catherine Ogle, on the five-minute-long arrangement, which features lyrics performed by Birmingham Cathedral Choir.

Called "How Good It Is", the song features the BLACK SABBATH star on acoustic guitar, with lyrics inspired by Psalm 133.

Edited by Silent Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Longtime Black Sabbath keyboardist Geoff Nicholls, who was a member of the band between 1979 and 2004, passed away today following a battle with lung cancer. He was 68.

Mr. Nicholls performed on a total of 10 Sabbath albums, ranging from 1980's "Heaven and Hell" to 1995's "Forbidden."

The musician was reportedly in remission from cancer, but succumbed to the side effects of chemotherapy.

Tony Iommi stated: "I'm so saddened to hear the loss of one of my dearest and closest friends Geoff Nicholls. He's been suffering for a while now with lung cancer and he lost his battle this morning. Geoff and I have always been very close and he has been a real true friend to me and supported me all the way for nearly 40 years. I will miss him dearly and he will live in my heart until we meet again. Rest in peace, my dear friend."

Geezer Butler added: "Very sad to hear of old friend and Sabbath keyboard player Geoff Nicholls passing. RIP Geoff."

Tony Martin stated: "Saddened to hear of the passing of Geoff Nicholls ... keyboard player and friend from Sabbath .... Safe journey mate."

1 hour ago, Black Sabbath said:

Even though I highly doubt it, it'll be interesting to see if they play anything extra/different at the last show.

They did add Under The Sun back into the setlist that last few shows, so that's pretty cool. Sorry, @Powerage5.

Under The Sun is to me what TWAT is to @Amir. I'm just destined to never see it live <_<

• Like 1

Last thing you want is them to play on their final show/s is a bunch of songs that Ozzy has little chance of performing well.

Yeah, I wanna hear Symptom Of The Universe, Killing Yourself To Live and the like as much as the next but trying to sing those songs will just about kill Ozzy and it won't sound good.

A nice, long instrumental medley would be what I'd suggest.

10 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'm not even necessarily suggesting those, but the setlist from the O2 Academy in 2012 was nearly perfect. Add one or two songs from '13' as well as actually playing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and it's even better.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/black-sabbath/2012/o2-academy-birmingham-england-43df93a7.html

Agreed about the O2 Academy - by far the best setlist since the first reunion (Barring every Heaven & Hell setlist, of course :awesomeface:). If I saw a show with that set, I'd be extremely happy, regardless of performance quality.

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

'Till the re-re-reunion tour of 2020.

Out of interest, what was the last show with Bill Ward? I'd have rather have seen that.

They won't tour again.

Bill's last show with them was September 4th, 2005. Aside from them not playing The Wizard on this tour, the setlists were much better this tour than they were then.

They were pretty on-point in 2005 though.

26 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

They won't tour again.

Bill's last show with them was September 4th, 2005. Aside from them not playing The Wizard on this tour, the setlists were much better this tour than they were then.

They were pretty on-point in 2005 though.

I agree that they won't tour again, but I don't think they've played their last ever show.

2005 was by and large better than anything in the current reunion era IMO. Setlists were maybe a little better this tour, but the performances were far better in 2005. As far as setlists go though, the Birmingham 2012 shows is, bar none, the best Ozzy-era Sabbath setlist ever played. 

I saw the band in 2005, 2014, and 2016. 2005 was the best show, 2014 was the worst, and 2016 was somewhere in the middle. 

Well naturally they (Ozzy) was better 12 years ago, but honestly I think Ozzy has done a great job on this tour all things considered.

He's certainly sounded worse for no good reason (i.e. not sick, just bad), but the performances I've been watching here and there the last few weeks I've thought he's sounded pretty good, and that's not just the fan-boy talking. If I can admit when Axl sounds like trash, I can admit when Ozzy does too.