Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Snake Eyes

WOW!!! That is fucking heavenly!!!

It's one of those songs that builds and builds really slowly and really nicely and takes you to a place that's really nice to be! :D

I love it and will definitely be checking out the album. I have the chance to see him live on March 2 and think I will take advantage of the opportunity. Thank you so much for posting this!

:thumbsup:

Think I have to listen to it again, it's addictive and the build up is rolling around in my head! Can't believe I have to wait until Feb to get it for real. :lol:

I've (shamefully) only recently got into Nick Cave. It's always exciting when you get into an artist just as they are building up to a new album rather than having missed a cycle and finding out they are disappearing for a few years. It's especially rare when it's someone with a really extensive back catalogue to delve into that is still actually producing worthwhile material.

I might pick up one of his books too but as I've only got a couple of records I should probably go into his discography further first.

Really looking forward to this record though and hoping to catch him live too. Thanks for posting this. I had only heard We No Who U R.

Oh cool. I've not been an extensive listener of his music either in the past and would really like to start listening to him more. What do you suggest I start with? Dazey said that the Murder Ballads album is great so I'm going to give that a go. Anything else that I should focus on?

(Man, you say 'shamefully'! How do you think I feel? I live in the next suburb from him (when he's in Oz) and from time to time see him at the local shops and I've really liked some of his songs, but not really taken the time to listen to his less commercial stuff. I dunno, maybe it hasn't been the right time until now? But I'd love to hear more and also see him live when he play here in March :))

• 2 weeks later...

I gave some albums a try recently (by artists I've been meaning to check out but hadn't got round to), among them Tender Mercy, Murder Ballads and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I couldn't get into Tender Mercy (although I loved the opening track Mercy Seat) and I'm still not sure where Murder Ballads rates with me, but the latter is amazing, even just after 1.5 listenings.

• 3 weeks later...

The new album "Push The Sky Away" was released today and it's brilliant. It has a beautiful rhythmic quality to it and has some great lyrics that really resonates with me, the title track especially. And Jubilee Street is just one of the most sensual songs I've heard in a long time. I spend a lot of time walking and it's an awesome album to listen to while other thoughts tumble through your brain.

Favourite tracks are Jubilee Street, We No Who 'U 'R, Higgs Boson Blues and Push The Sky Away (especially that last one).

The last few nights I've spent hours listening to Nick Cave and he's really struck a chord with me right now. It seems I discovered him at just the right time because I couldn't relate to his music much in the past, but I hear it in a completely different way now (The Boatmans Call in particular). I love it when that happens. :)

I am in exactly the same boat (excuse the pun). The Boatman's Call was definitely my entry point into Nick Cave but I'm getting into some of the more hectic stuff too now and really enjoying that. He is some writer but also has a brilliant ability to sound a bit silly at times so as to not seem too melodramatic (or if he does, intentionally so.)

I've been listening to the new album while going for evening walks too. Jubilee Street is just heavenly but also wonderfully understated.

So far I've got Murder Ballads, Boatman's Call, Dig Lazarus Dig and now the new record. I'm kind of curious about the Grinderman records as I've heard they are pretty bonkers.

I saw Mark Lanegan is opening for Nick Cave on a few dates. Now that's a brilliant combination of dark voices.

Wow, that's cool, Chinaski. I've got the same ones as you except for Dig Lazarus Dig, haven't got that one yet. Did buy the 'Best Of' which is also great. I love some of his harder stuff too. In fact I love the fact that he'll do gentle, beautiful songs followed by the heavier stuff. Completely different in temperament, which shows two sides to his personality. I think most people have that but we rarely get to see that. He is a genuine artist.

The lyrics on the new album are amazing. Some are a bit cryptic and I'm intrigued to learn more about how he wrote them. Push The Sky Away is phenomenal to me. It's so dark and dramatic in sound but the message behind it is really uplifting and motivating. It's probably the most powerful song I've heard in a long, long time. Really speaks to me where I'm at in my life right now. :)

Going to see him on March 2. Can't wait.

Some are a bit cryptic and I'm intrigued to learn more about how he wrote them. Push The Sky Away is phenomenal to me. It's so dark and dramatic in sound but the message behind it is really uplifting and motivating. It's probably the most powerful song I've heard in a long, long time. Really speaks to me where I'm at in my life right now. :)

Agreed. It's a really unique skill to be able to be so limited with the words but capture so many things. The band on this record really do an amazing job of not taking over the songs but complimenting the feeling of the song entirely.

I just realised you are in Australia so you get one of the Lanegan/Cave dates. I could not be more jealous of you. I'm going to try and catch one of the Autumn UK dates but where I live now it takes so much planning to get anywhere I kind of have to plan a mini-holiday about it. For all I know I'll spend the next few months devouring every Nick Cave record and decide it's unthinkable that I don't make one of his gigs.

Some are a bit cryptic and I'm intrigued to learn more about how he wrote them. Push The Sky Away is phenomenal to me. It's so dark and dramatic in sound but the message behind it is really uplifting and motivating. It's probably the most powerful song I've heard in a long, long time. Really speaks to me where I'm at in my life right now. :)

Agreed. It's a really unique skill to be able to be so limited with the words but capture so many things. The band on this record really do an amazing job of not taking over the songs but complimenting the feeling of the song entirely.

I just realised you are in Australia so you get one of the Lanegan/Cave dates. I could not be more jealous of you. I'm going to try and catch one of the Autumn UK dates but where I live now it takes so much planning to get anywhere I kind of have to plan a mini-holiday about it. For all I know I'll spend the next few months devouring every Nick Cave record and decide it's unthinkable that I don't make one of his gigs.

Thanks! I'll be sure to make the most of it to be sure not waste an opportunity that someone else would love to see. I imagine he will do a great live show since the music is quite pared down at times. I'll let you know how it goes which may help you to decide if it's worth the effort. Unless he's a terrible performer (which I've never heard) I imagine it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Had THE most magical evening last night seeing Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds perform live at the Myer Music Bowl. The weather was perfect, 26 degrees celcius, not a cloud in sight, and the show was AMAZING! Started off with Mark Lanegan, which I loved. So chilled and mellow but still nicely melodic and really honest. He's not well known here but everyone responded really well.

Nick himself was SPECTACULAR! He was backed by his band plus the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and a children's choir from my local primary school, who he referred to as 'the kiddies'. So funny and they were brilliant. He did send the kiddies home for bed though about half way through so that he could get on with his more adult themed material. It would have been totally weird to have them on stage for Stagger Lee. :lol:

The first part of the show was all songs from the new album. Jubilee Street was breathtaking as was Higgs Boson Blues. Gave me chills up my spine. The MSO were really great for these songs and you should have seen them rocking out when he moved onto his earlier material, especially From Her To Eternity. That was intense rock n roll performed in a non-orthodox way. Typical Cave. :lol:

The crowd was amazing too. 25,000 people of all ages just having a great time under the stars. I had next to me a cute, little, grey haired lady who must have been 80 if she was a day, and she was totally getting down and jiving away throughout the whole show. Especially at Stagger Lee and Deanna! :lol: She was an inspiration and I vowed to be just like her in 40 years! So brilliant!

A pic from early evening:

ele8md.jpg

Totally jealous Red. That sounds great.

I read he did a show with some kids someplace but figured it was just a one off thing. Sounds very cool. I'm glad to hear they left halfway through as my first thought when I read it was it must limit the material he plays. Glad to hear that's not the case.

My Nick Cave track of the day is We Call Upon The Author simply for the line 'prolix prolix, nothing a pair of scissors can't fix.' Genius.

Edited by Chinaski

My Nick Cave track of the day is We Call Upon The Author simply for the line 'prolix prolix, nothing a pair of scissors can't fix.' Genius.

Fucking love it! Great line. I'm going to see how many times I can use it at work tomorrow (it can have a very literal meaning there). :lol: Its not like anyone there will know what it means and where it came from!

My Nick Cave track of the day is Wide Lovely Eyes. I always sigh when I hear him sing "The night expands, I am expanding, I watch your hands like butterflies landing". Beautiful.

• 8 months later...

Just listened to Push the Sky Away, my first experience with Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. What an amazing album! It was very subdued, but at the same time very listenable and didn't get too slow at any point. I kept putting off listening to that album for some reason, but damn it was great.

Went straight into listening to Your Funeral... My Trial immediately afterward, and this one's good too. Not as good as Push the Sky Away, but still good. A couple of really good tracks. "Long Time Man" is great. "The Carny" stood out as being pretty bad on this one, though.

Very much looking forward to going through their discography over the next few months. :)

Just listened to Push the Sky Away, my first experience with Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. What an amazing album! It was very subdued, but at the same time very listenable and didn't get too slow at any point. I kept putting off listening to that album for some reason, but damn it was great.

Went straight into listening to Your Funeral... My Trial immediately afterward, and this one's good too. Not as good as Push the Sky Away, but still good. A couple of really good tracks. "Long Time Man" is great. "The Carny" stood out as being pretty bad on this one, though.

Very much looking forward to going through their discography over the next few months. :)

Push The Sky Away really is incredible, isn't it? There's a mood to it, where if you're in that mood, nothing else speaks to you in quite the same way. I have his entire catalogue and its all great. Also check out his stuff released under 'Grinderman', brilliant as well. It has to be said though he has some real diversity to his material. He has experimented a lot and some of his stuff is very heavy and kind of twisted, whilst Push The Sky Away, The Boatmans Call and No More Shall We Part are really gentle and subtle.

My favourites aside from the above mentioned are The Lyre of Orpheus and Abattoir Blues. Murder Ballads is just awesome too. I'll never get sick of hearing Stagger Lee. :D

Push The Sky Away really is incredible, isn't it? There's a mood to it, where if you're in that mood, nothing else speaks to you in quite the same way. I have his entire catalogue and its all great. Also check out his stuff released under 'Grinderman', brilliant as well. It has to be said though he has some real diversity to his material. He has experimented a lot and some of his stuff is very heavy and kind of twisted, whilst Push The Sky Away, The Boatmans Call and No More Shall We Part are really gentle and subtle.

My favourites aside from the above mentioned are The Lyre of Orpheus and Abattoir Blues. Murder Ballads is just awesome too. I'll never get sick of hearing Stagger Lee. :D

After hearing "There She Goes, My Beautiful World" on the last page, I'm definitely checking out this album next. Freakin' amazing song.

And I'll make sure to check out Grinderman, too. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1