Live Era re-dubbed vocals?

rumandraisin

The ones where he re recorded his vocals stand out like a sore thumb and are very easily picked up.

Agreed. It's generally almost irritatingly obvious but then I guess most people who bought that record aren't as familiar with the changes year after year in Axl's delivery. They just think of him as that guy with the high voice so any high voice sounds about right. I like the clean voice on the end of Rocket Queen on Live Era a lot.

I haven't listened to it in years but from memory there's one point in Used To Love Her after one of the solos where he comes back in and in his new voice goes I used to LOVE HER and it really jars.

Axl did it out of his perfectionism. I'm just surprised he did it without editing for a decade. While I do enjoy imagining what Axl could have done live when he re-recorded those vocals for a true collection you just gotta' go to the bootlegs.

It's funny that Live Era could have been better without the re-done vocals and also some slash's re-done parts....

If you check the bootlegs for the original versions, you can see that his voice is in perfect condition...Don't understand why he did it, especially since his voice when he did re-record wasn't in the shape that it was in 1990-1992... it was already kinda micky mouse...

See IndiannaRose's very detailed post here :shades:

The only point of contention I have with IndiannaRose's post is Estranged. To me, it's obvious the WHOLE song was re-dubbed; from the first word it's clear they're his '99 vocals, and you can match it up with the Live from Tokyo vid the track is supposed to be from and hear him stop for breath in the actual live performance at certain points.

To me Don't Cry is about the only one which isn't butchered, though I quite like the WTTJ too.

See IndiannaRose's very detailed post here :shades:

The only point of contention I have with IndiannaRose's post is Estranged. To me, it's obvious the WHOLE song was re-dubbed; from the first word it's clear they're his '99 vocals, and you can match it up with the Live from Tokyo vid the track is supposed to be from and hear him stop for breath in the actual live performance at certain points.

To me Don't Cry is about the only one which isn't butchered, though I quite like the WTTJ too.

Later in the thread I corrected him on a few things, including Estranged. He deserves massive credit for putting that initial list together though.

I don't see the big deal about the re-recorded vocals and guitars. Didn't Kiss make a whole live album like this?

Yes, it's standard practice for live releases. Here it just stands out more because '99 Axl sounded different than '91-'92 Axl and so the change is more obvious, especially in songs where he only overdubbed parts of the vocals and left others alone. Then you can hear the big change between his vocals. For stuff like KISS Alive it would have been polished/fixed around the same time. Still, I like a lot of Live Era. Even though Nightrain was re-recorded, it's one of Axl's best vocal takes of it.

I loved the re-recorded vocals and I think they sound much better than the 92 live voice. Nowadays I think he's much better live on many parts of songs compared to how he sounded in the 90's.

you sir, are crazy.

Isn't it fair to say that he has a better scream nowadays, compared to the 90's?

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

• 1 year later...

i just relistened to live era and fuck i didnt know the history about of the redubbed and i saw the info in internet,but after listening some songs i thought wtf he sound a bit of mickey, didnt i remember how he sound in some parts of 90s?

What a fucking asshole! thats why i dindt like live era,i though the songs sounded weird and slow.

It's absolutely fucking disgusting and I wish the press had picked up on it at the time and tore him to pieces for it.

People are saying 'it's standard practice.' No it's NOT standard practice to re-record nearly all the vocals for an album and call it 'Live.'

And how ironic that he should make such a massive deal out of Flea performing to a pre-recorded backing track at the Superbowl, a really forgiveable shortcut, when he himself tried to pass off a studio album with masses of musical and vocal overdubs as live. I wish i'd remembered at the time because he deserved to be bombarded with thousands of #FakeEra tweets for that shit.

• Like 2