Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Xanax and Alcohol

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
A question:

If a person has been taking 1mg of Xanax 4x a day (every 6 hours) for three years therapeutically, and they don't at all abuse the Xanax at all--And have built up enough of a tolerance--would it be safe to drink a little? Not a lot, but a little bit of beer or vodka?

How long should they be spaced out?

Should I consider trying to drink grape juice (Grape juice apparently magnifies the effects of Xanax) first, to see how it reacts?

I ask because I feel like I'm missing out on having fun. Most people my age drink, get wild, have a good time within reasonable limits. I'm not talking about partying like Caligula but I feel constrained because of the medication I take.

Case in point my girlfriend turned 21 the other day and she got a little drunk on some vodka before she came home then we went out to dinner and she had a small glass of wine and I really wanted to partake as well and have a glass but couln't due to fear of what would happen if the Xanax and Alcohol mixed.

Edited by Vincent Vega, 02 February 2013 - 05:25 PM.

-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

Rustycage

Rustycage

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,712 posts
  • 23-March 04
:rofl-lol:

It's not like you're going to drink the whole bottle. Drink in moderation. You'll be fine and your new topic count won't be affected by you being too spacey.

you're so tough and manly.

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
Thing is I also take a heart medicine which also lowers blood pressure. So you'd have both Xanax, alcohol, and the heart medicine working in tandem on the CNS.

Though, I still run a fairly normal/high normal B/P rate even with the Xanax and heart medicine--average 120/80 or 110/70
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

arnold layne

arnold layne

hooray for tolerance!.

• SILVER
  • 13,886 posts
  • 17-November 06
Call the pharmaceuticalist.

I don't like games and fun

I don't like anyone

Rustycage

Rustycage

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,712 posts
  • 23-March 04
If you're that scared, don't do it or ask a doctor or pharmacist. Drink some apple juice or something.

Edited by Rustycage, 02 February 2013 - 05:32 PM.

you're so tough and manly.

Lithium

Lithium

Do you even Lith?

• SILVER
  • 22,868 posts
  • 09-October 05
Why don't you just google stuff like this, Miser? Or better yet, ask your doctor.

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 9,758 posts
  • 08-May 05
Because mygnr has countless MD's.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama

I WILL EAT YOUR PUPPY

• SILVER
  • 16,878 posts
  • 14-August 07
I used to enjoy valium with wine, now its oxycontin. Its all good as long as you're having fun. Doctors advice.

KILL LENNY.

He's fighting for ISIS.

The Sandman

The Sandman

King of Wishful Thinking

• SILVER
  • 26,893 posts
  • 26-September 05
We're practically House.

So you probably have lupus.
Posted Image

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 9,758 posts
  • 08-May 05
I know plenty of people that pop Xanny bars and drink a fifth. They aren't dead. Maybe you should ask your doctor if being on so many medications is really necessary.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• SILVER
  • 9,449 posts
  • 12-July 12

A question:

If a person has been taking 1mg of Xanax 4x a day (every 6 hours) for three years therapeutically, and they don't at all abuse the Xanax at all--And have built up enough of a tolerance--would it be safe to drink a little? Not a lot, but a little bit of beer or vodka?

Should I consider trying to drink grape juice (Grape juice apparently magnifies the effects of Xanax) first, to see how it reacts?

I ask because I feel like I'm missing out on having fun. Most people my age drink, get wild, have a good time within reasonable limits. I'm not talking about partying like Caligula but I feel constrained because of the medication I take.

Case in point my girlfriend turned 21 the other day and she got a little drunk on some vodka before she came home then we went out to dinner and she had a small glass of wine and I really wanted to partake as well and have a glass but couln't due to fear of what would happen if the Xanax and Alcohol mixed.

My doctor told me not to take Xanax too often as it is very addictive, so your description of taking it for 'therapeutic' reasons sounds a bit bizarre to me. And the idea of not abusing it "at all" is hard to equate to a drug that is addictive. It's a very strong medication and I don't think substances like alcohol should be mixed with it. If you want to have a drink you should wean yourself off the Xanax under doctors supervision.

Georgy Zhukov

Georgy Zhukov

Marshal of the Soviet Union

• SILVER
  • 16,182 posts
  • 13-August 11

Call the pharmaceuticalist.

Do you mean pharmacist?

Roush

Roush

GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • 11-May 11

A question:

Dude...
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
- C.S. Lewis

#free_diceman

Redhead74

Redhead74

FRONTWOMAN

• SILVER
  • 9,449 posts
  • 12-July 12

I know plenty of people that pop Xanny bars and drink a fifth. They aren't dead. Maybe you should ask your doctor if being on so many medications is really necessary.

Yeah, exactly. I know many people that take it in conjunction with other drugs and are definitely drinking with it. They are all alive and actually venture out of the house every day to do their jobs without any disastrous consequences.

saber_

saber_

Axl Internet PR

• SILVER
  • 6,267 posts
  • 04-January 09
4mg of Xanax a day? Holy sheep shit. Have you heard of tardive dyskinesia?

"THEN COME ON NOW LET'S GOOO OOOO OOOO  OOOO OOOO!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users