What was your/the general reaction to YCBM?

Vincent Vega

While Civil War and KOHD had been released in the summer of 1990 as GN'R's first singles of the 1990s, You Could Be Mine was GN'R's first proper single promoting the UYI albums, released in July 1991, tied in with Terminator 2--The biggest film of the summer of 1991, which would go on to be the highest grossing film that year. The song played prominently, multiple times, in an early part of the film, and played out the credits, and had a music video which also greatly referenced the film playing all over MTV.

How did you react to YCBM when it was first released? It was basically GN'R's real "comeback" single, the first official UYI single.

What was the general reaction, by this I mean the reaction amongst GN'R fans, rock/metal music fans and music fans in general, to YCBM, as well?

My reaction was: hell yes! Although I was disappointed when Terminator 2 came out, and some of the footage in the YCBM video did not appear in the theatrical release.

I found this a few weeks ago. Pretty cool. I had never seen it before.

Here's the video's description.

Mark Racco's original GNR performance off-line cut, before movie and concept footage from TERMINATOR 2 were added. VERY RARE

Edited by brainsaber

Although I wasn't a fan when it came out (I was 4) I just felt I needed to add, THIS was the song that got me into GNR. I'd heard SCOM loads of times before, and that was really the only song I'd heard (I knew WTTJ but didn't know it was by GNR) but back on Kerrang in '99 they showed this video and I thought it was amazing! After that I went out n bought Use Your Illusion II right off the back of hearing that one song and loved it. Then I got Appetite.

It might be this reason why a) I think UYI II is the best album and b) I've never really been satisfied by a live performance of YCBM (both eras!) I think the only time I enjoyed a version of it was Paris '92. I really really dislike the new band doing it.

Edited by Binge_And_Slash

I waited by the radio to tape it. So i was pretty excited and then drum intro and boom. Yep their back. Same with with Rext Next Door to Hell.

But after that I struggled to find anything similar to AFD. Live n Let Die and Pretty tied up and Double Talkin jive, Bad Obsession. But over the years it bevame about the epics. Locomotive and Dont Damn me being the growers. I put Rndth, perfect, garden of eden, shotgun on a tape to play in the car.

Eventually I realized Dust n Bones, 14 Years and Yesterdays are great songs.

I think YCBM being in Terminator 2, and Arnold being in the video helped the song ALOT. It just fits the movie like a glove, and if you never knew any better, you would think it was wrote almost for the film. I think it would be extremely advantagous for GN'R to do this again, to have one of their songs closely linked with an up and coming huge hollywood action hit...

I swear you've asked this very question before. And you asked the same thing about OMG....

YCBM was HUGE. It was a massive radio/MTV hit. It was everywhere and everyone loved it. I had the cassette single and listened to it over and over. GNR was simply the biggest band in the universe in 1991 and this song was a big part of the reason why.

OMG had the opposite effect. It was not promoted other than a blurb on MTV news and a TV ad for the movie. The movie flopped. The song flopped harder. People either didn't care or didn't know about it, and the handful of people that DID hear it didn't like it.

Hardcore GNR fans like myself that were desperate for new GNR songs no doubt loved it, but even I had to mask my disappointment with the fact that Axl's signature vocals were buried in fuzz and distortion. Didn't sound enough like Axl.

Anyway, on topic.....YCBM was a smashing success.

My reaction was: hell yes! Although I was disappointed when Terminator 2 came out, and some of the footage in the YCBM video did not appear in the theatrical release.

I found this a few weeks ago. Pretty cool. I had never seen it before.

Here's the video's description.

Mark Racco's original GNR performance off-line cut, before movie and concept footage from TERMINATOR 2 were added. VERY RARE

Awesome, had never seen that version of the video until now. They should have added that version to "Welcome to the Videos" since they left out the finished video due to copyright infringement.

i saw t2 before i was a gn'r fan (i think i saw that film at a very early age) and it was strange because, when i started getting into gn'r, i remember hearing the song and vaguely recognizing it. took me a bit to connect the dots. funny how that stuff makes a subliminal impact at an early age.

it's still one of my favourite gn'r tunes. kind of represents everything great about the band, and axl's writing: the paranoia, the anger, the frustration, the fury. his vocals kick ass, izzy plays a mean rhythm, slash has a sick solo and the drumming fits the style of the tune. i consider 'i.r.s.' to be a spiritual sequel.

YCBM was my first exposure to GN'R, and like many it was from the T2 movie.

I remember i recorded the movie on VHS when it came on tv when i was a kid and while i didn't even really notice the song during the bike riding scene when the film reached the credits i loved the song and would keep rewinding so i could listen to it over and over again. I didn't even know who GN'R were, all i knew was i loved the song.

It's funny when i look back on it, i like the song but no where near as much as when i was a kid, probably because it was the only GN'R song i heard at the time and i didn't discover appetite and the illusions until years later.

I thought: hell yes, Awesome!!!!!!

Besides, my parents hated it, win win!

(btw, I didn't care much for the slow GNR songs in those days, that's why I really liked this one)

Edited by MBRose

loved it. thought was absolutely awesome. had heard jungle, paradise, scom before and liked them, but seeing YCBM on MTV with T2 footage sealed GN'R for me. This is also when I realized Axl was the coolest person alive. That year, that youth... great summer.

Nearly died once (or seriously injured self) because of this song. Be me, in shower, song playing. Attempt a David Lee Roth-style jump after build up. Unsuccessful and slip. Caught foot in shower curtain and I guess I landed properly somehow. Close call.

This part,singed like it has to be singed is the essence of Guns n Roses.

While you're breakin' down my back n'

I been rackin' out my brain

It don't matter how we make it

'Cause it always ends the same

You can push it for more mileage

But your flaps r' wearin' thin

And I could sleep on it 'til mornin'

But this nightmare never ends

Don't forget to call my lawyers

With ridiculous demands

An you can take the pity so far

But it's more than I can stand