Can someone help me pick out a dress?

Guest bellastar2355

Just got back from work so here goes...

Why is it only the girls on here that decide that it looks slutty/trashy etc?

Because we're the ones who'll tell it like it is. You male folk are too busy not blinking and forgetting to wipe the dribble from your chins. :rolleyes:

What a complete and utter load of bollocks. Aside from the fact that you're being sexist, I would say it's equally likely that your/a woman's view is marred by biases such as jealousy (you can't get away with a dress like that/you're too scared) than it is that a male can't think clearly because he sees an attractive women in a dress.

Why would my thinking be so obscured by the photos/post when I've never even met the girl in question, or the OP for that matter? Don't insult my intelligence to suggest something so ridiculous.

I'm always incredibly dubious about a company who's name suggests an admirable attribute vs. their ability to actually deliver on that attribute. For instance, Quality Inn or Quality Hotel will most likely not be delivering the kind of 'quality' standards that perhaps Claridges, the Ritz or The Waldorf will deliver.

And so I come to sexydresses.com. Sorry, but a quick glance at their website confirmed my suspicions about the dresses not really being very 'sexy'. Wow, they're cheap though! The most expensive dress was $64.95, with some as low as $19.95. 'Cheap' I think is the operative word here.

Wow, I'm sorry that not everybody can afford either a custom made dress, or a designer one just for a single night out. Just because you know how to sew and cut up bits of fabric doesn't entitle you to belittle every body else's fashion choices. Especially when the OP (nor anybody else) really even asked your opinion on the quality of the dresses. She asked you to pick one, not offer a critique based on the company's name and/or pricing structure.

dress5.jpg

Although I think I prefer A out of all of them. But if you're between C and D, pick C. ^

The model's gorgeous but am I the only person here who thinks that her dress is about three sizes too small? She's got a great figure but that actually makes her look fat. :shrugs:

THANK YOU!

I'd be fired if I sent a girl away with a dress fitting like that! :rolleyes:

I too thought it was a little tight, but that didn't affect my ability to make a decision on whether I liked the style or not. Again, nobody asked you to brag about how brilliant you are at your job.

You never put satin on a fat arse. *shakes head*

Thanks. Maybe you should write to the company to offer your input. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they don't have very many models available to model their clothes. (Evident by the fact that the same girl is wearing all of the dresses).

Jesus Aaron, you're hilarious. So it's not OK for me to give my opinion regarding the topic at hand (usually saying WHY you don't like something goes hand in hand with saying WHAT you don't like) but its OK for you to trash me for having an opinion in the first place? :lol: At least my comments were on topic. :rolleyes:

Additionally, you should learn to read because I've already stated that my reference to the dresses being cheap was a double entendre because the look was as low in style as it was in price. I never suggested that she should spend a fortune, nor have I ever said that I do. :shrugs:

Also, your arrogance is deplorable for suggesting that I should write to the company for my input. I'm sorry, I was just giving my opinion which I'm just as entitled to do as you are, however it appears that you are allowed to be an arrogant prick, but I'm not even allowed to offer an opinion whether its offered in an arrogant manner or not. :lol:

I would say it's equally likely that your/a woman's view is marred by biases such as jealousy (you can't get away with a dress like that/you're too scared)

Oh I just saw this! I missed it before. :rofl-lol:

This comment shows how little you know me. Back in my clubbing days I had an outfit just like this which I wore with a long red wig. Emma Peel was a style icon for me and I always thought it was much sexier to cover skin rather than have it all hanging out.

29digs7.jpg

... Especially when the OP (nor anybody else) really even asked your opinion on the quality of the dresses. She asked you to pick one, not offer a critique based on the company's name and/or pricing structure.

+1

I was gonna say, why are we harassing the poor girl on her fashion sense when she just asked us to PICK a dress from the selection that she provided in the OP. But looking her recent posts, it seems that she doesn't mind... so whatever.

Anyway, from what I've seen in the past, if a person has the body/looks and attitude they can pull off any outfit and make it look like a fashion statement. Its not what you wear but how you wear it. I know some people that can make a potato sack look good. :shrugs:

Jesus Aaron, you're hilarious. So it's not OK for me to give my opinion regarding the topic at hand (usually saying WHY you don't like something goes hand in hand with saying WHAT you don't like) but its OK for you to trash me for having an opinion in the first place? :lol: At least my comments were on topic. :rolleyes:

You could at least have been tactful. Similarly, I don't think saying that men are unable to make rational decisions when confronted with a woman in a dress was any more or less on topic than my reply to it. I wasn't trashing you having an opinion, I was trashing your obnoxious way in putting it forward. To me, you just come across as thinking you're better than everybody else whenever fashion comes into play.

Additionally, you should learn to read because I've already stated that my reference to the dresses being cheap was a double entendre because the look was as low in style as it was in price. I never suggested that she should spend a fortune, nor have I ever said that I do. :shrugs:

I replied to those posts as soon as I read them, I hadn't read through the entire thread yet. I guess I didn't expect you to U-turn so quickly.

Also, your arrogance is deplorable for suggesting that I should write to the company for my input. I'm sorry, I was just giving my opinion which I'm just as entitled to do as you are, however it appears that you are allowed to be an arrogant prick, but I'm not even allowed to offer an opinion whether its offered in an arrogant manner or not. :lol:

It's arrogant to suggest that you should offer a company your input, since you clearly seem to think you know better than they do? I'm sorry honey, but I'm not the one being arrogant there. You are.

My whole post was directed at the way you talk down to people whenever fashion is the topic of discussion. We get it, you work in the industry. That doesn't give you the right to act like a jackass though.

I would say it's equally likely that your/a woman's view is marred by biases such as jealousy (you can't get away with a dress like that/you're too scared)

Oh I just saw this! I missed it before. :rofl-lol:

This comment shows how little you know me. Back in my clubbing days I had an outfit just like this which I wore with a long red wig. Emma Peel was a style icon for me and I always thought it was much sexier to cover skin rather than have it all hanging out.

29digs7.jpg

Harping back to the wonder days of yesteryear?

I would like to hope that if the OP is going to consider the dresses she posted, she can at least pull off the look. Nobody cares about what you wore in the early 1980s. Times have changed.

Edited by Aaron_H

^ Well I'd hardly have worn that when I was 8 years old would I? I thought you were a scientist but it appears you can't even count! :lol:

BTW, it's not called 'harping back to the wonder years of yesteryear'. It's called 'vintage fashion' and it's a multi million dollar industry. Best not to comment on things you know nothing about Mr. Scientist. Oooh, there I go again, being patronising as usual!

Boo hoo! Maybe you should just toughen the fuck up? :rolleyes:

... Especially when the OP (nor anybody else) really even asked your opinion on the quality of the dresses. She asked you to pick one, not offer a critique based on the company's name and/or pricing structure.

+1

I was gonna say, why are we harassing the poor girl on her fashion sense when she just asked us to PICK a dress from the selection that she provided in the OP. But looking her recent posts, it seems that she doesn't mind... so whatever.

Except that this is an INTERNET FORUM, where topics posted generate DISCUSSION. Usually after you state WHAT you think, a justification as to WHY follows. This is really the last time I'm going to say this. Unfortunately it appears that many posters here are incapable of reading so things need to be stated multiple times to get a simple point across. :rolleyes:

Just in case you missed my FIRST post (which I assume is the case as you wouldn't have made the above comment if you had), here it is AGAIN:

None. They aren't sexy, they're slutty. There's a big difference. Not that there's anything wrong with that it just depends what look you're going for and a sexy dress sends out a very different message to a slutty one. One means you look sexy and stylish, the other cheap and common.

^ Well I'd hardly have worn that when I was 8 years old would I? I thought you were a scientist but it appears you can't even count! :lol:

BTW, it's not called 'harping back to the wonder years of yesteryear'. It's called 'vintage fashion' and it's a multi million dollar industry. Best not to comment on things you know nothing about Mr. Scientist. Oooh, there I go again, being patronising as usual!

Boo hoo! Maybe you should just toughen the fuck up? :rolleyes:

Forgive me for making either a typo or arithmetic mistake first thing in a morning. Considering the amount of math I have to do on the average day, I think I can be forgiven for that.

Still, if you want to pick fault with such trivial things, I could always do the same. I said "wonder days of yesteryear" not "wonder years of yesteryear". I guess now would be a great time to throw in a typical Redhead-like remark such as "learn to read".

I don't give a fuck whether it's vintage fashion or not, nobody asked you what clothes you wore when you were young. Like I said, times have changed and the OP doesn't need to hear you banging on about how a woman shouldn't show her ankles because it's not proper. If the OP likes those dresses, let her pick one.

Like I said, I couldn't care less about our differences of opinion. I do care about you treating people with respect when you do post.

+1

Anyway, from what I've seen in the past, if a person has the body/looks and attitude they can pull off any outfit and make it look like a fashion statement. Its not what you wear but how you wear it. I know some people that can make a potato sack look good. :shrugs:

200% agree with this.

29digs7.jpg

Harping back to the wonder days of yesteryear?

I would like to hope that if the OP is going to consider the dresses she posted, she can at least pull off the look. Nobody cares about what you wore in the early 1980s. Times have changed.

Times have changed... fortunately!! :lol:

Though that suit would be great for me next week... you know, it's carnival over here and I need a disguise. Though I'm almost sure I will go as Super Mario (I don't even need to buy a moustache :awesomeface: )

Guest bellastar2355

+1

Thanks again to everyone who offered their opinions on the dresses, and thank you to the people that came to my defense about them.

I don't mind if people want to criticize my taste in dresses, call them cheap, tacky or as someone so politely put it, atrocious. Because I like them. I'm glad people on this forum have better taste then I do, but my taste is my taste. A reason it doesn't bother me is because I will buy my cheap and tacky dress, accessorize it my way and look amazing and get compliments all night, feel good and have a great time. I'm not a size 0. I'm thick. For a long time I tried so hard to be as skinny as possible but I was killing myself for no reason. I have learned to appreciate my body. I might not be as curvy as the model, but I know when a dress is gonna fit my body right. It took a long time, but I've learned. If you didn't like the dresses, that's fine, ARQ even offered a suggestion. I just felt the thread got a little weird at times (especially when criticizing the model, who I think looks amazing in those dresses.) But that's just my two cents. :D