Rush

username

If 2112 sounds dated, then try some of their more "modern" albums with a different sound. Maybe Counterparts or even their newest one, Clockwork Angels. I recommend both. But, if you're hoping to get into the Rush that most people adore, then yes, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings are a good bet.

Edited by Zeppelin

If you think 2112 sounds dated, wait until you hear Power Windows :lol:

There's a lot of starting points with Rush:

- Rush - A very straight-forward, no bullshit rock album. No prog whatsoever here

- Fly By Night - The beginning of their traditional, prog sound, but still heavy emphasis on the rock aspect

- A Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres - Their proggiest albums. Prepare yourself for 20 minute songs, non-traditional song structures, and total self indulgence

- Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures - Much more straight forward, easily their most "classic" albums

- Hold Your Fire - A very 80's album with lots of synth, but killer songs

- Clockwork Angels - Modern Rush, can't really think of a way to categorize their current sound. Pretty heavy, a bit of prog, and this is arguably their strongest album since Moving Pictures

Really, the only place I'd avoid starting is the 80's albums, except for maybe HYF. The 80's stuff is great, but is the hardest to get into from my experience.

Fly By Night was my first Rush album, and as soon as I heard Anthem, I was blown away. But then I got A Farewell to Kings, and was blown away even more :lol: So it was easy for me.

The 80s albums from Grade Under Pressure to Presto may be a challenge to get into if you get into their 70s material first. But that's how I got into them, and 80s Rush just flowed very well into my playlists once I got going. Now I love 80s Rush even more than the 70s.

And yes, Power Windows is such an 80s sounding album, so definitely get the remaster. Also has some of the band's best playing, IMO.

I love all eras of rush but the 70s is my favorite. I recommend starting with a farewell to kings and moving pictures

Fly By Night was my first Rush album, and as soon as I heard Anthem, I was blown away. But then I got A Farewell to Kings, and was blown away even more :lol: So it was easy for me.

The 80s albums from Grade Under Pressure to Presto may be a challenge to get into if you get into their 70s material first. But that's how I got into them, and 80s Rush just flowed very well into my playlists once I got going. Now I love 80s Rush even more than the 70s.

And yes, Power Windows is such an 80s sounding album, so definitely get the remaster. Also has some of the band's best playing, IMO.

Holly shit lol. Anthem was one of my first rush tunes. Got me hooked

I love all Rush, but it is hard to beat the string of albums from 2112 up till Power Windows. You have 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows - that is an incredible marathon of albums to release!

I also think that their most recent albums Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels are amazing. From the 90's era IMO Counterparts is criminally underrated

If you can try and find the original issued non-remastered CD's for any album after Carees of Steel. I found a lot of them at a record store I frequent for like 4 bucks a piece and they sound better balanced and more dynamic than the remasters

Edited by WhazUp

It took me years to warm up to 80's Rush, the yuppie-rock years (as we called it back then).

I lost touch after Moving Pictures.

The Pass caught my ear and I gradually started to rediscover.

Got back into the live shows when I saw the 30th Anniversary tour in Montreal.

Honestly, Rush is a band that I was never able to get in to.

I honestly just can't stand Geddy Lee's voice.

Ha! Yeah at first listen (yesterday) the high pitched screams bothered me a little. But I hated Plant's voice at first too. So I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the tips guys! Will listen to some of them at work today. :)

Tried All The Worlds Stage and Moving Pictures. I do love the instrumentation, especially live. Geddy's voice is still so-so for me. Good at some times, but just a little annoying at other times. I still have that dated feel at times though, don't like that. We'll see how it goes.

Heard the cover of Anthem and I like it. Bit of a strain on Joey's vocals, but that's okay. At least he puts a full effort into it.

He was completely anti-doing Anthem solely because of the vocals, he said it was one of the craziest things he's ever recorded. The rest of the EP is really cool too though...just wait until you hear their Journey cover!

It took me years to warm up to 80's Rush, the yuppie-rock years (as we called it back then).

I lost touch after Moving Pictures.

The Pass caught my ear and I gradually started to rediscover.

Got back into the live shows when I saw the 30th Anniversary tour in Montreal.

The Pass is one of my favorite Rush songs, I was so glad to finally see it live last year! Presto is a criminally underrated album.

Tried All The Worlds Stage and Moving Pictures. I do love the instrumentation, especially live. Geddy's voice is still so-so for me. Good at some times, but just a little annoying at other times. I still have that dated feel at times though, don't like that. We'll see how it goes.

Geddy's vocals are a bit of an acquired taste, definitely. If you're really loving the instrumental work though, check out La Villa Strangiato. It's a 10 minute instrumental, and it's just absolutely insane.