Australia sends New GNR a message.....Not interested.

Schnippy

Try a little experiment with people that aren't big gnr fans.Play something from the old Tokyo shows or other old gnr live vids on youtube from the old band,then show them some of the vids from this show.Any guesses to what most of those people would say sounds better vocally?

Edited by cbgnr

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a little experiment with people that aren't big gnr fans.Play something from the old Tokyo shows or other old gnr live vids on youtube from the old band,then show them some of the vids from this show.Any guesses to what most of those people would say sounds better vocally?

I think some people might chose this one. From the camera angle you get a really good mix of vocals with good reverb off of the back of the venue and thousands of fans singing along. In Tokyo you have a direct sound source and Axl's voice was pretty shot at that show if I remember. I remember Axl's voice being a little shot at that Tokyo show.

I think some people might chose this one. From the camera angle you get a really good mix of vocals with good reverb off of the back of the venue and thousands of fans singing along. In Tokyo you have a direct sound source and Axl's voice was pretty shot at that show if I remember. I remember Axl's voice being a little shot at that Tokyo show.

You have problems.

People sometimes forget that Axl's voice had different kinds of problems during the UYI tours. Sometimes it was too scratchety (raspy), and lacked a melodic underpinning. Back then, sometimes he was too gritty.

It's interesting though how certain fans romanticize anything and everything from the old days. Hey I ADMIT, I don't like the Mickey Mouse voice any more than the rest of you. But sometimes- Axl is using a clean voice, and some people will call it Mickey when it's not. There's a distinction between Mickey and clean, although they can of course overlap.

Well considering from pictures I've seen parts off the arena were curtained off I wouldn't exactly start acting like GNR sold the place out in 10 minutes.

Also, thousands of seats remain unsold for the next show.

I'm not taking sides but people shouldn't be surprised GNR got a few thousand people inside a building, at the same times it's a shame GNR can't sell out arenas anymore. God knows how bad it's gonna be in 5 years. If they are still active.

another shitty post...and another ballsucker ..lol...how do you know there are thousands unsold places for another show...in 2002 people talking shit whick you talkin in 2013,but they are huge...

Hahahah he is at it again!! I'm really liking his member ;)

People sometimes forget that Axl's voice had different kinds of problems during the UYI tours. Sometimes it was too scratchety (raspy), and lacked a melodic underpinning. Back then, sometimes he was too gritty.

It's interesting though how certain fans romanticize anything and everything from the old days. Hey I ADMIT, I don't like the Mickey Mouse voice any more than the rest of you. But sometimes- Axl is using a clean voice, and some people will call it Mickey when it's not. There's a distinction between Mickey and clean, although they can of course overlap.

Nice post, brainsaber.

I think it's easy to romanticize the shows from the old days because even when the voice wasn't top notch, Axl almost always had this sort of magical energy to him. He's older now. I understand that. All the same, the energy is not comparable. You're right, though. There were issues with his voice in the old days. I remember being underwhelmed by his voice on a number of occasions.

And you're right about there being a distinction between Mickey and clean. The problem for me is that I hate Mickey and don't like clean. :no:

another shitty post...and another ballsucker ..lol...how do you know there are thousands unsold places for another show...in 2002 people talking shit whick you talkin in 2013,but they are huge...

It tastes good, don't it? ;)

Watched Bon Jovi before two years.Axl voice is much much better than Jons voice...Also watched Acdc,Metallica and Kiss...Axl is better than those bands singers...Maybe he isn't on 1992 level but he is high class act.

Completely 100% agree.

Well considering from pictures I've seen parts off the arena were curtained off I wouldn't exactly start acting like GNR sold the place out in 10 minutes.

I'm not taking sides but people shouldn't be surprised GNR got a few thousand people inside a building, at the same times it's a shame GNR can't sell out arenas anymore. God knows how bad it's gonna be in 5 years. If they are still active.

Well You aren't d...succker Young Gun,but as I can see You don't like my posts.. I just don't understand so negative topics

Well You aren't d...succker Young Gun,but as I can see You don't like my posts.. I just don't understand so negative topics

No no, I like your posts buddy, I think they are funny hehe :)

Watched Bon Jovi before two years.Axl voice is much much better than Jons voice...Also watched Acdc,Metallica and Kiss...Axl is better than those bands singers...Maybe he isn't on 1992 level but he is high class act.

Completely 100% agree.

Yeah, I don't know about Jon, he is still pretty good live. And there's Sambora, which is a great plus that Guns N' Roses lacks.

No no, I like your posts buddy, I think they are funny hehe :)

Ok.thanks

Completely 100% agree.
Yeah, I don't know about Jon, he is still pretty good live. And there's Sambora, which is a great plus that Guns N' Roses lacks.
Yeah I like Sambora too.He is amazing guitarist and performer.But Jon can not sing anymore...On the other hand Ron,Richard and other guya are amazing too.They aren't lacks

Completely 100% agree.

LOL!!! Yes, Axl IS a technically better singer than Brian Johnson, James Hetfield and Paul Stanley but what gets to people is the difference between young and old Axl's voice. The other 3 you mention are MUCH closer to their old singing abilities.

Completely 100% agree.

LOL!!! Yes, Axl IS a technically better singer than Brian Johnson, James Hetfield and Paul Stanley but what gets to people is the difference between young and old Axl's voice. The other 3 you mention are MUCH closer to their old singing abilities.

Paul Stanley really only started getting super rough in the last couple of years too at the age of 60. At 51 (Axl's age now), Paul still had it. One hell of a vocal range and tons of power.

Brian Johnson is a freak of nature. On the Black Ice tour he sounded the best he has since 1991. Sure, the band tuned to E-flat but still, he could nail it on any given night.

Hetfield sings cleaner nowadays, so I think his vocal change is most comparable to Axl's.

Completely 100% agree.

Paul Stanley really only started getting super rough in the last couple of years too at the age of 60. At 51 (Axl's age now), Paul still had it. One hell of a vocal range and tons of power.

Brian Johnson is a freak of nature. On the Black Ice tour he sounded the best he has since 1991. Sure, the band tuned to E-flat but still, he could nail it on any given night.

Hetfield sings cleaner nowadays, so I think his vocal change is most comparable to Axl's.

I think Axl could benefit a lot if the band tuned the songs down.

This becomes even more impressive when you consider how rough he sounded on the Stiff Upper Lip tour.

Definitely. He wasn't sounding good at all on that tour. When they did a handful of shows in 2003 he sounded better, but come 2008 he somehow matched his rasp and power from 1991. One hell of a turn around, especially for a man in his sixties.

This becomes even more impressive when you consider how rough he sounded on the Stiff Upper Lip tour.

Mansin, old buddy - good to see you post :)

BJ has good claim to being the most powerful voice in metal/hard rock around '80-'83. I think that for raw power and singing in that screaming style, he could have screamed down anyone. But, all the years of smoking tens or maybe hundreds of cigs killed his voice by Stiff Upper Lip. However, there were exceptions - around that time, when he toured again with Geordie, he sounded pretty decent - there's a youtube video of him covering Led Zepp with them and he sounds really, really good. Also, if you listen to him singing during AC/DC's HOF induction, he just kills it - both Highway to hell and You Shook Me all Night Long. In fact, on YSMANL, BJ was singing with Steven Tyler who sounded like a schoolgirl while struggling to keep up with him.

But, more to the point, Brian Johnson is one of the reasons that I'm really hopeful about Axl being able to come out of his rough patch. While BJ doesn't sound anywhere near his peak ('80-'83) or even at the early 90's Razor's edge level, he sounded pretty good on Black Ice - both the album and the tour. Considering that he's a good 15 years older than Axl, if Axl can find some inspiration and put his head to it, he can turn around his fitness and the rough patches in his singing. But, cutting down the cigs and keeping healthy would be an essential part of that journey, me thinks.

It tastes good, don't it? ;)

:lol::lol: :lol:

Young Gun - you gotta admit, after all the grammar flag waving, you scored an own/self goal with that spelling mistake :tongue2:

Definitely. He wasn't sounding good at all on that tour. When they did a handful of shows in 2003 he sounded better, but come 2008 he somehow matched his rasp and power from 1991. One hell of a turn around, especially for a man in his sixties.

Exactly...very, very impressive. Both BJ and Axl have naturally deep voices but, Axl has more of an impressive range....and as much as I really, really love BJ, Axl can probably outdo him on ANY Bon Scott original that he chooses to cover.