Guns N Roses Live From the 02 Arena - VH1 Broadcast Discussion

iftheworld

Man, I checked the channel listing for VH1 Classic and didn't see it listed so I didn't double check last night :(. So wanted to hear is audio wise it was a better mix than the screener that was posted. Anyone have any feedback regarding that?

The audio and the video from the screener could have been mixed a lot better. It must be difficult mixing three guitars and all the effects and noises that Dizzy and Chris make.

Video wise I thought it was weird they were shooting fans taking iphone videos and pics. Maybe it was cool for a shot, but they just kept going back to it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

T

That would be awesome, but I highly doubt it. After watching the concert again last night, I honestly think Axl and GNR won't be making anymore new music again. It's just a feeling I had and I hope to God I'm wrong, because I think if Axl really wants to move ahead with this band, he needs to trust them and himself to release new songs together. Axl and GNR are too young and talented to waste their time singing old classics for the rest of their days.

I'd be depressed if there isn't anymore new music made.
Yeah, I agree but Axl doesn't seem in any hurry to do anything new. When asked about new music, he never really gives a real answer. Axl is very talented and so are the new members of GNR, so I think after awhile they will also want to make new music or move on without Axl. I'm sure it's hard to get the chemistry to write new songs with new people, but other bands are doing it.

A7X lost Jimmy The Rev Sullivan, yet they now have a new drummer, who they are wwriting and recording new music with. when the Rev died, it was like losing their brother and you can't replace family, yet these guys did go on because it's what they do best. Time will tell how the new album goes, but I give them credit for trying to forge ahead.

It's been over 20+ years since the original members have gone, so what could Axl be waiting for? The more the years go by, the more it seems to me like he just doesn't have it in him to begin writing and recording again. Very sad indeed.

You can't hear dj's guitar in the mix. Maybe that's why it never got a major release?

If anything that would encourage the possiblity of a major release.

I expected some dj trashing with my comment, but actually it hurts the whole band because it feels like every song is missing guitar parts. If I was just a casual fan and didn't know better I would think the band is really missing slash's parts. You can hear him better in some songs, while others you can't hear him at all. I would bet money that's why this show didn't get a big dvd release. Unless vh1 did it, can you say controversay?

You can't hear dj's guitar in the mix. Maybe that's why it never got a major release?

If anything that would encourage the possiblity of a major release.

I expected some dj trashing with my comment, but actually it hurts the whole band because it feels like every song is missing guitar parts. If I was just a casual fan and didn't know better I would think the band is really missing slash's parts. You can hear him better in some songs, while others you can't hear him at all. I would bet money that's why this show didn't get a big dvd release. Unless vh1 did it, can you say controversay?

It's like any movie that is edited for TV, the post production company handles cutting up and censoring the footage. VH1 just airs what they get.

I just think if someone's instrument was low, it was probably that way at the concert, unless someone from the band insisted to take it out altogether. It could be any number of factors starting from the stage and ending in the editing room.

Was an absolute failure tonight. They were just set back twenty plus years. Only one CD song are you kidding me? This was their chance to showcase Chinese Democracy on Television. They skipped Better, This I love, Street of Dreams, and Maddy. What the hell? They didn't even show 14 Years, Estranged, Civil War, or Rocket Queen. Now I love watching Guns on tv no matter what and I realise there are older people out there wanting the classics but honestly, fuck Palladia and VH1. No CD songs at all I lost it.

CD

WTTJ

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

YCBM

SCOM

November Rain

KOHD

PC

They didn't even play Maddy at the show. Calm down kid. It's just a 90 minute broadcast. VH1 Classic will show the full thing next week.

First off I'm not a kid you inept cupcake. Secondly I won't be wasting my time after the bullshit they pulled tonight. Go back to your cave child.

You need to remember vh1 edits all their concerts this way. Its not some gnr conspiracy.

No they dont! They may edit to save time, but EVERY new song was edited out? That wasnt by accident

T

That would be awesome, but I highly doubt it. After watching the concert again last night, I honestly think Axl and GNR won't be making anymore new music again. It's just a feeling I had and I hope to God I'm wrong, because I think if Axl really wants to move ahead with this band, he needs to trust them and himself to release new songs together. Axl and GNR are too young and talented to waste their time singing old classics for the rest of their days.

I'd be depressed if there isn't anymore new music made.
Yeah, I agree but Axl doesn't seem in any hurry to do anything new. When asked about new music, he never really gives a real answer. Axl is very talented and so are the new members of GNR, so I think after awhile they will also want to make new music or move on without Axl. I'm sure it's hard to get the chemistry to write new songs with new people, but other bands are doing it.

A7X lost Jimmy The Rev Sullivan, yet they now have a new drummer, who they are wwriting and recording new music with. when the Rev died, it was like losing their brother and you can't replace family, yet these guys did go on because it's what they do best. Time will tell how the new album goes, but I give them credit for trying to forge ahead.

It's been over 20+ years since the original members have gone, so what could Axl be waiting for? The more the years go by, the more it seems to me like he just doesn't have it in him to begin writing and recording again. Very sad indeed.

I am hoping the live concerts are a sign of the band getting ready to work on something new, and I think we'll get a new song or two this year. They should put a new song out the same day the DVD comes out, or tack it on to the end of the concert film and put it out on Amazon and iTunes. Anyone who bought the DVD through Amazon should get it included with the purchase of the video.

I think the Hard Rock DVD is probably going to be put together better. 3D strippers but of a lot of DJ Ashba hamming it up, too. Hopefully some of the animation they put together for the residency will be some of the bonus footage.

Just watched it. I was pleasantly surprised. Axl sounded really good, not as much rasp as I like, but I still thought it was good. Jungle and Don't Cry were excellent. I just wish this would of happened years ago, like when the album came out. As usual, everything is a little backward in the GNR world, but better late than never.

are they replaying this show at all?

From what I hear (which was at MSL's board I think), the longer version will be broadcast in standard def on Vh1 next week, then the HD version will be on Palladia the week after that.

I watched it last night. I thought it was really good. Axl sounded fine for the most part. He struggled a bit on Paradise City, but he always does since it's the last song of a three-hour show and he's pretty much out of gas by then. I thought his "bad Jesus" speech before that was hilarious haha.

As far as the song selection...I really didn't have a problem with it. This wasn't going to be a showcase for an album that came out in 2008. If anything, it was probably a good thing they played classic hits because it showed he can still sing them.

My only three real problems with the show were:

1. DJ's guitar volume was SO low. You could barely hear him on solos. I don't know how they didn't fix that while putting this together before airing it.

2. Would've liked to hear Estranged and 14 Years mainly because they're two of my favorite GNR songs ever. But it's not that big of a deal since they're apparently airing the whole show in a few weeks in HD (is that right, BTW?).

3. The censoring of curses was pretty annoying. I understand bleeping "fuck" but they really couldn't allow "bitch," "shit" or even "drink and drive" in It's So Easy? I've watched comedy specials on Comedy Central late at night on weekends in the past and they let comedians say every curse except F-bombs, so this was sort of annoying.

Is there a HD version out of this show ? besides the youtube one? where can i get it ? or atleast watch it ?

I think VH1 Classic shows the show or something like it with Eddie Trunk this Saturday Night. Don't know if main VH1 Channel airs it on TV again. And Paladia shows the show later this month. I don't know about HD version. I know about the upcoming TV versions airing.

Does DJ do his hulk hogan hands to the ears thing?

Yes.

Problem?

It's a stupid thing to do at a rock show.

"Problem?" What a silly thing to ask.

With the old band, just the start of the song was enough to send people into a frenzy.

I guess when DJ plays the opening to Jungle, the crowd isn't inspired enough to cheer loudly until DJ himself pretends he's Hulk Hogan and begs the crowd to be louder.

You know Volcano, you can still be a huge fan of a band and not praise and worship every move they make. You worshipping Axl's every move, saying the new band is better than the classic band (who created all the hits that the current band is making a living off of covering), and your constant Slash bashing does NOT make you a bigger GnR/Axl fan. And it isn't going to get you your coveted Mod role on the forum either.

Yes.

Problem?

With the old band, just the start of the song was enough to send people into a frenzy.

I guess when DJ plays the opening to Jungle, the crowd isn't inspired enough to cheer loudly until DJ himself pretends he's Hulk Hogan and begs the crowd to be louder.

You know Volcano, you can still be a huge fan of a band and not praise and worship every move they make. You worshipping Axl's every move, saying the new band is better than the classic band (who created all the hits that the current band is making a living off of covering), and your constant Slash bashing does NOT make you a bigger GnR/Axl fan. And it isn't going to get you your coveted Mod role on the forum either.

Groghanism alert!!!!!!

Just put me on ignore dude...I upset you too much.

Just ignore me and spend time with your hot wife.

Look at the list, you wouldn't take any of those songs except the first one out to make room for new stuff.

CD
WTTJ
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
YCBM
SCOM
November Rain
KOHD
PC

From WTTJ onwards, all of those are must plays, always, prioritized several leagues above and beyond any new song. If you're gonna go out as "Guns N' Roses" those are the songs you have to play. If you're gonna broadcast a "Guns N' Roses" show, those are the songs you have to show.

Edited by moreblack

Yes.

Problem?

Groghanism alert!!!!!!

Just put me on ignore dude...I upset you too much.

Just ignore me and spend time with your hot wife.

Why would you think you upset me? You asked me a question and I responded. That is what typically happens at a forum.

I would love to be at home with my hot wife - unfortunately, I'm at work right now.

Groghanism.......do explain. What are you specifically referencing? Everything I posted is true.

The Hulk Hogan begging for applause thing is embarrassing.

You think the current band is better than the original band.

You were begging to be named a Mod awhile back.

You routinely bash Slash in this section.

The funny thing about you? You are intending to mean Groghanism as an insult, but the way you use it in this post it actually means The Truth!!!!

And why would I block you? Your Axl Rose obsession is always good for a chuckle. And I enjoy chatting with people who have different opinions than I do. That's why I come to this forum. It's guys like you and a couple others that are obsessed with being the forum police and aren't tolerant of other people's opinions. Notice how most of your posts are attacking people who have different opinions than you do? Maybe YOU should put people on ignore? Or go to HTGH where it is worship Axl 24/7.

Just watched the whole show. It's the most epic thing I've ever seen! Axl and the band sound amazing!

I'm now 100% convinced you believe nothing that you post. Thank you for that.

Do you think he is just trolling or do you think he really thinks that?

Just watched the whole show. It's the most epic thing I've ever seen! Axl and the band sound amazing!

I'm now 100% convinced you believe nothing that you post. Thank you for that.

Seriously it sounds good...they must have re-recorded lots of parts.