Dropping the Needle: Alan Niven talks GNR

AndreCC

Guest bellastar2355

So either Axl outwitted everyone else in the band, or those other people didn't care enough about the band (or have the balls) to challenge Axl. It's funny, Slash's most ardent supporters care more about the name thing than he does. Which is some delicious irony if I do say so myself.

Slash can posture all he wants, deep down it stings to know he gave away the band to Axl.

Blame Axl all ya want. But Slash and Duff aren't the idyllic little perfect band members people make them out to be. There's plenty of evidence to suggest Slash's ego was every bit as big as Axl's. Axl was just a little smarter.

This, they did n`t have have balls to challenge Axl and quit like little bitches they are

But how do you deal with a crazy person? How do you deal with someone who asks for photos to show to someone named Yoda? At one point it's normal to say fuck it. Slash, Izzy, Duff, they all moved on, while Axl's still bitching about the past. It's pathetic.

>

So either Axl outwitted everyone else in the band, or those other people didn't care enough about the band (or have the balls) to challenge Axl. It's funny, Slash's most ardent supporters care more about the name thing than he does. Which is some delicious irony if I do say so myself.

Slash can posture all he wants, deep down it stings to know he gave away the band to Axl.

Blame Axl all ya want. But Slash and Duff aren't the idyllic little perfect band members people make them out to be. There's plenty of evidence to suggest Slash's ego was every bit as big as Axl's. Axl was just a little smarter.

This, they did n`t have have balls to challenge Axl and quit like little bitches they are

But how do you deal with a crazy person? How do you deal with someone who asks for photos to show to someone named Yoda? At one point it's normal to say fuck it. Slash, Izzy, Duff, they all moved on, while Axl's still bitching about the past. It's pathetic.

Let me ask you... how do you deal with heroin junkies and alcoholics?

And I take issue your assertion that "they all moved on." Who showed up at Axl's house drunk wanting to be his friend in 2005? Who did interview after interview spreading negativity? Slash even admitted he caused a lot of the negativity. Dare me to post the video where he admits that. Go ahead, dare me. Do you think you should take a cue from Slash and maybe... move on? Also, Axl was asked a question in an interview. He doesn't actively bitch about that stuff- he responds to people inquiring about it.

Like I said: everyone needs to be held accountable, not just Axl. What's so funny is people like you are so bothered by what GnR has become, but you're not even honest with yourself to acknowledge that Slash and Duff and Izzy are partially responsible for what Guns is today. You're so hellbent on pinning it on Axl, but let's be honest: Slash just didn't have the balls to challenge Axl for the name. Slash gave it away. You care more about the name thing than he does.

When more truth is revealed about Axl, the only response is to start attacking Slash, Duff and Izzy. Nutless followers.

Please don't derail the thread as you have done so many times. I didn't "attack" anyone, that's just you being a drama queen. I just said to hold people accountable. Of course you didn't seem to notice where I said repeatedly that Axl should be held accountable too... along with everyone else.

Slash didn't have the balls to challenge Axl. Not sure why you can't just admit that.

You know what my problem is with Axl? I love the man but he always acts like he's the victim... People get tired of that shit

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what my problem is with Axl? I love the man but he always acts like he's the victim... People get tired of that shit

I think that's a fair statement, and believe it or not, I don't disagree that he often casts himself in the victim light.

And one more thing, Axl is not only bitching about the past, but it seems that he lies while bitching about the past too.

I believe it was the tophatted one who said that Axl remember things in a more "colorful" way than he does. Somethin along those lines.

I think that's a fair statement, and believe it or not, I don't disagree that he often casts himself in the victim light.

And one more thing, Axl is not only bitching about the past, but it seems that he lies while bitching about the past too.

I believe it was the tophatted one who said that Axl remember things in a more "colorful" way than he does. Somethin along those lines.

I agree he does seem have a victim mentality, maybe justified maybe not. I am definitely a fan but I do find even the lyrics on songs I like can cross the line into whiney sometimes.

Surely everyone remembers things more colourfully than Slash. Wasn't he virtually comatose for about ten years?

Edited by alfierose

And I take issue your assertion that "they all moved on." Who showed up at Axl's house drunk wanting to be his friend in 2005? Who did interview after interview spreading negativity? Slash even admitted he caused a lot of the negativity. Dare me to post the video where he admits that. Go ahead, dare me. Do you think you should take a cue from Slash and maybe... move on? Also, Axl was asked a question in an interview. He doesn't actively bitch about that stuff- he responds to people inquiring about it.

Like I said: everyone needs to be held accountable, not just Axl. What's so funny is people like you are so bothered by what GnR has become, but you're not even honest with yourself to acknowledge that Slash and Duff and Izzy are partially responsible for what Guns is today. You're so hellbent on pinning it on Axl, but let's be honest: Slash just didn't have the balls to challenge Axl for the name. Slash gave it away. You care more about the name thing than he does.

When more truth is revealed about Axl, the only response is to start attacking Slash, Duff and Izzy. Nutless followers.

I didn't "attack" anyone, that's just you being a passionate drama queen (as usual). I just said that everyone should be held accountable. Interesting you didn't seem to notice where I said very clearly that Axl should be held accountable too. So I guess I was "attacking" Axl as well then, eh? derp

Slash didn't have the balls to challenge Axl. Not sure why you can't just admit that. I guess the truth hurts, doesn't it? :wink wink:

Heroin junkies and alcoholics. :rolleyes: You act like no other GREAT SUCCESSFUL band has not done it.

Yes they were stoned and drunk just like any young rocks stars would be. But yet those some drunks showed up to rehersals, and shows and were ready to go. They were still professional musicians. So don't blame Slash and Duff for being like the Stones, Doors, Beatles etc. as the reason for the break-up.

Axl was not even close anymore with Slash and Duff at that point. He had his yes men around him and he didn't hang out with the others. As far as I know the addiction problems didn't interfere with the shows, or even to record music.

Yes Slash admited he caused negativity, because he's a man I guess, but he doesn't old grudges for 30 years. Besides, even if he says so I never saw one interview where he says terrible things.

You say Slash didn't have the balls to challenge Axl but Axl said Slash told him he was an idiot, a loser. So what is it? Anyway I don't even believe Slash said that, must be another lie from Axl... he seems to lie a lot these days...

Yes I blame Axl for what GNR has become, who else should I blame? He's the one who made CD, he's the one who doesn't release music, he's the one who tours without end while playing the same boring setlist.

Heroin junkies and alcoholics. :rolleyes: You act like no other GREAT SUCCESSFUL band has not done it.

Yes they were stoned and drunk just like any young rocks stars would be. But yet those some drunks showed up to rehersals, and shows and were ready to go. They were still professional musicians. So don't blame Slash and Duff for being like the Stones, Doors, Beatles etc. as the reason for the break-up.

Where did I say I "blamed" Slash and Duff for the breakup? Oh that's right, I didn't. I said they should be held accountable for their actions, just like Axl should be. :fuckyou:

Smarter?? How so?? He hoodwinked his former bandmates and ripped the name from them. But what does he have to show for it? What has he done with the name except for embarrassing it?

Smarter?? How so?? He hoodwinked his former bandmates and ripped the name from them. But what does he have to show for it? What has he done with the name except for embarrassing it?

If Slash and Duff were smarter, they would've held on to the name. That's just like, my opinion, by the way.

What has Axl done with the name?

All the tours have been successful, and although it underachieved by GnR standards, Chinese Democracy sold 3 million+ units worldwide. That's what he's done with the name. Sorry you don't like it. Tough shit for you I guess?

If Slash and Duff were smarter, they would've held on to the name. That's just like, my opinion, by the way.

All the tours have been successful, and although it underachieved by GnR standards, Chinese Democracy sold 3 million+ units worldwide. That's what he's done with the name. Sorry you don't like it. Tough shit for you I guess?

3 million worldwide impresses you?? :rolleyes:

You should take a look at how many Snuggies sold. You'll shit your pants.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. How much of that 3 million is still sitting on store shelves or thrown into a clearance bin?

Sad.

Edited by Carne_asaDA

All the tours have been successful,

Um, if they've had 50 sellouts in their last 500 shows I'd be shocked.

They weren't even in the Top 100 worldwide touring gigs last year.

Riddle me this...

Why do they continually tour if the touring hasn't been successful? And tell me... how many concerts have been cancelled?

Riddle me this...

Why do they continually tour if the touring hasn't been successful? And tell me... how many concerts have been cancelled?

Why are you ignoring that outside of small venues, they can't sell out arenas or stadiums anymore?

They tour for cash grabs. I think the last wedding or two they played has cemented that.

Edited by TheSeeker

They haven't been "touring" lately. Just a few hand picked dates in hand picked countries here and there is not touring. The last time they embarked on an actual full length tour, there were cancellations. Albany and Mississippi come to mind. That was in late 2011. Not that long ago.

Edited by Carne_asaDA

3 million worldwide impresses you?? :rolleyes:

You should take a look on how many Snuggies sold. You'll shit your pants.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. How much of that 3 million is still sitting on store shelves or thrown into a clearance bin?

Sad.

Do you actually read what I write or is it because English isn't your first language that you seem to twist what I say? I never said it "impressive" DID I? NO, I didn't. In fact, I even said "by gnr standards, it underachieved." Jesus Fucking Christ.

Oh and that 3 million is confirmed. You can live in denial about it, like you said "whatever floats your boat."

But since you went there, let's take a look at how Chinese Democracy did around the world, shall we?

sales_zpsdfa829ce.png

Not half bad, eh?

Riddle me this...

Why are you ignoring that outside of small venues, they can't sell out arenas or stadiums anymore?

They tour for cash grabs. I think the last wedding or two they played has cemented that.

I'm not ignoring anything. I said their tours have been successful. You seem bothered by that description for whatever reason. We'll just have to agree to disagree, because as I see it, if a tour is able to continue, repeatedly, year after year, it has some modicum of success, no?

Although, in your spare time you may wanna take a look at the South American and Indian numbers. Big venues. Sold well.

What I'm saying is.............3 million worldwide................ISN'T SHIT!!!!

But, I'm from the school of a great album should not be judged on "sales". Any shitty record with a great marketing plan behind it will make "sales".

The FACT is, the overall opinion or reception of CD...........WORLDWIDE........is SHITTY.

And that does NOTHING but embarrass the name and the decision to hijack it from the former bandmates.

Now, to quote a great man,..........."Sorry you don't like it. Tough shit for you I guess?"

Alan Niven: "Good ol' Axl," he says drily. "No one ever did anything good for him. We all fucked his life, right?"

What I'm saying is.............3 million worldwide................ISN'T SHIT!!!! But, I'm from the school of a great album should not be judged on "sales". Any shitty record with a great marketing plan behind it will make "sales". The FACT is, the overall opinion or reception of CD...........WORLDWIDE........is SHITTY. And that does NOTHING but embarrass the name and the decision to hijack it from the former bandmates. Now, to quote a great man,..........."Sorry you don't like it. Tough shit for you I guess?"

The album wasn't as shittily received as you claim. It got middling reviews, not shitty ones. Sorry you don't like the current band or Chinese Democracy. One has to wonder how much longer you'll continue to subject yourself to this egregious "embarrassment." Because if you haven't figured it out yet, Axl's not going to change. Tough shit for you I guess? lol

Riddle me this...

GNR tours were extremlly sucessufull...Maybe not like Uyi tour or non jovi and acdc tour but still very sucesuffulll...On the other hand I really don't know about what you are talking...Watched Guns n roses 3 times in Budapest 13000,jn Belgrade 15000 and in Sofia 30000+...Bih shows

Very intresting interview, thanks for posting.

Not really a revalation that Axl is super controlling, but it is still intresting to hear stories about the old days

Edited by WhazUp

Guest LarsNorwegw

Why should they have had to follow a formula of 3 AFDs then a UYIs though? Wasn't not following what others have done previously what set them apart and made them so big. By the time they got to a third AFD type album people would have lost interest to some extent and they would have been another Motley Crue.

I'm not saying they had to follow a formula of 3 afd, that's just a suggestion. I'm saying that the band still didn't have an identity strong enough to do a 360º turn on their first album.

It's not that there is a formula... but as an artist if you somehow pretend to have a certain image in your band, and you end up creating a different one, because some crazy guy decided to fuck with all of your tracks without your permission... i think that's pretty disrespectful and destructive as it is entitling yourself as being the band, and making yourself look larger than life and bigger then the band itself as Axl did, but that's only my opinion.

4 guys want the band to have a certain sound and image, then 1 guy wants a different sound and image... what gives the right to that 1 guy go against what the rest of the 4 want? Pretending that what Axl said was true, and that the Illusion records were 2 cds because there was so much material that Izzy has thrown in, Slash has thrown in, and then him as thrown in too, why mess with material that other guys have put in, when he put in his own material on the albums as well?

360?